ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:07 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
It's not about that. The Bookies hate carrying stuff over from chapter to chapter. They want nice sweet bets that resolve fairly quickly. Some of the points raised in this discussion may never be answered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:59 am 
Addict

Zherical wrote:
Michael Poe wrote:
Let’s put it these terms, every few hours a half elf (or elf for that matter) body slowly resets all the various features back to its original factory installed default presets. Now, normal magical powered healing would just be changing features to something else... which ends up being a pointless waste of time since those changes will just be reset back to default. The thing Ian did was to instead change what the actual default presets were so it doesn't matter if it resets or not.

Now this only applies to actual internal changes to how the elf/half elf’s body is made or works... its genetic structure and the like.

Outside stuff like cuts, broken bones, bruises, or viruses are a completely different matter since those don’t really alter the body’s inherent make up in any way, normal healing affects those just fine.

Hail Poe.

Nicely put. Analiss' power, if any, can reach into the supernatural template that keeps an Elven biological body stable over time. All we poor humans have is DNA that can never get the repairs exactly right. Which is why injuries always scar.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Last edited by Boss Out of Town on Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:26 am 
Local

No One wrote:
Kestenvarn wrote:
Sorcerer wrote:
Quote:
Why in the world do people keep bringing this up? It's not like half-elves are cursed, they just have physical defects with resistance to magic

Its that resistance to magic that keeps the healing from being perment

Are you not listening? The healing has already taken effect. It was successful - there is no resistance to break through, because it was already bypassed.

Did Meji "overcome" the resistance when she changed herself into a D-cup? The transformation DID take effect. By the standard you seem to be setting, the resistance should have been already beaten and she should have stayed that way.

But she didn't. The half-Elven magic resistance isn't a "you cast this spell on me and it doesn't work" type thing, but rather a "you cast this spell on me and a little later I'll change back" type thing. Reference here.

According to the Wiki, Leah's condition could have been TB. Now, previously, Meij was trying to permanently change the shape of her body, whilst Leah's change was a change to the condition of her cells. Think of the body's substance as material that has a memory: bend them out of shape, and they revert back to their original shape after a while. TB is a condition, a pathogen, which doesn't materially alter the body's shape. Rather, it inhabits the bodies cells. Once the body is "purged" of the pathogen, then the body is cured. I think. I have no idea if this makes any sense or not :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:18 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
It would be like snatching candy from babes, turning loan-shark, or cutting off Labrat's dangley bits when he tries to hit you with them. :wink:

That last one sounds more like the Thirteenth Labor of Hercules to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:21 am 
Local

ri[[3r wrote:
According to the Wiki, Leah's condition could have been TB. Now, previously, Meij was trying to permanently change the shape of her body, whilst Leah's change was a change to the condition of her cells. Think of the body's substance as material that has a memory: bend them out of shape, and they revert back to their original shape after a while. TB is a condition, a pathogen, which doesn't materially alter the body's shape. Rather, it inhabits the bodies cells. Once the body is "purged" of the pathogen, then the body is cured. I think. I have no idea if this makes any sense or not :-)

The wiki isn't an oracle (I should know, I've written enough of the stuff there). It's just a compilation of what has been observed as the story has unfolded, either from the strip itself or through explanations in the Forum by Poe, Impy, etc. Sure, her condition "could have been" TB. It also "could have been" cancer, or allergies to the known universe, or tiny daemons crawling around in her bronchial tubes, or who knows what. The fact that only TB was mentioned in the wiki, of all these possibilities, doesn't mean squat. Your analysis of how TB works is close enough to correct (as it happens, the body isn't completely "cured" once the germs are dead, there can be residual effects on the lungs depending on how far the disease has progressed), but not particularly meaningful since there is no reason to believe that's what Leah's problem was, wiki or no wiki.

Maybe it would be best to delete that text or move it to the "Speculations" article. Speaking of which, this is reminding me of another wiki article that needs to get written.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:12 pm 
Local

Forrest wrote:
Ah... Kest (I presume) gave me credit for the idea on the Khymforumer speculation page of the wiki, so I figured maybe I was the first to mention it. I like your theory here, too... never thought that Luminosity might actually be a real god, since everyone outside Veracia, even the Elves (who I imagine ran into him personally when he came a'knockin' on their magical barrier, and some of whom have direct experience with genuine gods), seem to consider him a phoney.

Nah, that's not me.

Chaz by way of Immanio, October 2004 wrote:

It's entirely possible that Luminosita will turn out to be a bona fide diety, wich will result in some massivly entertaining hijinks when Meji reaches it, since she's expecting a construct. It could be Exitialis, a Death God ruling over a race damned to die.

It was a great concept, a 'damned' beautiful turn of phrase and it stuck with me. I also find the idea of damn near every pontificating smart-alec character in the comic being utterly /wrong/ about something extremely amusing. And undead Elven gods kick ass. Khaela Mensha Khaine for the win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:56 pm 
Expatriate

Zherical wrote:
Michael Poe wrote:
Let’s put it these terms, every few hours a half elf (or elf for that matter) body slowly resets all the various features back to its original factory installed default presets. Now, normal magical powered healing would just be changing features to something else... which ends up being a pointless waste of time since those changes will just be reset back to default. The thing Ian did was to instead change what the actual default presets were so it doesn't matter if it resets or not.

Now this only applies to actual internal changes to how the elf/half elf’s body is made or works... its genetic structure and the like.

Outside stuff like cuts, broken bones, bruises, or viruses are a completely different matter since those don’t really alter the body’s inherent make up in any way, normal healing affects those just fine.

Hail Poe.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but explained more clearly than I would've been able to. Things like Meji's temporary breast alteration seem to be akin to surgery, only using "fantastical mind powers" instead of a scalpel. But what Ian does appears to be an alteration of the basic genetic blueprint that the body bases it's growth on, not just fiddling with the pre-existing parts grown from that blueprint- I.E., what Poe already said using the computer software analogy. Leah's body won't fight against the modifications because the modifications are her body now.

Now since this subject has been beaten to death and you're all probably wishing I hadn't brought it up again, I present to you a possibility that I don't think has been mentioned before: Ian could enlarge Meji's breasts, and it'd be permanent. Discuss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:42 am 
Local

That he hasn't yet is an indication of his pedophiliac nature.

I wanna see what Labrat has to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:39 am 
Local

Does he know that she wants them any bigger?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:49 am 
n00b

Quote:
Now since this subject has been beaten to death and you're all probably wishing I hadn't brought it up again, I present to you a possibility that I don't think has been mentioned before: Ian could enlarge Meji's breasts, and it'd be permanent. Discuss.

Accidental magic release during sex.

Bookies got any odds on the caring/paternal nature of Meiji and Ian, specifically "we can help these people" or "we need to get you to Tsuriaku"?

Also, I'm looking at the further impact leah and riley will have on the ES story as a whole: will they take up the spot that Jon and Sarine have vacated due to divergent plots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:02 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Shengokai wrote:
Quote:

Accidental magic release during sex.

Bookies got any odds on the caring/paternal nature of Meiji and Ian, specifically "we can help these people" or "we need to get you to Tsuriaku"?

Also, I'm looking at the further impact leah and riley will have on the ES story as a whole: will they take up the spot that Jon and Sarine have vacated due to divergent plots?

1. The Bookies know all about sex magic. It was once used as a form of prayer and one universe uses it as a method of Angelic parasitism. But not this one. Poe has not even hinted at broaching sex magic in his.

2. Less than 60 days ago, Poe definitively commented on the future of Riley and Leah. There ain't one.

Go find Poe's latest comment, click on his profile, then look up every comment he made, and do it for the last two months. Be patient, you'll find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:03 pm 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Zherical wrote:
Michael Poe wrote:

Hail Poe.

Nicely put. Analiss' power, if any, can reach into the supernatural template that keeps an Elven biological body stable over time. All we poor humans have is DNA that can never get the repairs exactly right. Which is why injuries always scar.

It's not DNA that causes scarring. It's the extra connective tissue that grows in quickly so that the wound heals quickly and strongly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:35 pm 
Addict

Killjoy wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
Zherical wrote:
Michael Poe wrote:

Hail Poe.

It's not DNA that causes scarring. It's the extra connective tissue that grows in quickly so that the wound heals quickly and strongly.

Hmmm . . . describing it at a different level then I was. "Scar tissue" is beneficial in some ways immediately after an injury, but "scars" like the damaged muscle I've had in my lower back for twenty-two years is another matter. My point was that our biological template isn't precise or powerful enough to restore even simple tissue damage to exactly what it was before.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:02 am 
Local

You know, I hadn't actually thought of it that way before, that the half-elves' resistance to healing and transmutation magic might be the result of a half-measure of whatever aspect of Elven immortality continually repairs wrinkles and scars. (This probably isn't the first time that's been mentioned, though, is it?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:04 pm 
Local

BloodHenge wrote:
You know, I hadn't actually thought of it that way before, that the half-elves' resistance to healing and transmutation magic might be the result of a half-measure of whatever aspect of Elven immortality continually repairs wrinkles and scars. (This probably isn't the first time that's been mentioned, though, is it?)

I don't think it's so much a half-measure of it, as it is the exact same Elven characteristic. Half-Elves just aren't genetically "perfect" like Elves are - in fact it seems many of them are born more "genetically ill" than even humans, though perhaps it's just the same minor flaws humans have, amplified over their extended life-spans - so the restorative magic trait merely keeps them from being made well permanently, rather than keeping them from falling ill in the first place as it does in Elves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:14 am 
Expatriate

Baby errants with deformities

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3