ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:30 pm 
Local

Hahah, from the linked text!

Bearded lady!

If Sarine could only know....LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:32 pm 
Native

Go Ian, it's your birthday, check out your bad self

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:08 pm 
Addict

Perhaps against a bunch of magicless guys wielding sticks and swords... but against several hundred priests, each with overlapping magical shields and big-freaky energy blasts? Yeah, due to chronic mismanagement they are a lot weaker than the wizzers. But damn near every magic-using male on the continent is owned by these guys. Not to mention that enough bowmen or musketeers will ruin anybody's day if the priests can summon enough energy to take down the wizzers' shields for a few seconds.

The wizzers need somebody or something to act as an ablative meat-shield. Mercenaries, conscripted poor, zombies, giant teddybear cloth-golems. Whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:25 pm 
Addict

Slamlander wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
bellofthedamned wrote:
That's just shadow. You'd see it that way if you were looking at her really closeup from behind, and it's not straight really, but looks that way because we are so very closeup, almost in the back of her head, looking at her brains.

Ian's overconfident, truly overconfident.

Or fatalistic. Who's to say he couldn't heal forty or fifty people at once? Of course, he might kill himself trying, but the only person he cared about in the world was murdered while he was away risking his life finding a way to save hers. Bit of a downer, that.

Good chance, here, for Meji to grow up a little and show some human empathy. Something Bani did for her a long time ago, so she has at least one example to go by.

Nah, she still has a 12-13 year old's body where the hormones haven't even started yet. Trust me, I've raised one of those. Self-centered is a mild description.

Ohhh! I just realised, along with the slow maturation, you also get the extended puberty hormone swings. Instead of 4-5 years or getting bashed around by hormones, Meji gets around 10! Yikes! Poor Meji :-( Even worse, poor anyone around Meji. :cry:

In the <i>Heroes in Hell</i> series, that was the damnation of Brutus, the nice-guy politician who joined the plot to kill Julius Ceasar. He valued reasonable discourse, rational thought, and moral rectitude above all other virtues. So he was condemned to spend eternity as an adolescent, constantly at war with his own hormones.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:27 pm 
Native

Labrat wrote:
giant teddybear cloth-golems

?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:05 pm 
Addict

I am glad to see that somebody around here isn't an uneducated heathen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:55 pm 
Local

Arutema wrote:
So, is Riley the half-elf Sarine mentions here:http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2004-02-23 or just being full of it?

Huh...

If Sarine was actually aware of such rumors, that lead could possible lead Sarine (with Jon and Sara in tow, perhaps) straight - or at least, on a roundabout crooked path - to Santauriel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:54 pm 
Local

Sarine, a lone elf, turns up into Santuriel; a location full of looney halfbreeds that have a couple of millenia worth of grudge to exact. All this and their demand for Ian to do the dirty.

Though he might be placated at the pleading of Jon/Meji. I doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:19 pm 
Addict

Note that Ian (and maybe Meji) is probably the only being in the city with the ability to fight her.
Villagers with pitchforks < Wall of Fire.

And both of their efforts may be blocked by Jon and his stupid 'protector of the enboobened' routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:21 pm 
Local

Labrat wrote:
Perhaps against a bunch of magicless guys wielding sticks and swords... but against several hundred priests, each with overlapping magical shields and big-freaky energy blasts? Yeah, due to chronic mismanagement they are a lot weaker than the wizzers. But damn near every magic-using male on the continent is owned by these guys. Not to mention that enough bowmen or musketeers will ruin anybody's day if the priests can summon enough energy to take down the wizzers' shields for a few seconds.

The wizzers need somebody or something to act as an ablative meat-shield. Mercenaries, conscripted poor, zombies, giant teddybear cloth-golems. Whatever.

Erfworld is sublime. A lot of the Giant's Playground forum posters are pretentious little shits hiding their faults with shallow critism and factual inaccuracies. Ah what the hell, I'll say it, uncensored; "There's a bunch of fucking lying scum trying to bring erfworld down before it even gets off the ground because they think if they talk trash about things, people will want to have sex with them."

Anyways, Tsuiraku fields military Golems.

If I had to guess at how the Mage/Priest Wars went, I'd say the Opium Wars was the analogy to look at (Britain vs. Manchu Dynasty china). Basically that along with the ability to interdict any activity outside continental Veracia, Tsuiraku could march exactly one army wherever the hell it wanted it to, and said army could smash anything the Veracians cared to put in front of it. Thing being, that would be pretty much all Tsuiraku could do; Veracia's frickn' huge and has a lot of armies. They made it impossible for Veracia to hold onto Farrel, and they walked up to the Veracian capital and looted it (kinda like the raid on the Summer Palace). At some point after that, the Veracians got tired of having their economy trashed with impunity and the Tsuirakans were never interested in the war to begin with, and peace broke out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:34 pm 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
These are the same dudes that botched the "Go get Ian" mission in Veracia, eh? You do recall that, that stealthy mission resulted in Emerylon being not so quietly blown apart (and an arrogant fuck Elf getting a building dropped on his ass, as well as other parts of his anatomy, at once)?

Saus, but yeah. I keep forgetting that Poe's pretty much enshrined in his comic a bit of realism. Specifically, everybody's a screw-up. Half-elves leave a openning by having people run around with information about Santuarial, chasing the exact same rumors to find half-elves that Elves chase to find half elves?

And so what? Never occured to any elves to check to see if that was happenning. Likely never will occur, either. One side makes a blunder? The other side makes a negating blunder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:44 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
normalphil wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
These are the same dudes that botched the "Go get Ian" mission in Veracia, eh? You do recall that, that stealthy mission resulted in Emerylon being not so quietly blown apart (and an arrogant fuck Elf getting a building dropped on his ass, as well as other parts of his anatomy, at once)?

Saus, but yeah. I keep forgetting that Poe's pretty much enshrined in his comic a bit of realism. Specifically, everybody's a screw-up. Half-elves leave a openning by having people run around with information about Santuarial, chasing the exact same rumors to find half-elves that Elves chase to find half elves?

And so what? Never occured to any elves to check to see if that was happenning. Likely never will occur, either. One side makes a blunder? The other side makes a negating blunder.

Two hunters, chasing the same tracks, will likely meet each other before finding their mutual prey. Hmmm, Sarine, Sara, and Jon running into Elves that are tracking Santauriel. What will Sarine do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:37 am 
Native

How does one 'track' a fucking town? It's not like the damn thing moves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:18 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Yorik wrote:

Through rumors, gossip, and old records: How whatshisface found Troy.

A town might not move but it can hide. Go up the Pacific Coast Highway and try to find the turn-off for Bodega Bay, California. The residents keep removing the signage to try and keep the tourists away.

American English isn't your native language, is it? That metaphor has been around a good long while.

Last edited by Slamlander on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:12 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
Go up the Pacific Coast Highway and try to find the turn-off for Bodega Bay, California. The residents keep removing the signage to try and keep the tourists away.

Why would a tourist want to go there? Because of "The Birds"?

Hmm... I was going to say that didn't make any sense, but then tourists flock to Mt. Airy, NC, because of Andy Griffith, and I don't understand that either...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:17 am 
Addict

BloodHenge wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
Go up the Pacific Coast Highway and try to find the turn-off for Bodega Bay, California. The residents keep removing the signage to try and keep the tourists away.

Why would a tourist want to go there? Because of "The Birds"?

Hmm... I was going to say that didn't make any sense, but then tourists flock to Mt. Airy, NC, because of Andy Griffith, and I don't understand that either...

Actually, "The Birds" was shot in Morrow Bay. You can tell by the view of Morrow Rock in the background footage. Bodega Bay is an old hippie colony. Basically, refugees from Big Sur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:01 am 
Local

I think Veracia actually managed to not suck enormous amounts of ass in the mage-priest wars, seeing as their priests actually are mages, just shitty ones, but still good enough to make a "god" that can fool the masses of Veracia.

And really, after all, it was the Mage-Priest wars, not the Mages beat the fuck out of the priests rout.

Also, this is all random speculation, but were I a city of mages, I know I'd have a damned good military. Let's see......magically bred beasts, mages who specialize in blasting, mages who specialize in divination(who the fuck needs scouts?) mages who specialize in defenses, mages who specially in illusions to fool, mislead, and scare the shit out of enemy forces, conscripting non-magical people into the ranks of meat-shields, magically enhanced weapons/armor/bows/guns for these meat shields, and, let us not forget the golems. I also imagine that any kind of ambush you could prepare using magic would fuck up someone's day.

That being said, that still does not mean that a force with vastly superior numbers still cannot give you a run for your money, because even if one of your men is worth 100 of theirs, given near-limitless number to throw at you, eventually you're not going to be having a good day.

But, back to the original topic, Tsuiraku(sp?) would probably have a very high chance of having some agenda with someone who has near godlike magical powers. They could either want to kill him because he could threaten their city(if a mage without divine aid could make one floating city crash, imagine what Ian could do, or they might wish to recruit or study him, to furthur their own goals. Don't be so quick to assume that just because we haven't heard from a particular government in a while(or at all) that they won't be a major player later in the story, especially if they might have good cause to be.

And, finally, I think they'd do a hell of a lot better against Ian than the Elves would, because a certain amount of retardism apparently comes with being immortal and perfect.

onion wrote:
Yup, round here we call this 'fishing for whores'...

Last edited by Sylvarius on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:34 am 
Addict

Errr ... who is Ethan?

BTW, those are excellent points and what I was trying to get at earlier. Added to that, they are surrounded by seas. A smallish company of Storm Mages would wreak havoc on any invading fleet. They wouldn't need much more than a Division or two (8K-10K wizards each, 2-4 Regiments per Division).

In any case, they wouldn't need a large standing Army, like Veracia or the Northern Confederacy.

As far as Ian is concerned, only the folk and Santauriel know about him and Sarine only suspects. No one else has a clue yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:06 am 
Addict

Slamlander wrote:
Yorik wrote:

Through rumors, gossip, and old records: How whathisface found Troy.

A town might not move but it can hide. Go up the Pacific Coast Highway and try to find the turn-off for Bodega Bay, California. The residents keep removing the signage to try and keep the tourists away.

Multiply the difficulty by the semi-illiteracy of this society. Signs, maps, and any other written references would be almost non-existant. People who would even know the name of Santuriel would be rare. Only a handful of individuals on the entire northern continent would have actually been there, another handful would know the approximate location, and any search for them would require months if not years of walking from place to place looking for good data and sifting it from the bad.

Has it ever been clarified that no one here has horses because Poe imagined the world that way, or because he doesn't like drawing horses and other animals? Other than cats, that is.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:31 am 
Addict

I thought he had dray horses pulling Riley and Leah's cart?

http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2006-12-06

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next