ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:34 am 
Local

The Gewehr are fairly knowlodgeable of magic. Jon strikes me as one of the few humans outside of Veracia that don't trust magic, actually.

Remember the old lady that was part of the hit that upset the monks so much in the first place? She was using a magic disguise. So infiltration is also something they're used to. Plus their magicked rifles are further evidence of their reliance on magic. To assume they can't use magic just because Jon doesn't is silly.

And the nun's uncharacteristic desire to join an order of monks out of the blue? Sounds fishy to me. Not to mention, we wouldn't hear about it unless it had some relevance in the future. It could either be a spy for the Gewehr, or the tool Anita plans to use to infiltrate the church.

Or, even more awesome, both =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:21 am 
Local

Magic disguise? Are you sure?

They don't seem to employ mages on a large scale, but that doesn't mean they don't employ their services on occasion. Using magic as a tool doesn't yet mean a complete trust in magic.

DEATH: HE IS AN OLD FRIEND. YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:00 am 
Local

Are nuns magic users? We know priests are, but that doesn't necessarily mean nuns are too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:41 am 
Local

BloodHenge wrote:
Are nuns magic users? We know priests are, but that doesn't necessarily mean nuns are too.

This very early strip seems to say they are, although it's not completely clear who's casting the Barrier spell. (The first time I looked at it, I thought it was Ian, not the nun, but now I think it's the nun.)

Incidentally, I wonder if this is the same nun that was watching the fight and inquired about joining the Ensigerum. If so, then we may have at least one major character yet to be developed here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:32 pm 
Local

Graybeard wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:

This very early strip seems to say they are, although it's not completely clear who's casting the Barrier spell. (The first time I looked at it, I thought it was Ian, not the nun, but now I think it's the nun.)

Incidentally, I wonder if this is the same nun that was watching the fight and inquired about joining the Ensigerum. If so, then we may have at least one major character yet to be developed here.

Your post and PillarOfOrder's avatar made me think "Mr. Samael, we meet again..."

It'd be interesting to see Ian vs a Luminosita-Enhanced Time Ninja. ...or maybe it wouldn't be, what with Ian being a god and all.

In fact I think one of the impressive things about Poe's writing talent here is that he has characters of such disproportionate power levels running around in the same story without the less powerful ones being completely overshadowed. Compared to Elves, mages, time-ninjas and Ian, Jon's a dinky little balding monkey... and yet somehow still manages to come off as a bad-ass. Hail Poe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:23 pm 
Addict

Kian wrote:
The Gewehr are fairly knowlodgeable of magic. Jon strikes me as one of the few humans outside of Veracia that don't trust magic, actually.

Remember the old lady that was part of the hit that upset the monks so much in the first place? She was using a magic disguise. So infiltration is also something they're used to. Plus their magicked rifles are further evidence of their reliance on magic. To assume they can't use magic just because Jon doesn't is silly.h =P
\
What magical disguise was that? That was Annie's real face and body. We saw her smoking her pipe outside Gewehr's headquarters and she looked pretty much the same as she did on the mission.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:57 am 
Local

Forrest wrote:
In fact I think one of the impressive things about Poe's writing talent here is that he has characters of such disproportionate power levels running around in the same story without the less powerful ones being completely overshadowed. Compared to Elves, mages, time-ninjas and Ian, Jon's a dinky little balding monkey... and yet somehow still manages to come off as a bad-ass. Hail Poe.

Bad-ass is, as bad-ass does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:41 am 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Kian wrote:

Remember the old lady that was part of the hit that upset the monks so much in the first place? She was using a magic disguise. So infiltration is also something they're used to. Plus their magicked rifles are further evidence of their reliance on magic. To assume they can't use magic just because Jon doesn't is silly.h =P
\
What magical disguise was that? That was Annie's real face and body. We saw her smoking her pipe outside Gewehr's headquarters and she looked pretty much the same as she did on the mission.

That's actually my mistake. During one of the strips the lighting changes and her hair looks a lot darker. Added to the poor detail (since it's all flashback-y) I mistook that for a magical effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:20 pm 
Local

Killjoy wrote:
Forrest wrote:

Bad-ass is, as bad-ass does.

Life is like a box of ammo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:00 am 
Expatriate

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Killjoy wrote:
You know what might be most effective against the time monkeys? Glue-coated or greased floors. 8-)

But it wouldn't shock me if an organization as pragmatic and paranoid as the Wraiths seem to be had some kind of counter against magic available in their headquarters. Might be funny to see how the time monkeys react to suddenly not having time on their side.

Better remedy: piano wire across entryways and random hallways. Let them cut their own legs off a few times any they'll start slowing down indoors.

Probably not - from their perspective, they don't speed up, everything else is just slowed down. So they would probably just cut shin or two, or notice the wire the first time and then avoid the rest easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:39 am 
Local

Tiamat wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
Killjoy wrote:
You know what might be most effective against the time monkeys? Glue-coated or greased floors. 8-)

But it wouldn't shock me if an organization as pragmatic and paranoid as the Wraiths seem to be had some kind of counter against magic available in their headquarters. Might be funny to see how the time monkeys react to suddenly not having time on their side.

Better remedy: piano wire across entryways and random hallways. Let them cut their own legs off a few times any they'll start slowing down indoors.

Probably not - from their perspective, they don't speed up, everything else is just slowed down. So they would probably just cut shin or two, or notice the wire the first time and then avoid the rest easily.

From their perspective, sure...but they really are moving faster -- it's not like they slow down everyone else around them. It's one of the flaws in the very concept of a haste spell or a comic book speedster that has to be overlooked or explained away when telling those stories; it's not just their movements that have to get faster, it's their ability to perceive the world and react to it, and that's a taller order than most people realize, even if "it's magic". Otherwise, they just slam into things a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:52 am 
Local

Killjoy wrote:
Tiamat wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
Killjoy wrote:

From their perspective, sure...but they really are moving faster -- it's not like they slow down everyone else around them. It's one of the flaws in the very concept of a haste spell or a comic book speedster that has to be overlooked or explained away when telling those stories; it's not just their movements that have to get faster, it's their ability to perceive the world and react to it, and that's a taller order than most people realize, even if "it's magic". Otherwise, they just slam into things a lot.

That's why they call this time magic and not speed magic. The time ninjas actually create pockets of accelerated time to inhabit. So, yeah, they're moving at ridiculous, impossible speeds. But their senses and brains are also working at ridiculous, impossible speeds. Plus, as we learned from Sara's meditation flashback, they may be able to exercise a limited form of battle precognition.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3