ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: 2007-03-28 cute, little, pointless hunger strike
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:53 am 
Local

I can't believe I got first post at this late hour - 11.55 am CET

EDIT: Does this mean Poe actually put the comic up at 3 AM? Now that's what I call burning midnight oil. Usually it's up by 8.00 AM CET and several people have already posted to the topic by that time.

DEATH: HE IS AN OLD FRIEND. YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:29 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Let her go?!?!?!

I can't believe that Sarine even suggested that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:39 am 
Local

Why not, neither she and especially not Jon is willing to kill her. She was against bringing her along in the first place but killing prisoners is obviously too barbaric and cruel for her. So a fist-assisted sleep spell and she and Jon are long gone before she wakes up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:06 am 
Addict

An introspective comment from Jon! Yeah, he let her be taken away once before.

And, yeah, of course they aren't going to kill her. She's his sister. Also, in her brainwashed, homicidal, emotionally damaged way, too cute for words.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:54 am 
Local

Still, either Sara's attitude is going to have to come around, or John is going to have to leave her. As unpalatable a choice as that is for him. He lost her once, I doubt he wants to lose her again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:03 am 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
An introspective comment from Jon! Yeah, he let her be taken away once before.

And, yeah, of course they aren't going to kill her. She's his sister. Also, in her brainwashed, homicidal, emotionally damaged way, too cute for words.

... and she is in manacles ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:07 am 
Local

Ah, i read it to mean they had tried letting her go already and she probably tried to kill them.

Damn, I really wish Poe had written this with a "meanwhile" tag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:50 am 
Local

Sarine's comments here are interesting, both for what's said and for what's unsaid. The bit about holding "far better mages" than Sara strikes me as having the risk of underestimating what the Ensigerum can do -- and Sarine just about died previously because she underestimated what the Ensigerum can do. One would think she'd have learned by now. OTOH, these magical manacles were probably developed with the lessons of Shiro Hideaki in mind, so you can't really blame her. Still...

It's also interesting that she has not said anything (yet) about using the mind-influencing spells that are one of her standard tricks, e.g. what she did to bandit Jim before Jon decided to take matters into her own hands. Maybe she's already decided they won't work -- but that would be at odds with her view of the magic manacles. Or maybe it's a plot device yet to come.

Question for discussion: if she does try to resolve the problem by giving Sara a command to do something that she will be forced to obey, what will the command be? You're free to indulge in kinky fantasies, of course, but I really intend the question from a story-line perspective...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:54 am 
Expatriate

Graybeard wrote:
Sarine's comments here are interesting, both for what's said and for what's unsaid. The bit about holding "far better mages" than Sara strikes me as having the risk of underestimating what the Ensigerum can do

Especially since Sara seems to be concentrating intently on the manacles, which are glowing in the last frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:04 am 
Expatriate

Oh, good catch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:20 am 
Local

Well, the manacles are magical and in use, hence probably the glowing, as if Sarine wouldn't notice if that ment something is up. The manacles were probably made for half-elven mages - remember Sarine's job! I'm not sure how effective mind spells are on strong, trained minds, Jon had to punch Sara for the sleep spell to work, because she was resisting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:34 am 
Green Text

I like Ellis' little comments in the background, especially when Jon starts eating it.

Deadly Sin No.8 wrote:
Especially since Sara seems to be concentrating intently on the manacles, which are glowing in the last frame.

:-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:49 am 
Local

You know, as far as escape attempts go, going on a hunger strike is really dumb. She'll need her strength to get away and back to the monks. If it takes her longer than a few days to free herself, she's going to have to start accepting food. Not to mention, acting more cooperatively could lead to her captors lowering their guard.

Which would lead one to assume that either escaping isn't something she is very preoccupied with right now, or she really sucks at it.

Going with the first choice, it might be indicative of inner turmoil, meaning she is not as emotionless as she acts, just very good at not showing it. Of course, what the nature of that turmoil is would be hard to guess. Could be that she wasn't as ready to face her brother, or really sad that her master is dead.

In any case, it doesn't look like her remedial test is going too well right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:00 am 
Addict

Graybeard wrote:
It's also interesting that she has not said anything (yet) about using the mind-influencing spells that are one of her standard tricks . . .

Using a mind-twisting spell on Jon's sister? That could get her a bullet in the head. He doesn't like that sort of thing.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:03 am 
Addict

Kian wrote:
You know, as far as escape attempts go, going on a hunger strike is really dumb. She'll need her strength to get away and back to the monks. If it takes her longer than a few days to free herself, she's going to have to start accepting food. Not to mention, acting more cooperatively could lead to her captors lowering their guard.

Now, there you go being rational. Refusing food from people she hates would make perfect sense to a religious fanatic with family abandonment issues. The monks have had years to screw up Sara's mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:03 pm 
Local

See, that's why I'm against crazy fanatical groups, and in favour of robotical dictatorship. You can at least understand the reasoning of machines. Except those darn final five. Those are nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:36 pm 
n00b

I don't think that it is a hunger strike. She is one of the Ensigerum (in a manner of speaking), so it stands to reason that she knows that they will eventually find out what happened. So rather than not eating because she's pouting, I think that she is not eating (and staring into space for that matter) because she is; worried, trying to second guess her superiors, and trying to think of some way to escape. On a side note, about the lack of food affecting physical strength, she is a monk. They are kinda used to privation I would imagine. Also, I'm sure Jon wouldn't let her starve. I think he'd force feed her if she really tried to stave herself.

As for Sarine not using her mind-influencing spells... I think that we are giving her ability for self introspection too little credit. She already tried that on Jon, and it worked, but it blew up in her face anyway. So, since she's already feeling guilty about that, and because she has a slight friendship with Jon, I doubt she will.
The option of cold-cocking Sara and putting her to sleep is a good one though. At least until you consider that she will most likely try to finish her mission.
Poor Jon, all the ladies seem to hate him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:57 pm 
Local

Kian wrote:
You can at least understand the reasoning of machines.

This statement leads me to believe that you have never attempted to write, compile, and run a computer program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:47 am 
Local

BloodHenge wrote:
Kian wrote:
You can at least understand the reasoning of machines.

This statement leads me to believe that you have never attempted to write, compile, and run a computer program.

You'd be wrong, then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:04 am 
Local

Kian wrote:
You'd be wrong, then.

3 line perl scripts do not count.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next