ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: 06Apr07 - Would I have been able too if I had actually tried?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:22 pm 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Kestenvarn wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
Forrest wrote:
Gherrit White FTW.

FTW :confused:

For The Win.

:confused: So its not just the inverse of WTF?

What Teh Fuck??????

Sorry, couldn't resist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:34 pm 
Addict

Zherical wrote:
Same shit, different smell, forrest.

rofl

Now, wait a minute. I distinctly remember that there was a feminist revolution back in the 60s and 70s and, political and cultural moderate that I am, I managed all my relationships through and up to my marriage on a basis of shared expense of one sort or another.

So, a half century later, we are back to males always paying for the entire cost of dates? Regardless of the income levels of those involved?

Cripes, no wonder you younger guys spend all your time hanging out with other men and vilifying women. You've turned dating into a cash transaction. Yuck.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:30 am 
Expatriate

The girls got smart, some of them are using a market situation to their advantage. They found that some guys are willing to pay for their dates and the girls preferentially go out with those guys, the indifference curve of date-paying guys is higher, therefore every guy has to be willing to pay if they want a date.

Re: the feminist movement of the "60s and 70s"
See, just cause someone says they want something, don't actually mean that's what they want or that that is what they are going to get.

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Zherical wrote:
Same shit, different smell, forrest.

rofl

Now, wait a minute. I distinctly remember that there was a feminist revolution back in the 60s and 70s and, political and cultural moderate that I am, I managed all my relationships through and up to my marriage on a basis of shared expense of one sort or another.

So, a half century later, we are back to males always paying for the entire cost of dates? Regardless of the income levels of those involved?

Cripes, no wonder you younger guys spend all your time hanging out with other men and vilifying women. You've turned dating into a cash transaction. Yuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:06 am 
Addict

Mestro wrote:
The girls got smart, some of them are using a market situation to their advantage. They found that some guys are willing to pay for their dates and the girls preferentially go out with those guys, the indifference curve of date-paying guys is higher, therefore every guy has to be willing to pay if they want a date.

Re: the feminist movement of the "60s and 70s"
See, just cause someone says they want something, don't actually mean that's what they want or that that is what they are going to get.

Officially, per the scholars, we have "First Wave feminism" or the "First Feminist movement" of the 19th Century, cumulating in women in Western society getting the vote and becoming property owners rather than property themselves in the eyes of the law. The "Second Feminist Revolution" came about after World War II and ran out of steam in the late 70s. Its goal was cultural and economic equality, and it achieved--and still is achieving--most of its aims. Unfortunately, it coincided with a general decay in tradtional cultural restraints. So, we have a generation of women, some actively pursuing equality, some just going with the flow, a generation of men doing the same, while a mysogynist backlash threatens to undo the results of both feminist revolutions.

Bummer, dude, overall. Where civilized restraints break down, the bullies and hustlers take over. Unless you're one of the bullies or hustlers, it isn't much fun, regardless of gender.

Obviously, we need the Elves to come out of hiding and patrol the dance clubs and bars. They'll make everyone feel equally inferior.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:21 am 
Addict

My views on the subject boil down to this: OF COURSE women are the equal of men, and men the equal of women. Some women are better than some men at some things, and some men are better than some women at some things. What that boils down to is a whole lot of equality spiced with human variation.

What matters isn't what you ARE, it's what you do with it.

On the matter of paying for dates, some women have simply realized that they themselves are commodities, and they have found men who, evidently, agree and used that to negotiate what they want out of life. If you're a man, and you disagree, simply have the strength of will not to go along with it. Eventually you'll find a woman who will let you.

Likewise, there are some men who have realized that some women view them (or just being married) as a commodity, and they have traded on that to give them power, just as the women did in the example above. If you're a woman, and you disagree that your husband should have absolute power, simply have the strength of will to stop going along with it. There are, thanks to strong women before you, laws in place and shelters to turn to that will protect you from harm when you say no.

^-^'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:35 am 
Local

How did a couple jokes about applying logic to combinations of popular idioms to get funny conclusions turn into a serious discussion about feminism?

For the record: chicks rock, so do dudes, equality for all, peace and free love, everybody GROUP HUG!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:44 am 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
...while a mysogynist backlash threatens to undo the results of both feminist revolutions.

Not to mention the mysandrist backlash against the mysogynist backlash...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:26 pm 
Addict

Forrest wrote:
How did a couple jokes about applying logic to combinations of popular idioms to get funny conclusions turn into a serious discussion about feminism?

:-P We can't help it, we are all so incredibly intellectual it just leaks out into daily conversation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:14 am 
Expatriate

Boss Out of Town wrote:
The "Second Feminist Revolution" came about after World War II and ran out of steam in the late 70s. Its goal was cultural and economic equality, and it achieved--and still is achieving--most of its aims. Unfortunately, it coincided with a general decay in tradtional cultural restraints.

Breaking down traditional socio-cultural and economic patriarchy would of course result/coincide with a more general decay in traditional culture. Personally, I keep an eye out for the hustlers and bullies while looking for the real women.

You can't treat a woman as an equal if she doesn't treat herself as your equal. (anyone quoting me out of context with the above will die) Then of course, there are the women who want to be treated as equals while remaining on the pedestal.

ibid wrote:
They'll make everyone feel equally inferior.

People are very good at finding someone else they feel less inferior to. :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3