ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:52 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
I agree with Greybeard but add one thing that I haven't seen anyone here think of, yet. It's a test.

Yes, Sarine overheard and made a tactical decision to remove the manacles now, under controlled conditions, than to let Sara remove them herself, under uncontrolled conditions later. This lays all the cards on the table, face up. She is telling Sara that she has to either negotiate joining them or to leave them and make her own way. But that decision is strictly up to Sara and Sarine just removed herself from that equation.

Now Sara has to make her own decision on whether to deal with Jon or not. Remember that she knows her organization well. Well enough that she cannot trust the reception she'd get from Anita. She also has very few marketable skills, except murder and mayhem and the only other employers around for that are also Jon's bosses. They probably love to have her but they'd need assurances, from Jon, that they are not getting set up. He's not giving that unless he know for sure. Basically, if she goes now then she's even further out in the cold and she probably knows it. Why she hasn't slipped the cuffs before now. With this move, Sarine is forcing that issue.

After 3,000 years, Sarine either knows or can guess what sort of perdicament Sara is now facing. Sarine has also set herself up as the one Sara has to negotiate with. Sarine is also telling Sara that she trusts her word and that Sarine doesn't give a shit what Jon wants, that it is purely Sara's decision to either open negotiations or leave.

Sara, facing either complete uncertainty or negotiatiing agreements with an elf, will probably open negotiations. Sarine, not being the complete bitch, won't drive too hard a bargain, beyond a basic security compact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:08 pm 
Local

Wait... Are you trying to claim that someone talented at time-magic and melee fighting would have a problem finding lucrative employment? She could live royally as a self-employed proprietor.

Besides... You don't _negotiate_ with a kitten that decides to follow you, or not. You can drag it along, leave her in a plastic^Wmagical bag or try to lure it with treats... But not negotiate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:16 pm 
Local

Rakshasa wrote:
Wait... Are you trying to claim that someone talented at time-magic and melee fighting would have a problem finding lucrative employment? She could live royally as a self-employed proprietor.

Correl. You know, Chris's father.

Employment (or self-employment) would have to come with a reasonable expectation of protection, which is just impossible in this case. The Gewehr get a sort of exemption, since they're all marked for death by the Ensigerum anyway.

She'd be better of just starting a completely new life somewhere as run-of-the-mill mage. After a suitable round of polymorph-magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:18 pm 
Local

Rakshasa wrote:

Besides... You don't _negotiate_ with a kitten that decides to follow you, or not. You can drag it along, leave her in a plastic^Wmagical bag or try to lure it with treats... But not negotiate.

I assumed he meant negotiation in the other direction; the kitten trying to find some conditions under which you'll let it tag along with you freely, instead of you just stomping it's head or leaving it in the plastic bag.

Of course, this whole analogy is a little off. Sara is no kitten. (Although she is <i>meow</i>).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:53 am 
Local

I dunno Forrest..

She looks to me slightly man-ish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:34 am 
Tourist

hi hi

One problem for Sara now is that she can no longer go back and say she escaped (unless she's a really good liar, and even then someone might be able to tell) and if she tells her superiors that she was released...they probably wont be very happy to hear it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:41 am 
Local

spacecoyote_vega wrote:
ri[[3r wrote:
jealousy, pure and simple

No. Practicality. Time is an issue here. It is hella inconvenient to have to be dragging a prisoner after you across half a continent. Not to mention that having a member of the Ensignarium as a hostage might give the time-monks more reason to take action against them. Better if you can just wash your hands of the whole thing. Which Sarine is probably not going to be able to do, at this point, but she doesn't know that.

Hang on, maybe Sarine fancies Sara and, in an attempt not to get *herself* distracted, she's trying to remove her own distraction. I guess this is in column B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:44 am 
Local

Zherical wrote:
I dunno Forrest..

I'd'a said boyish - in a good way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:05 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Rakshasa wrote:

Not trying to claim, stating it baldly. No she can't. Do you know about Union towns and union shops? In this case, the two unions are the Ensigerum and the Gewehr.

1)She can't go back to the Ensigerum.

2)Because she came from there the Gewehr will not trust her unless Jon provides bona fides. Her provinance is at issue here.

3)Chris' father tried setting up his own thing and got promptly and messily shut down by the Ensigerum, including execution of all students IIRC. Sara knows this. Sara doesn't have the contacts to be a credible hired assassin, that was way past her level.

Rakshasa wrote:
Besides... You don't _negotiate_ with a kitten that decides to follow you, or not. You can drag it along, leave her in a plastic Wmagical bag or try to lure it with treats... But not negotiate.

The other way 'round. Sara has to negotiate with Sarine if she wants to join them. Sarine has, with one swoop, aced Jon out of this loop. If Sara asks nice and provides the right consessions, Sarine *might* let her tag along.

Note that Sarine was in no way going to let the status quo continue anyway and especially after what she heard the night before. This gambit had to happen.

Last edited by Slamlander on Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:09 pm 
Addict

Zherical wrote:
I dunno Forrest..

Dude, you just ain't lookin' at her from the right angle. :roll:

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:05 pm 
Local

Well.. one thing we know for sure.. *if* the Gewehr accepted her in, they would definitely exploit her training in time-magic, and she would be necessary to teach such techniques to the other Gewehr.

Maybe the whole reason studying time magic was banned in Tsuiraku was to stop massive wars between super-powered factions capable of wiping each other out near instantly, and the obvious repercussions of them probably taking out all comers on the sides just for good measures.

People moving at normal speeds are people you can kill, regardless of how useless you are at magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:55 am 
Local

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's MONDAY

the long debated issue of <3's will be here TODAY!

YUSSSSSSSSSSs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:26 am 
Tourist

*looks at Calendar*

*is confused*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:05 am 
Local

Not everyone lives at GMT -3 to -5. Some people live at GMT +12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:41 am 
Addict

Not to mention GMT+1

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:46 am 
Addict

Rakshasa wrote:

BTW, dude, you need to check your PMs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:02 pm 
Addict

Zherical wrote:
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's MONDAY

the long debated issue of <3's will be here TODAY!

YUSSSSSSSSSSs

Not necessarily. Remember they've just gotten back from TekkoshoCon so Convention Comic Rules are still applicable. At least this isn't a massive cliffhanger. Cliffhanger, for sure, but not to the magnitude of previous arcs.

Just be patient...and don't be suprised if there's another filler. Considering how much Poe's been working his fingers to the bone, I hope he was able to relax somewhat at the con. Along with sell all their stock in the Dealer's Room.

Sifu of Corpse Child

Caecus fides est hostilis veritatis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:25 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
BTW, dude, you need to check your PMs.

What, you expect me do read PMs?

And about this being a conversation, not a debate... Are you really sure you want me to demonstrate how I'd hold a debate? Rather not... What inner voice you apply when reading my posts have great effect on how it gets interpreted.

Quote:
The other way 'round. Sara has to negotiate with Sarine if she wants to join them. Sarine has, with one swoop, aced Jon out of this loop. If Sara asks nice and provides the right consessions, Sarine *might* let her tag along.

I'd say there's only really two directions that are of interest to Sarine. Where Sara either decides to be a monk of the Ensigerum or be Jon's little sister. The Ensigerum has pretty much demanded that she makes a mutually exclusive choice here.

If she makes the latter choice, then Sarine won't have much to say, as she is then _Jon's_ sister. Any 'negotiation' would depend on Sara first choosing which path she'll tread.

AKA a cute kitten with sharp fangs and claws deciding which thumb she should nibble on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:49 am 
Addict

Jon might have difficulty vouching for his sister to the Gewehr, seeing as how they set him up to be killed so he can't possibly be in their best graces at the moment.

Also, we drove back on Monday. Typically our conventions stretch from Thursday (the travel day) to Monday (the travel home day). That way we have a chance to rest and relax before making the return drive.

^-^'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:38 pm 
Addict

Which basically says that she has a snowball's chance in hell of getting with the Gewehr. This leaves her with nowhere to go if she can't hang with her brother and Sarine. Talk about "out in the cold". It's worse than working for the CIA at the height of the Cold War, with presumptive turn-coat rules.

The thing is, Jon may be out in the cold too. While they didn't set him up to be killed, exactly, they do treat him as expendable since his last screw up. This may get worse if his bosses find out that his sister was trained as Ensigerum. They already know that he's traveling with an elf.

I love these spy v spy plots :-D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next