ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:25 pm 
Local

Amaterasu wrote:
Mestro wrote:
The sides of the cut would clamp on the blade, vibra-handle instead of vibra-blade.

That shouldn't be a problem because the blade is not physically attached to the hilt. It floats free in the air magically attached to the hilt. The vibration would not be transmitted to the hilt.

Does the hilt/shaft transfer force to the blade? It has to, obviously. This strongly implies that the blade also tranfers force to the hilt/shaft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:17 am 
Local

Force in general, yes, but not necessarily vibration. For one thing, we know the blade can change shape, so the vibration may be due to rapid fluctuations in volume rather than position. Second, we don't necessarily know that the magic blade must necessarily obey the law of conservation of momentum to the letter, so it could be tethered to within a certain distance from the hilt but vibrate in place, keeping the same average position but rapidly moving from slightly to one side to slightly to the other side.

Hmm... All this talk of vibrating swords reminded me of something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:07 am 
Addict

Killjoy wrote:
Amaterasu wrote:
Mestro wrote:
The sides of the cut would clamp on the blade, vibra-handle instead of vibra-blade.

That shouldn't be a problem because the blade is not physically attached to the hilt. It floats free in the air magically attached to the hilt. The vibration would not be transmitted to the hilt.

Does the hilt/shaft transfer force to the blade? It has to, obviously. This strongly implies that the blade also tranfers force to the hilt/shaft.

Umm . . . no it doesn't. This is magic. The flow of energy can do what it damn well pleases.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:28 am 
Local

Also, the blade-to-hilt connection could have some kind of suspension(what with the blade being floating and all). It would allow to excert force on the vibrating edge, but at the same time the vibrating edge wouldn't pass along annoying vibrations to the hilt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:54 am 
Local

What the hell is "magic" anyway?

And why has the plot allowed people to go from needing elaborate wording to cause a spell to happen, to now needing nothing more than a constipated bowel and a severe facial exertion?

Let the catgirls burn!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:04 am 
Addict

Zherical wrote:

And why has the plot allowed people to go from needing elaborate wording to cause a spell to happen, to now needing nothing more than a constipated bowel and a severe facial exertion?

When you think about it, you just discribed the difference between the quarterback and the offensive center just before the snap of the ball. All a matter of what task the caster is trying to accomplish.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Last edited by Boss Out of Town on Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:27 am 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
When you think about it, you just discribed the difference between the quarterback and the offensive center just before the snap of the ball. All a matter of what task the caster is trying to accomplished.

I have no idea what this has to do with that weird hand^Wfootball thing you guys play...

Anyway, IMO spells of different complexity require varying amounts of hand waving. When releasing what is essentially pure magical energy in the general direction of your opponent, all you need is to point your limb in their direction and channel.

Also, I think it might just be for the looks. Or Meji's been reading too many comics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:47 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Rakshasa wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
When you think about it, you just discribed the difference between the quarterback and the offensive center just before the snap of the ball. All a matter of what task the caster is trying to accomplished.

I have no idea what this has to do with that weird hand^Wfootball thing you guys play...

Anyway, IMO spells of different complexity require varying amounts of hand waving. When releasing what is essentially pure magical energy in the general direction of your opponent, all you need is to point your limb in their direction and channel.

Also, I think it might just be for the looks. Or Meji's been reading too many comics.

Sometimes, it's just the will and the word and other times the magic user just wants to show off. (See: The Riven Codex, David Eddings)

Last edited by Slamlander on Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:14 am 
Addict

Meji is fond of flashy spells, whether or not a flashy casting is actually needed for it.

Sarine is fond of not wasting energy.

Guess who we're seeing cast stuff more often these days?

^-^'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:20 pm 
Addict

Imp-Chan wrote:
Meji is fond of flashy spells, whether or not a flashy casting is actually needed for it.

Sarine is fond of not wasting energy.

Guess who we're seeing cast stuff more often these days?

If Sarine favors efficiency, nothiing's more efficent and dangerous than a fighter with three thousand years of skill and experience and a well-made handgun. Not to mention that it would be a barrel of laughs watching Jon give her shooting lessons.

So, I hope she and Jon start getting along better than they have been. If they could stop picking at each other for a while, they could become the well-honed team we keep fantasizing them as.

Okay, I'll leave the "well-boned" pun to someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:31 pm 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:

So, I hope she and Jon start getting along better than they have been. If they could stop picking at each other for a while, they could become the well-honed team we keep fantasizing them as.

Okay, I'll leave the "well-boned" pun to someone else.

That Jon and Sarine seem work well together is right now an inexplicable ugly fact, not fantasy. For all I know it's their mutual antagonism that does it in the first place. They appear to have gotten each-other's number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:33 pm 
Native

Zherical wrote:

Well obviously Sarine is one of those god awful epic level Forgotten Realms NPCS who has like at least one level in every class, three different prestige classes, (one or more of which was obliviously created just for her so her game stats can match up with all the crazy shit Greenwood/Salvatore/whofuckever wrote her doing in the novels) and has some sort of special power she got from fucking a god, wining a bet with the devil, being born as a natural font of magic or a special mary sue race that pc's aren't allowed and therefore she can just run around all day tossing out quickened, silent, still meteor storms and shit.

And Sara? Well Sara's player is a fucking min/maxer who read one of those bloody Character Optimization forums and is using a cheesy build that involves some overpowered fighter/monk/wizard Prc from a splatbook that lets her cast time stop at level twelve and proves that the Devs never actually do play testing anymore since DnD got bought out by the 87th Big Evil Corporation That Obviously Only Cares About Selling More Books And Will Ruin the Game Forever(tm) to do that since the 80's.

Meanwhile Ian's player left the game because she finally got a RL boyfriend and so the GM decided to turn her character into a major plot npc. And Meji and Jon's players are bored, and want to quit the campaign and go back to running an Exalted game. And Bani's player decided to quit after showing up for just one game session and keeps promising that he'll come back for the next campaign.

Okay... I forgot what I was replying to... oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:04 pm 
Addict

Ooohh! Brilliant. Describes a number of people I know from past and current campaigns.

I discovered over the weekend that we are losing one player for quite some time due to open heart surgery. Didn't have that problem back when we were all just out of college. So that's our primary healer and best second-string fighter going to NPC status.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm 
Local

Michael Poe wrote:

You know, this demonstrates that not every Poe saying regarding ES should get immortalized in the wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:11 pm 
Local

Michael Poe wrote:
Zherical wrote:

Well obviously Sarine is one of those god awful epic level Forgotten Realms NPCS who has like at least one level in every class, three different prestige classes, (one or more of which was obliviously created just for her so her game stats can match up with all the crazy shit Greenwood/Salvatore/whofuckever wrote her doing in the novels) and has some sort of special power she got from fucking a god, wining a bet with the devil, being born as a natural font of magic or a special mary sue race that pc's aren't allowed and therefore she can just run around all day tossing out quickened, silent, still meteor storms and shit.

And Sara? Well Sara's player is a fucking min/maxer who read one of those bloody Character Optimization forums and is using a cheesy build that involves some overpowered fighter/monk/wizard Prc from a splatbook that lets her cast time stop at level twelve and proves that the Devs never actually do play testing anymore since DnD got bought out by the 87th Big Evil Corporation That Obviously Only Cares About Selling More Books And Will Ruin the Game Forever(tm) to do that since the 80's.

Meanwhile Ian's player left the game because she finally got a RL boyfriend and so the GM decided to turn her character into a major plot npc. And Meji and Jon's players are bored, and want to quit the campaign and go back to running an Exalted game. And Bani's player decided to quit after showing up for just one game session and keeps promising that he'll come back for the next campaign.

You know, I might be wrong, but it sounds like Poe is making some kind of comment about people trying to break down all fantasy works as if they're AD&D.

"Dude, how can she cast that without verbal and somantic components? She's clearly using mage levels to access magic!"

Again, I might be wrong, but I don't think that ES works like Order of the Stick.

I don't recall Sarine ever needing big flashy long-winded phrases to cast magic. It's possible Meji just likes being flashy, or uses a different style because she learned magic in Tsuiraku over the last several years, instead of from elves almost 3000 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:05 am 
Expatriate

Zherical wrote:

Something indistinguishable from any sufficiently advanced technology?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4