ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 4/20/2007 "...exactly like your brother..."
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:12 pm 
Local

It's a fight she wants then, then it's a fight she has. Wonder what Sarine has prepared to stop her own death?

Sara doesn't seem to have any problem handling an elf, so if a coming war pits elves against time mages, the elves could be decimated. With their declined birth rates, they could be wiped out completely.

Also, as a trained assassin, why is Jon sleeping through all this???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:18 pm 
Local

She could be hoping that Jon sees the ruckus and takes his sister out to save her. Elf chicks these days, I tell ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:19 pm 
Addict

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

This might get Freudian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:51 pm 
Local

Or Jon could be in Magic-assisted-la-la-land. (out cold...)

DEATH: HE IS AN OLD FRIEND. YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:25 pm 
Expatriate

Wow bad idea in the making.

Who called that one? He was dead on.

Fighting Sara will only drive a wedge between Sarine and Jon even further, making the 'Ian problem' a task that he'll very unlikely assist with.

Bigger picture here!

And I really didn't get the impression that Warrel was being extremely honorable in their fight. If by honorable, that means 'we don't go all speedy.'

If anything, Warrel was toying with Sarine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:38 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Sara is wrong! Sarine wouldn't be doing this if she hadn't multiple aces up her sleeves. The last speech bubble in the last panel is telling. It is almost certainly true and Sara would be a fool to not realise it.

Sarine's harping on how much Sara looks and acts like her brother is forcing Sara to remember what some of this is all about. Sarine is far from ignorant about human psychology. After all, she had a human mate for a while and bore his child.

Basically, Sarine likes humans and wants to redeem this one. She seems to be growing rather fond of Jon as well.

Sara has been brooding since her capture and as Jon pointed out, she could have escaped long before. She has simply not decided that she wants to. But it can't go on like that forever and Sarine has things that she needs to do and she ostensibly needs Jon to help her. So, Sarine is forcing the issue, making Sara come to terms immediately.

This may be "the fight that could have been but never was".

This also raises Sara's curiousity about what sort of elf her brother has been boffing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:29 am 
Local

... Sarine likes humans and wants to fuck this one ...

there, fixed that for yah

I for one can't wait to see the results of Sara and Sarine, uh, bonding.

I'll be in my bunk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:57 am 
Expatriate

ri[[3r wrote:
I'll be in my bunk.

You would happen to be in the Navy or Coast Guard would you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:27 am 
Addict

GWhite wrote:
ri[[3r wrote:
I'll be in my bunk.

You would happen to be in the Navy or Coast Guard would you?

He's a Firefly fan.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:32 am 
Addict

:eng101: Good, good, good character work in every panel and bubble. Jon, of course, is either under a sleep or silence ward, "so it's just between us girls."

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:23 am 
Local

You know, considering Sarines last event with the Time Ninjas, after she 'thought' she had in under control, I somehow think she's either not going to have this all wrapped up like she thinks, or that she's bluffing.

It seems Sara DOES share a practical streak with her brother, among with the natrual skill to confound Sarine (Sexily!). Or maybe she just doesn't think Sarine would be worth a fight.

She does have her Dolon in the first panel, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:43 am 
Local

Kurt: that was me.

If I was Sara, I'd just turn a blind eye to the situation.

I personally see no reason for a conflict, though, I can agree with Slamlander. Basicly;

Sarine could have chosen a hundred better ways to accomplish those goals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:03 am 
Local

I'm guessing Sarine's not pitching an unfair fight here. My guess is she's just created a level playing field for them. I think it's a reason for Sara to get out her aggression, to get her chance to attack an elf and prove herself a loyal time ninja...or her chance to prove she's got something worth saving inside her.

Whether Sara can see it or not, Sarine's on a mercy mission here -- she could just slit Sara's throat right now and then slit Jon's if she really felt up to it.

For some reason, I get the foreboding sense that Sarine will be the downfall of elves. They can't live forever holed away from the world, and Sarine, obviously, has sided with humanity. Oh God, I hope the end of ES doesn't see Sarine sacrificing her life for some lofty goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:25 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
bellofthedamned wrote:
Whether Sara can see it or not, Sarine's on a mercy mission here -- she could just slit Sara's throat right now and then slit Jon's if she really felt up to it.

Actually, that thought had crossed my mind but it seemed out of her character.

bellofthedamned wrote:
For some reason, I get the foreboding sense that Sarine will be the downfall of elves. They can't live forever holed away from the world, and Sarine, obviously, has sided with humanity. Oh God, I hope the end of ES doesn't see Sarine sacrificing her life for some lofty goal.

Not only would that be very manga-ish but it fit's with Sarine's character ... the nobel self-sacrifice. Yulk! I was trying really hard not to see that option, thanks Bell. :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:30 am 
Addict

Rubber Band Man wrote:
She does have her Dolon in the first panel, right?

Yep and she hasn't energized it or made any other offensive move. Tactically, she is still at a severe disadvantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:49 am 
Local

Elven thinking may be ossified and their outlook is smug in their own superiority, but they're not stupid. Sarine was definately taken by surprise the first time, but now that she has actually seen time warping in action, she may have applied her own knowledge of magical theories and principles to come up with a counter.

And I can't help but think that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree - Sarine seems to indicate that Sara is a lot like her brother in both mannerisms and reactions and may be playing upon that.

As for Jon, I'm betting he is fully aware of what's going on, but knows better than to get in the middle of a cat-fight. :-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:58 am 
Local

Sarine seems to be outside the ossified outlook of elves in ES. More intelligent? An outsider, yet still "obeying" the elven authorities. I wonder why that might be?

fr an errant-hunter, she has remarkably close emotional contact with humans. She wears human-made armour; she's already mothered an errant, and had sex with Jon, inviting yet another errant into this world (modulo magic contraception etc). Yet, within the bounds of this story, I've not seen her do much errant-killing (maybe I need to re-read), rather the opposite has been emphasised. Currently, she's in danger of stepping outside her job description. I think she's in danger of "going native" as the Brits used to say in colonial times. I can't remember, why did Sarine become a Ranger?

If there is a fight btwn her and Sara, I do not think that Sarine will be able to deal the coup-de-grace. Kiss, maybe. Sword thrust, ah, so freudian, no. I think her attachment to Jon and Sara's similarity will stop that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:20 am 
Local

She has killed 1 errant and 1 elf by my quick count.

She became a ranger to get away from the elven city.

She's not so much obeying them as having warned them that a half-elf discovered the chamber of their goddess, effectively stole her, and now is extremely powerful.

It's something that logically, the entire world would go cold war over. Ian would instantly be hated and revered, and elves don't need that. They have a problem to solve.

"Quiet panic mode: activate"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:46 am 
Local

I'm not sure what Sarine's intention is right now. She isn't subtle about trying to pick a fight, so one can theorize that it's not a fight that she wants. Sara isn't a hothead like her master, so it wouldn't work to goad her into a fight. She could see that the elf obviously wants a fight, and that should be reason enough not to want to fight.

Furthermore, having pointed out that she prepared a few things to take care of her time magic, Sara should know she has no chance of beating an elf in straight combat. Almost 3000 years of experience beats 15 (if it even was that much) of training. She is not even a full monk yet.

And now the not so subtle references to her relationship with Jon. Pointing out she's spent enough time with him to pick up his mannerisms and see them reflected in her.

I have some ideas, but no clue as to what Sarine is up to, and looking forwards to monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:49 am 
Addict

Initial B wrote:
Elven thinking may be ossified and their outlook is smug in their own superiority, but they're not stupid. Sarine was definately taken by surprise the first time, but now that she has actually seen time warping in action, she may have applied her own knowledge of magical theories and principles to come up with a counter.

And I can't help but think that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree - Sarine seems to indicate that Sara is a lot like her brother in both mannerisms and reactions and may be playing upon that.

As for Jon, I'm betting he is fully aware of what's going on, but knows better than to get in the middle of a cat-fight. :-3

To really carry the analogy properly; Two apples from the same tree don't fall far from each other, or the tree. ;)

Being a wizard and all (Pratchett's definition thereof) :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next