ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: 4/30/07 <klonk>
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:20 pm 
Expatriate

Looks like Sarine's on top of this one[1] What odds did the bookie have again?

[1] phrased especially for the forumers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:28 pm 
Local

Notice in the last panel that Sara retracted her blades when she ducked under Sarine's strike. I know I'm largely clueless about combat, but wouldn't that have been the perfect time to cut her legs off?

In other words, I'm not sure they're actually trying to kill each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:29 pm 
Expatriate

She gave Sara a trim.

Mebbe it's fo' realz?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:33 pm 
Local

Sarine wouldn't miss that kind of a head-chop IMO, must have been intentional.

Also, where did the chrono-frobnication go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:37 pm 
Expatriate

Well, I interpreted it that Sarine had klonked Sara in the head with the flat of the blade, causing her to stumble (and presumably caused her to lose control on the Durus Flamma, which is why it retracted).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:14 pm 
Local

Ah, a cuirass. Well now I know why Sarine still has a spine.

It does look to me that Sara retracted her blades in liu of slicing Sarine, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:20 pm 
Local

Sara's probably out for blood, blinded by it. Sarine's just toying around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:09 pm 
Addict

:-o Well, whoever thought Sara was looking too boyish, Sarine just gave that unruly mop of hair a nice trimming.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:10 pm 
Addict

Quick analysis . . .

Panel 1 -- Sarine defends and Sara is "scything" across her front from right to left. Appropriate, since this sort of two-handed weapon is descended from a threshing tool. The blade high left wards off a high stroke from the sword.

Panel 2 -- Sarine has to parry low or Sara "harvests" both her legs. Note that Sarine is braced against the blow. Apparently, the dyfus Phlem blades have mass and transmit kinetic energy.

Panel 3 -- The natural back and forth of the two-bladed weapon, a strike high to force Sarine to use up her movement in parry's at various angles. Sara has to keep moving and attacking, or, as another forum-dweller noted, Sarine will take all of her fingers off without getting close enough for a counter-threat. Sarine's hands are behind her weapon, Sara's are not. Again, Sarine extends to brace herself against the blow.

Panel 4 -- Sara sees Sarine's extended leg as an opening. She lets Sarine sweep her left blade back, taking the sword far away from Sarine's extended left leg. Sara then lets go with her left hand and is essentially stabbing and slashing at Sarine's leg with the weapon only held in her right hand. She does this, I assume, because she can strike faster with one hand. If she used two, she would have to twist her body to keep her left arm out of her way.

Panel 5 -- Once the stabbing attack goes in, Sara is pivoting on her left foot as a follow through and is re-establishing her two-handed grip. Sarine's over-extension in panel three may have been a deliberate feint or just confidence. Her blinding speed and unnatural strength would be helping her here. From a full stretch, feet wide apart, body-leaning left, on point rather than flat-footed, she has pulled her left leg back faster than Sara can strike with her weapon, leaned or stepped back to avoid the sweep of the blade, and is coming down and forward with a two-handed stroke. Sara is wide open, in part because she is so much shorter than Sarine, in part because Sarine's sudden shift to Sara's left has left Sara over-extended to her right. Sarine's elbow is probably between the haft of Sara's weapon and where it needs to go to keep Sarine's blade from cutting Sara in half.

Panel 6 -- I think Sara could not slash her left blade forward towards Sarine's gut because Sarine is too close. Instead, Sara tries to duck low to the right, dropping her right hand as a brace, taking a step (her left foot is now ahead of her right.) and disentangling her weapon from Sarine's arms and torso so she can bring the left blade into action. Too late, however, as Sarine appears to have waded into Sara to keep her from getting her balance and, in any event, her sword is swinging so far past Sara's guard she is essentially hitting her from behind.

I think a little compression of action has occurred here. Sara's weapon is shown having already passed Sarine's torso in this panel, but the impact of Sarine's blade must have happened before this movement. If the blade had still been active, Sara might have disemboweled Sarine by accident.

Did Sarine just give Sara a tonsure? Has Poe just made a monkish pun? She does not appear to have taken the top of Sara's skull off, so either she slapped her with the blade and took some hair off by accident, or she may have just scalped her.

Someone with more spending money than me should commission a large size poster of this two-second fight and force Poe to fill in the details I may have gotten wrong.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Last edited by Boss Out of Town on Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:47 pm 
Local

Is it just me, or is the comic top-bottom instead of left-right like most pages? The first panel and 3erd panel match up too nicely to be out of order, and it makes the last panel make more sense, if the one above it is showing the wind ups. But then again, it shows that Sara could of cut Sarine in half. Guess they aren't really trying to kill each other then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:46 pm 
n00b

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Quick analysis . . .

I don't know, this looks like a win for Sara to me.

If you just look at the last two panels, Sarine is doing a diagonal swing from her top right to bottom left. Sara has ducked under it, (dropping to her right hand in the process) and brought her blade across Sarine's torso with her left, being considerate enough to deactivate it first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:23 pm 
Local

Budding mutual respect, perchance? Each of them going easy on the other, until they both realize that's neither neccesary nor wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:00 am 
Tourist

Sara looks hella thrown-off now that she can't time-slice. That's my guess as to why, anyway. Her motions and stance are a lot more awkward than I've ever noticed. I don't think she's out for blood, or blinded- I think she's just had a major component of her technique rendered useless. I think it's more than just that she's used to being able to kill her opponent six ways before they even lift a weapon... I think you have to move differently while in a slice. She looks like someone might when being forced to fight with their unfavored hand... only, not. More like she's got weights on her feet that she's not used to.

... I just noticed I'm using the same term Terry Pratchett uses in Thief of Time for what his time-monks do. Which is pretty much the same as what Poe's time-monks do. Heh... The Matrix has changed everythings...

(best reference back to The Matrix in that book- There may, as the philosopher says, be no spoon, although this begs the question of why there is the idea of soup.)
(and my own RPG response- No, I didn't steal that from the Matrix. The Matrix stole it from me. Get your head on straight, boy.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:05 am 
Addict

Rubber Band Man wrote:
Is it just me, or is the comic top-bottom instead of left-right like most pages? The first panel and 3erd panel match up too nicely to be out of order, and it makes the last panel make more sense, if the one above it is showing the wind ups. But then again, it shows that Sara could of cut Sarine in half. Guess they aren't really trying to kill each other then...

It's just you. It follows upper left to upper right, middle left to middle right, lower left to lower right. If you think about the shifts of balance from one thrust to a parry or whatnot, it matches.

Sifu of Corpse Child

Caecus fides est hostilis veritatis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:08 am 
Local

The more I look, the more I think we are missing some frames that might give us a better idea of the flow of combat. I think you could possibly make a case that you could interpret the battle frames as up-down or left-right.

I'm thinking they are taking it easy on each other, since in Panel 6 Sara could easily have gutted Sarine while Sarine could have decapitated Sara. What I want to know now is how the Magical ward that Sarine set up between herself and Sara is supposed to be helping here.

Post subject: Re: 4/30/07 <klonk>
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:06 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Intrope wrote:
Looks like Sarine's on top of this one[1] What odds did the bookie have again?

[1] phrased especially for the forumers!

Pour toi;
The Bookies wrote:
We're taking a break from unpacking to lay a few bets out.
1) Jon notes that the girls are gone somewhere, shrugs and gets camp ready for breakfast. 100:1
2) Sarine hasn't used any magic on Jon. 2:1
3) The battle ends with Sara joining their cozy little group or at least traveling with them. 500:1
4) Sarine reveals her own brand of time magic and that it was all elvin magic in the first place, 1:10000
5) Sarine pwns Sara into submission (nothing like dominance :wink: ) 100:1

The Bookies wrote:
1) No resolution yet. That may be exactly what Jon is doing, rather than watching the fight. This implies confidence on his part that neither of the women are actually going to hurt each other or real confidence that Sarine is in perfect control of the situation.
2) Probably true.
3) Too soon to tell.
4) Insufficient data.
5) This one looks like it's gonna happen but it hasn't happened yet.

They briefly escaped to get this post done while I was on a mission, seeking "Lilies of the valley" for Mayday. Those of you who are mated might consider a similar mission. :wink:

Last edited by Slamlander on Tue May 01, 2007 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:06 am 
Local

So on to the real question: whose side is Jon going to intervene on, and why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:10 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Graybeard wrote:

I don't think that he's going to intervene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:32 am 
Addict

Slamlander wrote:
Graybeard wrote:

I don't think that he's going to intervene.

Correct. He figured out immediately what was going on and would likely take action only if he thought Sara was going to be killed. The fight appears to be over and Sara is not dead. Sarine may let Sara up again, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:35 pm 
n00b

Boss Out of Town wrote:
The fight appears to be over and Sara is not dead. Sarine may let Sara up again, of course.

Why is everyone assuming Sarine won? I look at the last panel, and I see Sara ducking under Sarine's blade, moving her double-ended spear thingy across Sarine's chest and deactivating it to avoid bisecting her.

If that's Sarine knocking her down with the flat of the blade, she wouldn't have her arms straight like that.

Also, why else would Sara have deactivated her spear?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next