ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: 5/2/07: "So you mean someone played a joke on her too?"
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:15 am 
n00b

This certainly changes my perception of the Ensigerum a bit. Could this indicate that they were just ceremonial guards/cool-looking Rent-a-Cops?

Edit: Also, what happened to supersonic death :confused:

Post subject: Re: 5/2/07: "So you mean someone played a joke on her too?"
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:33 am 
n00b

I don't think Sarine is saying the Durus Flamma aren't effective weapons, but that Sara's double headed spear type isn't, something that's borne out in real life weaponry.

Poe wrote:
The Dolan came about later as a purely ceremonial and demonstrative piece as it looked really cool as all hell when being swung around but was considered far too impractical to be used as an actual weapon (this generally remains the common opinion of it even in the present setting of the story as well and was the basis of many snide remarks directed towards Anita before she gained her current position).

From the wiki entry on Durus Flamma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:45 am 
Local

In other words, Anita is so damn hawt she managed to turn a non-combat weapon into a lethal killing tool.

That's almost like finding a way for a knitting needle to be used as the projectile of a firearm, or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:44 am 
Tourist

Quote:
Anita is so damn hawt she managed to turn a non-combat weapon into a lethal killing tool

Or the rest of the order really are just as incompetent as she says they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:25 am 
Addict

:-) Yay! Immortal trash talking! Keep messin' with her mind, Sarine.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:54 am 
Green Text

wrog wrote:
Quote:
Anita is so damn hawt she managed to turn a non-combat weapon into a lethal killing tool

Or the rest of the order really are just as incompetent as she says they are.

This is what I was thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:45 am 
Local

Remember that Warrel used a sword in his fight with Sarine and almost defeated her. There might be something to Sarine's comment here. Still, the fact that Sara is holding her own with a less-than-practical weapon makes me think she is one of the better fighters of the Ensigerum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:12 am 
Local

I think perhaps Sarine may just be mining for information about what they're up against, and what may stand in their way later.

At least she knows there's at least one other person using that weapon, and hearing it's the leader of the order, you could almost place a careful bet some of her idolator followers are touting them as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:15 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Initial B wrote:
Remember that Warrel used a sword in his fight with Sarine and almost defeated her. There might be something to Sarine's comment here. Still, the fact that Sara is holding her own with a less-than-practical weapon makes me think she is one of the better fighters of the Ensigerum.

Erm, No. Most of the Ensigerum uses Lanceas. Sara is unusual in using a Dolon. But I also detect a bit of hero worship regarding Anita here. This could be a problem.

Note: Also, it is not unusual for an Asian Martial Artist to train with an inferior weapon in order to improve their own skills. Ensigerum were cut from Ninja cloth.

Whether or not Sara is holding her own, remains to be seen. Sarine could be playing. Also note, for those that maintained that Sara voluntarily switched off her Dolon to avoid cutting Sarine, the first panel. Sara was trying for a Sarine sishkabob, for real. She's not holding back, although Sarine might be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:15 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
Also note, for those that maintained that Sara voluntarily switched off her Dolon to avoid cutting Sarine, the first panel. Sara was trying for a Sarine sishkabob, for real. She's not holding back, although Sarine might be.

Those people maintained it because on the last panel of monday's comic, the dolon was switched off (As evidenced by little pebble-things being on the end of the dolon, as opposed to little blade-things being on the end of the dolon), specifically when it would have otherwise have swept across Sarine's chest cavity. And now on the first panel of today's comic, it's clear of Sarine and switched on again.

Direct evidence for whether or not Sarine is 'playing for all the marbles' hasn't been provided, but that Sara isn't has been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:22 am 
Local

Somewhere around here, if Sara has any brains left after having them beaten out of her by Warrel, she should be starting to think: "Hmmmm ... I could learn from this elf." And an entirely new interpersonal dynamic begins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:05 am 
Local

normalphil wrote:
Those people maintained it because on the last panel of monday's comic, the dolon was switched off (As evidenced by little pebble-things being on the end of the dolon, as opposed to little blade-things being on the end of the dolon), specifically when it would have otherwise have swept across Sarine's chest cavity. And now on the first panel of today's comic, it's clear of Sarine and switched on again.

I have to agree with slamlander here. (OMG)

If you look at the second to last frame, Sarine easily dodges the blade and comes in for a flat-side hit on the head. Though it could be claimed Sara was dodging, the position of her feet and hands don't put much credence to that. Sarine would be too experienced an fighter to step into the kill-zone like that, more likely to know the blade would be switched off before Sara could get her hand on the ground and thus have any possibility of aiming for the belly.

And the first panel in todays comic shows how easily she dodges thrusts from Sara.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:37 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
normalphil wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
Also note, for those that maintained that Sara voluntarily switched off her Dolon to avoid cutting Sarine, the first panel. Sara was trying for a Sarine sishkabob, for real. She's not holding back, although Sarine might be.

Direct evidence for whether or not Sarine is 'playing for all the marbles' hasn't been provided, but that Sara isn't has been.

That was only because Sara got bapped in the back of the head. No concentration = Durus Flame-out.

*Notes Rakshasa's agreement ... faints*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:42 am 
Local

Well considering Warrel could magic-o gravity lift his weapon into his hands, I fail to see how any position of the wielders hands would affect the activation of the blade(s).

IMO Sara didn't gut Sarine, because she didn't WANT to, not that she *couldn't*.

As for killing each other in this fight? Why bother? Sarine would lose her monkey, and Jon would most likely angst anyway. There's nothing to gain, and a whole pile to lose from a death occuring.

Plus, Sara hasn't tried to time-fugue yet, for whatever reason, so I guess it stands that this battle is more of a sparring match, than an actual duel.

Why do I say that? Notice how Warrel time-fugued without second consideration each and every time Sarine swung at him. He wasn't fighting an honourable duel, he was in for the kill, only he was just taking his sweet, multi-accelerated time about it. The great and extremely rare honour he mentioned didn't register in his head that he might actually have to do it legitimately, in normal time.

And finally: if you think Sarine is faster/stronger/etc well just consider this; Sarine has a sword, Sara has a staff with pointy bits on both ends. One is easy to swing, one isn't.

IMHO if both combatants were fighting to the death, and if both were armed with swords, I'd say Sara would win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:44 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
That was only because Sara got bapped in the back of the head. No concentration = Durus Flame-out.

*Notes Rakshasa's agreement ... faints*

I disagree. Warrel got blasted in the stomach with a shotgun, and he didn't seem overly worried about it when it came to using his weapon again.

My observations put this entire fight as a farce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:48 am 
Expatriate

Yaaaaaay wiki. Also yay for Elven trash-talk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:53 am 
n00b

Are they even fighting seriously? looks half assed to me, since in a real fight if you tried to talk, you'd be very dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:59 am 
Expatriate

Zherical wrote:
I disagree. Warrel got blasted in the stomach with a shotgun, and he didn't seem overly worried about it when it came to using his weapon again.

'cause he got his concentration back after the shot to the gut?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:20 am 
Local

Zherical wrote:
Well considering Warrel could magic-o gravity lift his weapon into his hands, I fail to see how any position of the wielders hands would affect the activation of the blade(s).

The blade is _not_ activated during flight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:24 am 
Expatriate

people forgetting that sarine is seeing pretty colors rather than an easily discerned opponent? shes being pushed just as hard as sara is ( who didn't get hit by the flat of her blade, it was a horizonatal swing that missed when sara lowered her body ). sarine has an edge of experience and a handicap when itcomes to this particular kind of duel.

sara is still trying to work out her odds of living past the end of the month and being young that kinda matters to her

sarine has reticence about wacking jon's brother and could also use all the help she can get. jon might not be so helpful if she takes the kids head off.

oh and the situation with warrel was more of an open brawl, with opponents changing up, and no such thing as a cheap shot.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next