ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:23 pm 
n00b

Boss Out of Town wrote:
The Woodville family scored big time in the 15th Century because Elizabeth Woodville refused to be one of Edward IV's hundreds of sexual conquests held on to her "virtue" until he married her. By doing this, among other things, she managed to re-start the Wars of the Roses after everyone hoped they were over.

Proof that the world would be a better place if women put out more...

Getting back on topic, what does Sarine hope to achieve by beating the crap out of her? Is she just trying to get rid of her? Assert her dominance? Force her to use time magic?

Last edited by Eccles on Sun May 06, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:19 pm 
Addict

Eccles wrote:
Getting back on topic, what does Sarine hope to achieve by beating the crap out of her? Is she just trying to get rid of her? Assert her dominance? Force her to use time magic?

Advancing the plot. A possibility. Definitely. Optionally.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:03 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Eccles wrote:

ATM, it looks like Sarine is setting herself up to be Sara's new teacher, in the ultimate dominance game. However, she'll settle for simply being the alpha bitch, a neccessary status change since Sarine can't afford to be schlepping around a dangerous prisoner (prisoner = liability) while looking for the half-elves and ducking elven patrols.

By now, Sara is gotten the point that her brother Jon is not the one she has to negotiate with in order to improve her status, it's Sarine and Sarine has just presented her the "Lead, Follow, or get out of the way" option, with the first one not a real option. However, Sara has to earn her way into the"Follow" option. She's doing that now :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:51 am 
n00b

Assuming Sarine can't do the time-monk thing, which given she's very old she'd probably have done in the church-ambush if she could, she needs to prove there's some value to Sara in leaving her alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:22 am 
Green Text

completely off topic, where's your earthsea avatar?

:confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:18 am 
Expatriate

Rakshasa wrote:
Mestro wrote:
Opps sorry I broke your nose, here, let me heal it."

Sara is a little kitten unable to do grown-up things, like heal herself?

More like:
"Let me heal it for you" So I can break it again, mwahahaha!

You should always take responsibility for things you did and try to fix 'em y'know.. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:20 pm 
Tourist

Zherical wrote:

Why do we never see any manga, cartoons, ANYTHING where people use the axe? It was a bloody good weapon! And to top it off, most, if not all, civilsations had their own version of a combat ax.

River Tam, mele scene in Serenity against the Reavers. At least one of the weapons in her hands was an ax. I can't remember what the other one was. Absolutely effin gorgeous scene, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:13 pm 
Local

Eccles wrote:
Most medieval texts on martial arts mention it as a common move in close quarters where there isn't enough room for a thrust or swing. Even the Bayeux tapestry has pictures of knights crushing in helmets with their sword pommels. I don't know how common it was with eastern methods of swordfighting though.

As I understand, Eastern warrior typically wore nonmetallic armor, since their ore was rarer and of lower quality, so they wouldn't have handguards and I'm not sure how the pommel would be put together. However, in a life-and-death fight, it's always better to have a wider variety of ways to hurt your opponent, so it would be downright foolish of them not to learn at the very least how to punch and kick the guy if he gets too close for a sword stroke to be of any use.

Kaz*CheesyDoritoBomb* wrote:
Weapons I want to see someone fight with in here are dual light maces. Bludgeoning damage to the head FTW!

As far as I can tell, you either want a weapon heavy enough that it takes two hands to use, or you want to use one hand for a weapon and one hand for a defensive implement (either a shield or a main gauche), or you just want to keep your off-hand out of the way. I don't think that holding two separate weapons generally increases the lethality of an armed combat form. (Escrima is the biggest exception that I can think of.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:27 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
BloodHenge wrote:
Kaz*CheesyDoritoBomb* wrote:
Weapons I want to see someone fight with in here are dual light maces. Bludgeoning damage to the head FTW!

As far as I can tell, you either want a weapon heavy enough that it takes two hands to use, or you want to use one hand for a weapon and one hand for a defensive implement (either a shield or a main gauche), or you just want to keep your off-hand out of the way. I don't think that holding two separate weapons generally increases the lethality of an armed combat form. (Escrima is the biggest exception that I can think of.)

1) The Spanish technique of Rapier and Main Gauche is very deadly and the Main Gauche is not purely defensive in that school.
2) Various schools of Kung Fu have double weapon techniques, like Butterfly Knives, various two-stick forms, and Sai.
3) Yes, Philipino Eskrima.

Yes, a second weapon is deadlier, with the proper training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:34 pm 
Tourist

hi hi

However, whether dual wielding or not you only really need one solid blow to end the fight. When off-hand weapons are used for an offensive move the main hand weapon is generally being a distraction or defensive. One hit from either weapon is enough to be lethal, so its not like you're gaining twice the lethality from having two weapons, rather you're increasing your chances to score a blow (if one is experienced enough to use two weapons at once) Unlike emergent role-playing game mechanics involving hitpoints.

It has also been my understanding that many were only 2 to 3 pounds in weight, or the wielder would tire quickly. Axes and hammers did not need to be huge monsterous weapons if you can hit someone on the head with it. Of course there were larger weapons for dealing with heavy armor, but even with armor a good hit with a bludgeoning weapon would transfer the impact through the armor to the soft tissue inside.

Perhaps Sarine is trying to force Sara to make a choice, preferably to leave. If Sarine can prove that she's Sara's better in combat then it would force Sara to abandon any thoughts of finishing her mission, as defeating the two would seem impossible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:31 pm 
Local

icekatze wrote:
hi hi

However, whether dual wielding or not you only really need one solid blow to end the fight. When off-hand weapons are used for an offensive move the main hand weapon is generally being a distraction or defensive. One hit from either weapon is enough to be lethal, so its not like you're gaining twice the lethality from having two weapons, rather you're increasing your chances to score a blow (if one is experienced enough to use two weapons at once) Unlike emergent role-playing game mechanics involving hitpoints.

What seems the most impressive to me is a fighter who is using both weapons offensively and defensively at once, seemlessly.

Quote:
It has also been my understanding that many were only 2 to 3 pounds in weight, or the wielder would tire quickly. Axes and hammers did not need to be huge monsterous weapons if you can hit someone on the head with it. Of course there were larger weapons for dealing with heavy armor, but even with armor a good hit with a bludgeoning weapon would transfer the impact through the armor to the soft tissue inside.

Which is why armor almost always included a layer of padding underneath, such as the gambeson. Just banging away on a heavily armored knight with a blunt weapon is going to wear him down over time, but to get in early, lethal hits takes some kind of penetration. Thus, the flanged mace, the pick-like head on many weapons, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:10 pm 
Addict

icekatze wrote:
hi hi

That's actually too simplistic a view and we are not discussing role-playing here. For example, there are many Sai techniques where you need both weapons to disable or kill an opponent and the coup de grace is not delivered by either individual weapon, rather by the two used in conjunction (ie one weapon being used as a fulcrum for the other).

But then, Sai are not blugeoning weapons (not heavy enough) nor are they sharp weapons. They are my favorite because they give the wielder many non-lethal options. Unlike a sword, they are not automatically lethal.

icekatze wrote:
Perhaps Sarine is trying to force Sara to make a choice, preferably to leave. If Sarine can prove that she's Sara's better in combat then it would force Sara to abandon any thoughts of finishing her mission, as defeating the two would seem impossible.

No, the choice has already been presented. That's how we got here. What you are seeing here is Sara's forced status change from prisoner to member.

Why is this possible? Because the Ensigerum has already betrayed her on a few levels by trying to make her kill her brother. That's why Sara's been sulking. She's been working that through. Jon's right, she could have gotten out of those manacles at any time. She didn't because she is still meditating on being betrayed by the Ensigerum. By now, she's figured out that it was indeed a betrayal. Such Loyalty Tests are all about remaining loyal even if betrayed by the organization.

Their demand that she kill Jon or be killed herself is a fundamental betrayal of her feelings for her family. The implied threat against her life, by her own organization if she fails to execute Jon, is also a betrayal. Like I said, many levels. I think that she's figuring out that the Ensigerum do not deserve her loyalty and Sarine is helping to drive that point home.

Parts of this remind me of historical tales of the time just before the destruction of the Shaolin temple. In fact, the Ensigerum remind me very strongly of the Shaolin monks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:56 am 
n00b

A sword isn't automatically lethal, there are many different strikes and cuts you can make with one that wont kill.

Kest wrote:
completely off topic, where's your earthsea avatar?

:confused:

I first used this username back in 2003 when it went with an Earthsea avatar, its changed a few times since then and I no-longer have one. So until I get around to making one it exists purely in the realm of history and magnetic traces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:42 am 
n00b

Quote:
She's right about the impracticalities of the dolon. I remember my Martial Arts instructor nearly foaming at the mouth when Phantom Menace came out. Ranted for half an hour about how stupid a double bladed weapon would be, and how you'd be more likely to disembowel yourself than hurt your opponent.

Those impracticalities apply only to Darth Maul's doublesaber: too short of a gripping distance, too many chances to grab the saber part, too many chances to loose a body part with a botched spin.

Sara's weapon has comparatively more grip room: it's like taking a bo staff up against a sword, only the bo has pointy bits on the end, it can be done, but only by expert wielders. In my experience, a shorter bladed staff weapon, like a nagamaki, can be used to great effect against a sword.

Also, she had less chance to grab the "on" end than she would with a darth maul weapon.

But all this is based on Jo techniques that I've learned when comparing them with katana techniques.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:44 pm 
Expatriate

But when you shorten the blades and widen the handle, then that just gives your opponent more grabbing room on your weapon.

Like Sarine just did.

Also there's more room to cut the weapon in half (and oddly, create a more practical weapon for your opponent)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:39 pm 
Local

Shengokai wrote:
Quote:
She's right about the impracticalities of the dolon. I remember my Martial Arts instructor nearly foaming at the mouth when Phantom Menace came out. Ranted for half an hour about how stupid a double bladed weapon would be, and how you'd be more likely to disembowel yourself than hurt your opponent.

Those impracticalities apply only to Darth Maul's doublesaber: too short of a gripping distance, too many chances to grab the saber part, too many chances to loose a body part with a botched spin.

Sara's weapon has comparatively more grip room: it's like taking a bo staff up against a sword, only the bo has pointy bits on the end, it can be done, but only by expert wielders. In my experience, a shorter bladed staff weapon, like a nagamaki, can be used to great effect against a sword.

Also, she had less chance to grab the "on" end than she would with a darth maul weapon.

But all this is based on Jo techniques that I've learned when comparing them with katana techniques.

People are forgetting that in effect, Darth Maul was a master of masters with his weapon, plus he was for all purposes magically enhanced with speed and dexterity.

As for the lightsaber, it's a little hard to grab a spinning omni-directional blade, where the only handle portion is 1/2 covered by some VERY aggressive hands.

I would bet Darth Maul > Sarine x1000 if it came to a fight between them.

As for Sara's staff.. meh.. Warrels weapon made sense, hers doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:12 am 
Local

Zherical wrote:
Shengokai wrote:
Quote:

People are forgetting that in effect, Darth Maul was a master of masters with his weapon, plus he was for all purposes magically enhanced with speed and dexterity.

As for the lightsaber, it's a little hard to grab a spinning omni-directional blade, where the only handle portion is 1/2 covered by some VERY aggressive hands.

I would bet Darth Maul > Sarine x1000 if it came to a fight between them.

As for Sara's staff.. meh.. Warrels weapon made sense, hers doesn't.

Meh...Maul can't throw fireballs, sleep spells, etc, on the other hand. Plus, he was a henchman, and Sarine is a protagonist. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:53 am 
Local

'Yay!' for comparisons of fictional characters from completly unrelated fictional universes. How many catgirls will perish for this one then?

DEATH: HE IS AN OLD FRIEND. YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.

Last edited by pillaroforder on Wed May 09, 2007 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:04 am 
Green Text

pillaroforder wrote:
'Yay!' for comparisons of fictional characters from completly unrelated fictional universes. How many catgirls will perish for this one then.

Many Botans died for this thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:11 am 
Local

Hm, I counted 21 strips in this chapter. Is it possible we would get a chapter cover anyway, since the last strip is a good ending bit. That would be just as bad as a filler for my addiction.

DEATH: HE IS AN OLD FRIEND. YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next