ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:45 pm 
Addict

Kian wrote:
I've never gone hunting, but with the number of gun-knowoldgable people in this forum, I'd be surprised if noone can answer this question. How far can a shot be heard in a forest? I'd imagine all the leafy terrain would make for good sound insulation. During hunting season, do you hear all the people firing from miles away, or are shots easily lost in the background noise?

Rifle shots and the sound thereoff travel for miles on a quiet day. Jon's pistol is only marginally quieter. In addition to the weapon discharge, bullets whipping and cracking through branches and tree-tops will make your hair stand on end no matter how groggy you are.

By way of alternate explanation, note that the pistol going off didn't wake Jon, but the leaf falling on his nose woke him? Sight gag, or evidence of a sound-dampening (or sound-perieving) magik in use? And if a sound-dampening aura is in effect, why not one that blocks sound between the camp and the site of the duel?

Really, it would be such a fundamental precaution for Sarine to take . . .

Also, why would Ellis kill Jon with his pistol when he could slash his throat in his sleep with less fuss and risk? And why would Ellis suddenly want to kill Jon anyway? He's been hanging around him for weeks just because he has nothing better to do and Jon might be the only human he knows who gives enough of a damn about Meji to eventually go find her. If Meji doesn't come back to find Jon and ask him what happened to her familiar. Ellis was just having a temper tantrum after fumbling his attempt to wake Jon up. The evidence of the leaf suggests that touching him would have worked, but poking a sleeping assassin isn't a safe way to wake him up, by any reckoning.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:50 pm 
Addict

Slamlander wrote:
Kest wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
One minor-ish detail. In the last panel, Sarine is face-down with Sara about to rabbit-punch her when Jon gets her attention.

I'd say Sarine is face-up in the last panel and Sara is about to knock her a good one.

If it was the other way around, we wouldn't be seeing the back of Sarine's head.

Definitely face-down. Look at her ears, in detail.

You are incorrect, sir. Sarine is back down, right fist up, her head tucked forward and up so we are almost looking at it from behind. This fits in with the previous panel. Sara hits hard for her size, but Sarine is muscled like like a race-horse.

Love those shoulders in the sleeveless tunic . . . :-o

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:34 pm 
Local

Maybe Jon's "Oh..." is him waking up to see the elven/ensigerium/wraith hit squad that has come to kill him?

Sorry to say it but Sarine just broke one of the cardinal rules of fighting. If you're opponent is down, don't stand around talking, either finish them off or at least be prepared for a desperate counterattack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:34 pm 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
By way of alternate explanation, note that the pistol going off didn't wake Jon, but the leaf falling on his nose woke him? Sight gag, or evidence of a sound-dampening (or sound-perieving) magik in use? And if a sound-dampening aura is in effect, why not one that blocks sound between the camp and the site of the duel?

Dunno if I mentioned it back then, but I suspect he was under a light sleep spell, which was only broken once he was touched by something.

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Also, why would Ellis kill Jon with his pistol when he could slash his throat in his sleep with less fuss and risk?

Because Ellis knows what he is at at instinctual level; comic relief. Killing efficiently would be going against his own nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:22 pm 
Local

1) Based on how her hair is laying, it looks more likely that Sarine is face up, with her head raised up.

2) I don't think that we're re-playing Ellis's gunshot here. While there's some merit to question of why they didn't hear the first shot, or at least why we weren't shown Sarine and Sara's reaction to it, it would make even less sense if there were serious jumping back and forth in time going on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:07 pm 
Green Text

Slamlander wrote:

You are outnumbered! Marshal your defenses, for we go to war!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:07 pm 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
Kest wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
One minor-ish detail. In the last panel, Sarine is face-down with Sara about to rabbit-punch her when Jon gets her attention.

I'd say Sarine is face-up in the last panel and Sara is about to knock her a good one.

If it was the other way around, we wouldn't be seeing the back of Sarine's head.

Nah.. look at Sarines fist (right hand).

She's face up, alright. Probably enjoying the view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:22 pm 
Addict

Zherical wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
Kest wrote:
Slamlander wrote:

[color=green]I'd say Sarine is face-up in the last panel and Sara is about to knock her a good one.

. . . and Sarine is about to do the same to Sara. Sara took Sarine down with a left-forearm to the jaw propelled by monkish superspeed. Now she is trying to hold Sarine down and herself up with her left hand on Sarine's shoulder, while delivering a jab with her right fist. In a schoolyard brawl, this might leave her with a big advantage, but Sarine has twice her weight and probably triple her strength. That means the poor positioning of Sara' left hand is a killer. She cannot be putting much weight on Sarine's shoulder and Sarine still has plenty of reach advantage. If she isn't stunned, Sarine could throttle Sara before she throws a punch or clock her with a right cross and put her to sleep right through the next chapter.

Alas, since they are both bright enough to freeze at the sound of a gunshot, we will never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:23 pm 
Addict

Zherical wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
Kest wrote:
Slamlander wrote:

[color=green]I'd say Sarine is face-up in the last panel and Sara is about to knock her a good one.

. . . and Sarine is about to do the same to Sara. Sara took Sarine down with a left-forearm to the jaw propelled by monkish superspeed. Now she is trying to hold Sarine down and herself up with her left hand on Sarine's shoulder, while delivering a jab with her right fist. In a schoolyard brawl, this might leave her with a big advantage, but Sarine has twice her weight and probably triple her strength. That means the poor positioning of Sara' left hand is a killer. She cannot be putting much weight on Sarine's shoulder and Sarine still has plenty of reach advantage. If she isn't stunned, Sarine could throttle Sara before she throws a punch or clock her with a right cross and put her to sleep right through the next chapter.

Alas, since they are both bright enough to freeze at the sound of a gunshot, we will never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:38 am 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Also, why would Ellis kill Jon with his pistol when he could slash his throat in his sleep with less fuss and risk? And why would Ellis suddenly want to kill Jon anyway? He's been hanging around him for weeks just because he has nothing better to do and Jon might be the only human he knows who gives enough of a damn about Meji to eventually go find her. If Meji doesn't come back to find Jon and ask him what happened to her familiar. Ellis was just having a temper tantrum after fumbling his attempt to wake Jon up. The evidence of the leaf suggests that touching him would have worked, but poking a sleeping assassin isn't a safe way to wake him up, by any reckoning.

You raise a good point. Judging by the fact that Ellis apparently shot a tree branch directly above Jon's face, my guess would be that he was trying to shoot a bird or squirrel, since he's hungry and he thought it might be easier than actually going up there after it. Of course, as he noted, opposable thumbs tend to vastly improve marksmanship, particularly when using a tool designed for someone roughly fifteen times your size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:31 am 
Local

Did anyone else than me is under the impression that everytime that Sarine start patronise human about the fact that " she was doing stuff long before human bla bla bla..." she get her ass quicked, physicaly as well as vocally (like with jonn during the first journey)

May be she should just stop acting like a hundred years old teacher and more like just a normal traveling companion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:34 am 
Local

BloodHenge wrote:
You raise a good point. Judging by the fact that Ellis apparently shot a tree branch directly above Jon's face, my guess would be that he was trying to shoot a bird or squirrel, since he's hungry and he thought it might be easier than actually going up there after it.

So, if Ellis evolves opposable thumbs, the days of squirrels and birds are numbered? And I fail to see how cute squirrels would fit the nickname "hairless bastard monkey fucker".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:37 am 
Local

Rakshasa wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:
You raise a good point. Judging by the fact that Ellis apparently shot a tree branch directly above Jon's face, my guess would be that he was trying to shoot a bird or squirrel, since he's hungry and he thought it might be easier than actually going up there after it.

So, if Ellis evolves opposable thumbs, the days of squirrels and birds are numbered? And I fail to see how cute squirrels would fit the nickname "hairless bastard monkey fucker".

Could be he's cursing Jon for using a weapon that's not compatible with Ellis's anatomy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:40 am 
Local

Neko7 wrote:
Did anyone else than me is under the impression that everytime that Sarine start patronise human about the fact that " she was doing stuff long before human bla bla bla..." she get her ass quicked, physicaly as well as vocally (like with jonn during the first journey)

May be she should just stop acting like a hundred years old teacher and more like just a normal traveling companion

Bah, let Sarine have her fun, these pesky humans will be dead in a hundred years so it's not like someone's going to remember her getting her asskicked.. repeatedly.

It's like a dragonballZ episode, but instead of letting Cell go on about some obscure history bullshit, Gohan just outright blasts that fat bastard in the face and saves everyone some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:42 am 
Expatriate

BloodHenge wrote:
Rakshasa wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:

Could be he's cursing Jon for using a weapon that's not compatible with Ellis's anatomy.

This seems like a much more likely explanation, since if he really wanted to shoot Jon, he could just have put the barrel in his ear and pushed the trigger. .. seeing how the shot goes REEEAALLYYYY WIIIDEEEE that seems unlikely.

On a side note, does anyone know if Jon's revolver is a single or double action? Just wondering because it would gauge Ellis's technical practicallity.. and I like guns ;)

- IETF will send the Internet Police on you if you send chain letters!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:57 pm 
n00b

Atzel wrote:
On a side note, does anyone know if Jon's revolver is a single or double action? Just wondering because it would gauge Ellis's technical practicallity.. and I like guns ;)

We've seen several occasions where Jon fires two or three rounds in rapid sucession, such as <a href="http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2003-04-23">this one</a>. (There's also the flashback where he puts three into the one Time-ninja guy, but I'm not sure where that is within the archive.) In almost every example, Jon's left hand is nowhere near his gun. So he's either -insanely- fast in cocking the hammer with just his thumb, or else his pistol is a double action.

My money is on double action, since cocking a revoler one-handed is harder than it looks if you've never tried it.

Edit: cleaned up link to the comic page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:58 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
sturmjager wrote:
Atzel wrote:

We've seen several occasions where Jon fires two or three rounds in rapid sucession, such as <a href="http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2003-04-23">this one</a>. (There's also the flashback where he puts three into the one Time-ninja guy, but I'm not sure where that is within the archive.) In almost every example, Jon's left hand is nowhere near his gun. So he's either -insanely- fast in cocking the hammer with just his thumb, or else his pistol is a double action.

My money is on double action, since cocking a revoler one-handed is harder than it looks if you've never tried it.

Edit: cleaned up link to the comic page

I've done it before on a Ruger Super Blackhawk. It's not that hard, if you know the proper technique. :wink: Fanning the hammer only works in Hollywood. :-D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3