ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:08 pm 
Local

Well, it depends on what exactly do you do, if you just fix the statement the way you see it and make sure the correction is distinguishable, that's your own new statement, basicaly saying 'I believe, sir, this is the way it should be...' It can be very confusing if you don't show what you changed and when that happens on purpose it's a joke at best and plain nasty at worst.

DEATH: HE IS AN OLD FRIEND. YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:57 pm 
Local

How many letters in High Strung?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:11 am 
Addict

Zherical wrote:
How many letters in High Strung?

I'm with Killjoy on this one. Altering a message to make a joke is funny. Altering it just to contradict the writer is rude. An alteration where the point isn't obvious to the casual reader is clumsy writing.

"Death is easy; comedy is hard."

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:35 am 
Expatriate

Killjoy wrote:
pillaroforder wrote:
Not misquoting, 'correcting' people, but it should be done in bold so you know what's what.

It's still misquoting. Putting another name on it doesn't make it OK. I guess I just come from a subculture where people's words matter and it's the height of fucktardary to mess with the words in that manner.

I'm with Killjoy on this. Misquoting is bad. If you need to correct someone else's post, make sure it is an obvious correction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:09 am 
Native

It was obvious. We were flat-out reversing his rejection of the idea that men solve their problems by comparing genital sizes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:25 am 
Local

Which was, from a certain perspective, mildly humorous the first time. But not when it became obvious that he found it upsetting that his opinion was being so frivolously discounted. Or, at least, the only way it was still funny would be if you have no empathy for fellow human beings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:33 pm 
Local

BloodHenge wrote:
Which was, from a certain perspective, mildly humorous the first time. But not when it became obvious that he found it upsetting that his opinion was being so frivolously discounted. Or, at least, the only way it was still funny would be if you have no empathy for fellow human beings.

I think, given the ridiculous nature of the question at hand, flatly contradicting a calm and sensible answer like Killjoy's is pretty obviously humor, and not actually intended to discount his opinion.

Imagine if someone asked "do girls really go to the bathroom together just so that they can have hot lesbian orgies to help ease their sexual frustrations, and thus better resist giving in to the temptation of ravishing the dashing but perverted men they're out with, thus maintaining their upper hand at the sexual bargaining table?" And some girl responds "of course not, that's ridiculous, we go to the bathroom together for [some good, perfectly mundane reason]". And someone else misquotes that to says "yes" (in a fixed textual medium like this, where the person's actual words are available for anyone else to read nearby). Funny, right? "Ha ha, some girl admits that all those crazy improbably fantastic rumors about them are true! How unexpected is that?" Same thing here.

I think Killjoy just lives up to his name. And I'm beginning to wonder if it's not some sort of dry humor in and of itself. In real life I'm fond of replying to obviously joking comments with dry academic exposition on the merits of the comment (wow, the irony here is delicious), prompting my friends to say "dude, I was just joking", with which I reply dryly "so am I". Usually gets a couple of laughs. I wonder if Killjoy's not doing the same thing here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:45 pm 
Local

Yeah, I do the same thing. But if it keeps going too long, it stops being funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:24 pm 
Local

A) I appologize for flipping out a bit in that post.

B) The quote-editing practice actually does bother me quite a bit.

C) No matter how obvious you try to make it, if it's part of a chain-quoted post on the next page, there's nothing obvious about it when someone then reads that page without the context of the original post. The original poster can bold his own text for emphasis. Some forums have a convention of bolding text in a quoted passage to emphasize it when replying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:52 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Killjoy wrote:
A) I appologize for flipping out a bit in that post.

B) The quote-editing practice actually does bother me quite a bit.

C) No matter how obvious you try to make it, if it's part of a chain-quoted post on the next page, there's nothing obvious about it when someone then reads that page without the context of the original post. The original poster can bold his own text for emphasis. Some forums have a convention of bolding text in a quoted passage to emphasize it when replying.

Strangely, I'm with you on this. Out of context or intentionl misquotes, even in humor, need to be clear that they are not the actual intent of the original author. There's entirely too much trouble any other way. There are some levels of subtlety that just plain do not work in a print medium and this is one of them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5