ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:32 am 
Local

BloodHenge wrote:
ri[[3r wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:
ri[[3r wrote:
When I was married, we had about 10-20 cats at any one time, including a breeding queen. And with that came the fucking mountain of cat books and stuff. Shitloads of it. Most cat-owners have the aesthetics of the damned. You go to a major cat show and you'll find out. I hate cat books. Cat cartoons comes a close second. They're the lowest of the lowest. Want a make a few bucks at xmas? chuck out a cat book.

I'm not sure what you mean here, since I don't know the nature of the problem you're referencing, or what you believe the correct state of affairs would be...

sorry, I was in rant mode. Talking about cats can do that to me sometimes.

Mostly, I was wondering what you meant by "aesthetics of the damned", and what's wrong with "cat books" (or even what you consider a "cat book").

The phrase "aesthetics of the damned" has two sources for me.

One if the way cat-breeders model their animals according to a fixed aesthetic, a particular look. Nearly all pedigrees have medical problems, some due to small gene-pools, some due to physical deformities caused by the breeding programs. I regard cat shows as theatres of torture.

The other is the huge sentimentality invested in cats by a particular kind of cat-owner, one who substitutes cats for children, who seems to go into a kind of frenzy with the cat-stuff, the books, the toys, statuettes, foot-scrapers, pictures, sweat-shirts, socks, waist-coat, ties, etc etc. No matter the quality, aesthetic judgment seems to go out the window. Sentimentality wins throughout. Sentimentality also infects the book-market. It's known in the trade that cat books are a simple money spinner, particularly at christmas. Cat-owners seem to have little judgement when faced with a cute cat picture, or a book stuffed with cat pictures. But I suppose this happens when the hole in your life is filled by an object of affection, and if it's a cat, well. Of course, this doesn't mean that there aren't good books about cats. Or good tee-shirts with cats on them. With hindsight, I am being a little harsh. In my defense, I was knee-deep in cat -stuff at one stage and I did get a little ... freaky.

One of my least favourite memories of those years, is watching our queen eat one of her day-old kittens. Beside her, were the remnants of the others. Another of occassional "seeing" one of our cats I'd just buried. Another, I was digging a shallow grave and I sliced through the corpse of a previously buried cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:38 am 
Local

Wow, you really need to hook up with a dog-lover and get the cats out of your system for a while (not the show-going dog owner ofcourse).

DEATH: HE IS AN OLD FRIEND. YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:53 am 
Local

ri[[3r wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:
ri[[3r wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:
ri[[3r wrote:
When I was married, we had about 10-20 cats at any one time, including a breeding queen. And with that came the fucking mountain of cat books and stuff. Shitloads of it. Most cat-owners have the aesthetics of the damned. You go to a major cat show and you'll find out. I hate cat books. Cat cartoons comes a close second. They're the lowest of the lowest. Want a make a few bucks at xmas? chuck out a cat book.

I'm not sure what you mean here, since I don't know the nature of the problem you're referencing, or what you believe the correct state of affairs would be...

sorry, I was in rant mode. Talking about cats can do that to me sometimes.

Mostly, I was wondering what you meant by "aesthetics of the damned", and what's wrong with "cat books" (or even what you consider a "cat book").

The phrase "aesthetics of the damned" has two sources for me.

One if the way cat-breeders model their animals according to a fixed aesthetic, a particular look. Nearly all pedigrees have medical problems, some due to small gene-pools, some due to physical deformities caused by the breeding programs. I regard cat shows as theatres of torture.

The other is the huge sentimentality invested in cats by a particular kind of cat-owner, one who substitutes cats for children, who seems to go into a kind of frenzy with the cat-stuff, the books, the toys, statuettes, foot-scrapers, pictures, sweat-shirts, socks, waist-coat, ties, etc etc. No matter the quality, aesthetic judgment seems to go out the window. Sentimentality wins throughout. Sentimentality also infects the book-market. It's known in the trade that cat books are a simple money spinner, particularly at christmas. Cat-owners seem to have little judgement when faced with a cute cat picture, or a book stuffed with cat pictures. But I suppose this happens when the hole in your life is filled by an object of affection, and if it's a cat, well. Of course, this doesn't mean that there aren't good books about cats. Or good tee-shirts with cats on them. With hindsight, I am being a little harsh. In my defense, I was knee-deep in cat -stuff at one stage and I did get a little ... freaky.

One of my least favourite memories of those years, is watching our queen eat one of her day-old kittens. Beside her, were the remnants of the others. Another of occassional "seeing" one of our cats I'd just buried. Another, I was digging a shallow grave and I sliced through the corpse of a previously buried cat.

I believe we are in agreement, then (although I wasn't quite so familiar with the commercial cat scene). I consider myself a cat-lover, but I realize that they aren't children, and I'd be perfectly happy adopting a stray (if I actually had a place I could keep a cat). And I probably won't be buying any books just for cat pictures; I can get those on the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:08 am 
Native

I adopted a stray cat once. He was a solid gray kitten with yellow eyes. I named him Blitz after a GI Joe villain. He grew to be the size of a small panther.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 pm 
Local

There are three strays that hang out in my grandmother's back yard because she puts food and water out for them. One's really friendly, but the other two seem kind of nervous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:39 pm 
Native

Awhile back my mom and aunt got the bright idea of taking care of about three strays that showed up on their porch. Turned out they were all females. And all pregnant. Two weeks later three cats became thirty. My uncle and I had to round 'em all up and haul them off to the Taco Mayo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:59 pm 
Local

A good cautionary tale... Two of the strays at my grandmother's house are females, and the other is male...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:29 am 
Local

BloodHenge wrote:
I believe we are in agreement, then (although I wasn't quite so familiar with the commercial cat scene). I consider myself a cat-lover, but I realize that they aren't children, and I'd be perfectly happy adopting a stray (if I actually had a place I could keep a cat). And I probably won't be buying any books just for cat pictures; I can get those on the internet.

I like strays and non-pedigrees. We used to rescue cats, and that's a satisfying feeling, although keeping them to one or two is good :wink: As soon we'd rescue them, we'd neuter them, get them injected etc etc. Neutering is good.

I even have the odd cat picture on my hard-drive, particularly ones from 4chan. They amuse me no end.

Also

http://kittenwar.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:31 am 
Local

Senko wrote:
I bet you enjoyed the acid neuter arrow then. Nice picture too is that a fox or a racoon of some kind?

That's a cat cuddling a mouse :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:14 am 
Local

Cuddling? Not strangling it in the grip of death? I guess it's one of those civilised spoiled cattered-front-and-rear-couldn't-catch-a-cold cats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:12 am 
Local

pillaroforder wrote:
Cuddling? Not strangling it in the grip of death? I guess it's one of those civilised spoiled cattered-front-and-rear-couldn't-catch-a-cold cats.

the original caption said "stupid cat" but I don't believe it. I think it's inter-species sex. Speaking of which, and bringing the thread slightly back on topic, can anyone remember Howard Chaykin's American Flagg? That had a red-haired talking cat (with bionic hands) who was a major character. He became Mayor of Chicago. Raul, I think he was called. Liked chat-shows. The connection is that Raul used to watch a TV program called inter-species sex. If I knew less crap, I swear I'd've a better job :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:17 am 
Local

<a href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=447527&in_page_id=1770">bus cat</a> Warning: it's the daily mail so approach with caution

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:15 am 
Local

Senko wrote:
Incidently do guys really just measure who's is longer instead of discussing things?

No.

Jon is turning a stupid stereotyped quasi-explanation for male behavior on its head in order to make his own personal point about Sarine and Sara fighting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:54 am 
Native

Killjoy wrote:
Senko wrote:
Incidently do guys really just measure who's is longer instead of discussing things?

Yes.

Fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:01 pm 
Local

I think you mean:

Yorik wrote:
Killjoy wrote:
No.

Jon is turning a stupid stereotyped quasi-explanation for male behavior on its head in order to make his own personal point about Sarine and Sara fighting.

Fixed.

I meant what I posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:26 am 
Local

Killjoy wrote:
I think you mean:

Yorik wrote:
Killjoy wrote:
Yes.

Fixed.

I meant what I posted.

And I wholly agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:06 am 
Native

Zherical wrote:
Killjoy wrote:
I think you mean:

Yorik wrote:
Killjoy wrote:
Yes.

Fixed.

I meant what I posted.

And I wholly agree.

Indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:28 am 
Local

I don't get the appeal of misquoting people. Maybe I'll try it to see what makes it so fun.

Yorik wrote:
I'm a gutless worthless little turd who thinks it's funny to misquote people to make it look like they share my juvenile purile ignorant opinion on something.

Zherical wrote:
I'm a gutless worthless little turd who thinks it's funny to misquote people to make it look like they share my juvenile purile ignorant opinion on something.

Huh. Still a mystery.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:32 am 
Local

Not misquoting, 'correcting' people, but it should be done in bold so you know what's what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:39 am 
Local

pillaroforder wrote:
Not misquoting, 'correcting' people, but it should be done in bold so you know what's what.

It's still misquoting. Putting another name on it doesn't make it OK. I guess I just come from a subculture where people's words matter and it's the height of fucktardary to mess with the words in that manner.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next