ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:40 am 
Native

Boss Out of Town wrote:
The Duke dodged millitary service back in the day, but learned about macho in college and while drinking with John Ford.

The way I heard it John Wayne was refused military service due to a health condition (which, ironically, was later revealed to have no impact on one's ability to serve in any way whatsoever), not because he didn't try to enlist.

And yes Senko. Yes we do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:20 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Yorik wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
The Duke dodged millitary service back in the day, but learned about macho in college and while drinking with John Ford.

The way I heard it John Wayne was refused military service due to a health condition (which, ironically, was later revealed to have no impact on one's ability to serve in any way whatsoever), not because he didn't try to enlist.

The biography I saw stated that he consciously chose between his career and the military. After years in B pictures, he was finally hooked up with Ford and was only just starting to get decent parts, when WWII started up. Most of the other actors were enlisting, leaving a shortage of talent in Hollywood. John Wayne capitalized on that to leap frog his gareer into what it finally became. By the time the war was over, he had become well enough known to keep up the momentum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:27 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Killjoy wrote:
While funny, the analysis of human (or elven) interaction as if it's simple wolf-pack dynamics is seriously lacking in, oh, accuracy and scientific support.

Just saying.

After just watching Attenborough, on the BBC (primates and apes [baboons, gorillas, and gibbons]), I beg to disagree. It may be overly simple but in the end, not overly inaccurate. But for subjective observation-only, with no possible empirical proof, it is neither objective or definitive. :-P

However, it is funny :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:02 am 
Local

Yorik wrote:

I've yet to encounter a situation where that method does not provide an adequate solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:28 am 
Expatriate

I find that rather disturbing so I shall throw out a red hearing to distract you off this topic.....are there any other webcomics like this with magic/talking cats/long running as elements making it up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:13 am 
Local

Senko wrote:
I find that rather disturbing so I shall throw out a red hearing to distract you off this topic.....are there any other webcomics like this with magic/talking cats/long running as elements making it up?

Several, I'm sure. If you replace "talking cats" with "ass-kicking bunny" then Sluggy Freelance is probably the best-known......but there are lots and lots of webcomics out there.

Dear lord, I just imagined Ellis meeting Bun-Bun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:00 am 
Native

I just imagined Usagi and Luna getting run over by a truck and Meji and Ellis getting hired as replacements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:15 am 
Local

I can imagine Ellis would be quite the irritation for Bub-Bun. What with his tendency to run his mouth off at every opportunity and his imperviousness to damage (and apparently, disregard for pain), Bun-Bun's methods would be less than effective in dealing with him. Though I imagine he could just ship Ellis off to Alaska.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:05 am 
Local

Senko wrote:
Incidently do guy's really just measure who's is longer instead of discussing things?

In my experience, guys tend simply to kick one anothers' asses instead.

Slamlander wrote:
However, it is funny :wink:

Or, at least, it started out that way.

Yorik wrote:
I just imagined Usagi and Luna getting run over by a truck and Meji and Ellis getting hired as replacements.

Somehow, that doesn't strike me as the side of the fight Meji would be on.

Besides, it would be much funnier if Ellis replaced Artemis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:06 am 
Addict

Senko wrote:

Webcomics and traditional comics ("Peanuts") and humorists of all stripes (anyone remember Archie and Mehitibel from American Lit?) having been anthromorphizing pets for decades. There is even a mystery novel series in which one of the viewpoints is that of a private detective's pet cats.

Thise seems to be a universal trope among writers not doing "realistic" fiction. You've got a beagle or rabbit or bunny in the house while you're writing, so why not give the critter a voice and imagine it commenting on the action or living its own subplot?

Of course, Errant Story being a fantasy, the whole trope fits in better than in, say, a story about a homicide investigation.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Last edited by Boss Out of Town on Thu May 17, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:26 am 
Local

Senko wrote:
Incidently do guy's really just measure who's is longer instead of discussing things?

Not found a ruler big enough.

Last edited by ri[[3r on Thu May 17, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:27 am 
Addict

Senko wrote:
I'm just entertained that Sarine didn't aknowledge Jon until (a) he'd had a brief chat with Ellis about beovaring and (b) she'd corrected Sarah. Also I think what works better than why because they want to know what she's saying and asking why she said so implies a different inteterest. Incidently do guy's really just measure who's is longer instead of discussing things?

No, although I have heard rumors about what happens in football locker rooms . . .

Anyway, neither the Freudian analogy and the wolfpack analogy have any real standing among scientists any more. As Slamlander notes, an analogy from primate heirarchies does have some credibility, although people who use it directly are oversimplifying. There is no part of human social interaction that has not been complicated by fifty thousand years of abstract sentience and cultural evolution.

Typically, when an undefined chain of command has to be clarified among humans, male or female, previous legal authority has the most influence (the retired sherriff, staff sargent on leave, everyone's grade school teacher), then current social rank ("gentlemen," middle-class "ladies," professionals, managers and foremen over working class and homemakers) and then education, race, gender, and personality come into the mix and can trump everything else.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Last edited by Boss Out of Town on Thu May 17, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:39 am 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Senko wrote:

Webcomics and traditional comics ("Peanuts") and humorists of all stripes (anyone remember Archie and Mehitibel from American Lit?) having been anthromorphizing pets for decades. There is even a mystery novel series in which one of the viewpoints is that of a private detective's pet cats.

Thise seems to be a universal trope among writers not doing "realistic" fiction. You've got a beagle or rabbit or bunny in the house while you're writing, so why not give the critter a voice and imagine it commenting on the action or living its own subplot?

Of course, Errant Story being a fantasy, the whole trope fits in than in, say, a story about a homicide investigation.

When I was married, we had about 10-20 cats at any one time, including a breeding queen. And with that came the fucking mountain of cat books and stuff. Shitloads of it. Most cat-owners have the aesthetics of the damned. You go to a major cat show and you'll find out. I hate cat books. Cat cartoons comes a close second. They're the lowest of the lowest. Want a make a few bucks at xmas? chuck out a cat book.

Cat-breeders are facists. I hate people who treat cats like toys or as if they own them; no you don't sucker, guardian != ownership.

So a foul-mouthed cat that get's zapped regularly. I can relate to that. Fucking applaud it. A little light comes on in my head when Ellis get's zapped. I bet Poe never thought of this when he invented ellis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:34 pm 
Native

BloodHenge wrote:
Yorik wrote:

Somehow, that doesn't strike me as the side of the fight Meji would be on.

Besides, it would be much funnier if Ellis replaced Artemis.

Both excellent points.

[size=0]And they don't even realize it, masterssssss. They still do not yet realize that this tiny planet has been but a mere colony of the Cat Empire for millenia![/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:58 pm 
Local

ri[[3r wrote:
When I was married, we had about 10-20 cats at any one time, including a breeding queen. And with that came the fucking mountain of cat books and stuff. Shitloads of it. Most cat-owners have the aesthetics of the damned. You go to a major cat show and you'll find out. I hate cat books. Cat cartoons comes a close second. They're the lowest of the lowest. Want a make a few bucks at xmas? chuck out a cat book.

I'm not sure what you mean here, since I don't know the nature of the problem you're referencing, or what you believe the correct state of affairs would be...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:14 pm 
Addict

ri[[3r wrote:
Senko wrote:

Not found a ruler big enough.

OMG! I just got the pun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:38 pm 
Local

BloodHenge wrote:
ri[[3r wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean here, since I don't know the nature of the problem you're referencing, or what you believe the correct state of affairs would be...

sorry, I was in rant mode. Talking about cats can do that to me sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:59 pm 
Expatriate

I bet you enjoyed the acid neuter arrow then. Nice picture too is that a fox or a racoon of some kind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:14 am 
Local

I bet it's a dead cat inhumed personally by the proud exhibitor.

DEATH: HE IS AN OLD FRIEND. YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:50 am 
Local

ri[[3r wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:
ri[[3r wrote:

sorry, I was in rant mode. Talking about cats can do that to me sometimes.

Mostly, I was wondering what you meant by "aesthetics of the damned", and what's wrong with "cat books" (or even what you consider a "cat book").

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next