ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:41 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
Actually, yes. That's what most of Ian's story is about, after all. This is also backed up by author's note. Refer to the wiki.

... That was not my ignorance, but whomever it is that would be listening to the story those humans would be telling. Meji would be their only reference of half-elven anatomy.

Boss Out of Town wrote:
If I took a trip from Chicago to, say, Shanghai, and came back claiming to have been part of a international terrorist incident that burned down a part of the city, I would at least expect to be debriefed by someone from the state department. If I'd been out researching a project on missing nuclear weapons (quite plausible for an American grad student) I'd even expect the CIA to take an interest.

(I know this is assuming basic professional competence, which is a long stretch for the kleptocrats in charge here right know)

Except that isn't really a good example, as atomic bombs are well established tech... Imagine instead if you claimed to have been out to get hold of an anti-matter bomb. Currently theoretically possible, but practically not anywhere within our reach. You might get lucky and find one left by some aliens millions of years ago. (Or make one in your kitchen)

Either way they'll think you're crazy and/or covering up your true involvement in a terrorist attack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:49 pm 
Addict

Rakshasa wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
Actually, yes. That's what most of Ian's story is about, after all. This is also backed up by author's note. Refer to the wiki.

... That was not my ignorance, but whomever it is that would be listening to the story those humans would be telling. Meji would be their only reference of half-elven anatomy.

Boss Out of Town wrote:
If I took a trip from Chicago to, say, Shanghai, and came back claiming to have been part of a international terrorist incident that burned down a part of the city, I would at least expect to be debriefed by someone from the state department. If I'd been out researching a project on missing nuclear weapons (quite plausible for an American grad student) I'd even expect the CIA to take an interest.

(I know this is assuming basic professional competence, which is a long stretch for the kleptocrats in charge here right know)

Except that isn't really a good example, as atomic bombs are well established tech... Imagine instead if you claimed to have been out to get hold of an anti-matter bomb. Currently theoretically possible, but practically not anywhere within our reach. You might get lucky and find one left by some aliens millions of years ago. (Or make one in your kitchen)

Yes, but the validity of the example depends on the answer to my question in the first paragraph: do the Tsairiki believe in magical/paranormal/deific forces beyond what they use in their magecraft? A story about the pedagogi is unbelievable only if the Tsairiki don't believe in creatures like the pedagogi. A description of a vast extra-dimensional hiding place is unbelievable only if the Tsairiki do not believe in vast extra-dimensional hiding places.

Of course, Tsairauku itself was a vast extra-dimensional hiding place for some centuries. And the descriptions of deific and quasi-deific creatures existing in their world do not come from ancient legends and rumors, they come from eye-witnesses and written sources from cultures just as rational as they are.

So, it is an open question.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:17 pm 
Local

I don't think the question is about believing, they probably have a lot of theoretical research that show many things that could, or have been shown to be very likely (in the scientific sense) to be possible.

The Pedagogi would fit very well in their model i think, not really shattering any great quantity of theories , yet they would marvel at their' intelligence and magical prowess. Almost so you'd start believing in a God... As is often the case when one studies our natural world.

There are two questions here really... How likely would the academia of Tsuirakushiti think the various elements of Meji's tale actually existing, and on top of that how trustworthy is Meji in her current situation.

The former does become a rather academic discussion when everything falls apart on the second part.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5