ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:22 am 
Expatriate

Slamlander wrote:
They'll at least check veracity with a truth spell and follow the bread-crumbs from there. Oh, don't forget that her grandfather is a Councilman.

Her grandfather's about to cut her off after she fails out.

And think of the international Political nightmare that calling up a neighboring country who's still looking for Culprits for a certain burning of a Library, just saying 'Hay guyz, your library burnded?'

Worst Case Scenario, Priest/Mage war, Round 2. Best Case Scenario, Meiji is carted off to face criminal charged in a foreign country.

That's something to consider. Meiji, in her misadventures for her Senior Project, as a representative of her School, and thus representative of her whole country's way of life, committed an act of War by burning down a Library of Sacred/Heretical (either way, very important) knowledge, with a country that Tsuiraku has already had a HUGE magic war with already.

So even if they do believe her story to the point of confirming facts, start to finish, when they get to this little gem, they'll want to sweep it under the rug immediately.

Note...

Crabby Van Dyke'd Teacher wrote:
"Not only did he get himself obliterated in the process, but also that event was what sparked the Mage and Priest Wars. Even to this day relations between Tsuiraku and Veracia are strained because of it."

... And then they'd expel her on principle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:24 am 
Expatriate

Say.. why do magic cities tend to be also floating cities?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:25 am 
Native

Mestro wrote:

Because the dragoncats demand it be so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:11 am 
Local

KurtDunn wrote:
That's something to consider. Meiji, in her misadventures for her Senior Project, as a representative of her School, and thus representative of her whole country's way of life, committed an act of War by burning down a Library of Sacred/Heretical (either way, very important) knowledge, with a country that Tsuiraku has already had a HUGE magic war with already.

Meji burned down the library? I thought Ian did it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:13 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:

It might be fair to note that Meji herself didn't actually burn down the Library. She didn't even steal anything, though she intended to. Ian did all of that. Of course, she did 'sneak' in by assaulting a couple of guards, but that's much less of a deal than actually burning down the entire place.

And all things considered, I think Veracia would be more concerned about the smoking pile of rubble that is Saus than about one library catching fire (and maybe not even burning down; remember, that nun was putting out the flames last we saw the place).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:14 am 
Addict

Mestro wrote:

Wouldn't you if you could?

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:22 am 
Addict

KurtDunn wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
They'll at least check veracity with a truth spell and follow the bread-crumbs from there. Oh, don't forget that her grandfather is a Councilman.

Her grandfather's about to cut her off after she fails out.

And think of the international Political nightmare that calling up a neighboring country who's still looking for Culprits for a certain burning of a Library, just saying 'Hay guyz, your library burnded?'

Worst Case Scenario, Priest/Mage war, Round 2. Best Case Scenario, Meiji is carted off to face criminal charged in a foreign country.

So even if they do believe her story to the point of confirming facts, start to finish, when they get to this little gem, they'll want to sweep it under the rug immediately.

Note...

Crabby Van Dyke'd Teacher wrote:
"Not only did he get himself obliterated in the process, but also that event was what sparked the Mage and Priest Wars. Even to this day relations between Tsuiraku and Veracia are strained because of it."

... And then they'd expel her on principle.

Dude, that beat-up grad student just came back from two months in the wilderness talking about a city half-burned down in a dispute over an ancient tome, a squad of Elves wiped out in pursuit of the tome, pissed off fairy demi-gods with wings wandering about, and a possibly crazed deity unleashed upon the world. This is a potential apocalypse. Shouldn't there at least be a school assembly?
Cripes, get Gandalf, Conan, Steed and Mrs Peel, Our Man Flint and Doc Savage on this one STAT!

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:34 am 
Green Text

Lot of folks in this thread are being overly pessimistic, methinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:19 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Kest wrote:
Lot of folks in this thread are being negative, methinks.

fixed! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:13 pm 
Expatriate

The following text will the translated into 'old crabby wizard vision.'

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Dude, that beat-up grad student...

Academic failure and disgrace to the school...

Boss Out of Town wrote:
... just came back from two months in the wilderness talking about a city half-burned down in a dispute over an ancient tome...

Getting lost and burning down a city of and old enemy that we have no reason to really fight anymore. Joy.

Boss Out of Town wrote:
... a squad of Elves wiped out in pursuit of the tome...

Representatives of an ancient, isolationist civilization hundreds of years more advanced than us who prefer to kill Humans rather than talk things over, of whom we've been on speaking terms for a while. A nice change of pace. And they wanted you dead, so even if you didn't do something to deserve it, I'm probably prepared to assume you are for positive political relations.

Boss Out of Town wrote:
... pissed off fairy demi-gods with wings wandering about, and a possibly crazed deity unleashed upon the world.

No such thing as gods, and you're just making stuff up now, you disgrace of a student in the noble arts of the ARCANE!

Boss Out of Town wrote:
This is a potential apocalypse. Shouldn't there at least be a school assembly?
Cripes, get Gandalf, Conan, Steed and Mrs Peel, Our Man Flint and Doc Savage on this one STAT!

Hrmp, we put most of those lawless miscreants in prison, where you're going, Miss 'I don't have any regard for international politics and I don't do my homework.'

This isn't the Wild West or a Barbaric Land. This is a well established city of Magical and Political Influence. And between a startling powerful fabricated God and an ancient juggernaut of Elven knowledge and strength (most of which Tsuiraku would want for themselves after relations get better), there are more important things to worry about than the welfare and passing grade of a very poor student.

Besides, no one is starting to think this is the Beginning of the End. Well, except for Sarine and her conniving Overbosses, maybe.

BloodHenge wrote:
Meji burned down the library? I thought Ian did it.

And as to who specifically cast the spell to burn down the Library... Well that's a moot point as the only other person capable of being punished 'allegedly' went explodey. And hard to prove that someone really adept in blowing stuff up didn't do it herself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:30 pm 
Local

KurtDunn wrote:
And as to who specifically cast the spell to burn down the Library... Well that's a moot point as the only other person capable of being punished 'allegedly' went explodey. And hard to prove that someone really adept in blowing stuff up didn't do it herself.

I dunno... only chance I can recall Meji getting to actually blow something up was the door to the Giant Glowing Magical Potato Thing, and she failed pretty miserably at that.

I think this is more like if I went for a trip to Tijuana (nearest foreign city to me) and came back after it blew up (or a major building in it blew up); yeah, I've got a short fuse and I can be destructive enough on a small scale when I lose it, but I'm not capable of doing that kind of damage, and I don't think anyone would seriously believe me if I claimed it was my doing. I might get detained by Homeland Security while they investigate me, but they'd quickly find I was nowhere near that capable. Meji, while being aptly titled a Psychotic Mage Chick, really just isn't that powerful. If she claims to have been in Emerylon or Saus when their respective disasters happened, she's more likely to be probed for relevant information (which may still incriminate her somewhat) rather than being outright blamed for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:22 pm 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
Completely out of context. In this case we have an environment that includes Luminosita, Elves, Dwarves, and some fairly high-end magic users. In addition, Meji, as flakey as she is, is in a mage school, in a city that floats in the sky, using magical forces. They are much less likely to auto-discount her story than present-day Earth academicans, regardless of how hide-bound they think they are.

The academagicans could come up with some nice theory that would explain what Meji claims to have seen, same goes for our real world except it would be something about natural phenomena involving lightning, etc.

Meji has, as in my example, very little credibility. Just because there exists Mass hallucinations, ancient races and geniuses doesn't mean everyone thinks they live in a faerie tale. That is their natural world... Magic is like electricity for them, amazing but with limitations. No doubt they have had their fair share of lunatics. (Read: religious nuts, crazy people who talk with aliens/god/monkeys)

Does this mean people in that world will believe any kind of wild tale coming from some rather dubious source? Rather, would they not instead look at her kinda like we look at those people doing healing with magnets and electrical fields?

They're more likely to think she got a bit... frustrated and decided to blow up Saus. It's one of those things she's really famous for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:23 pm 
Local

Considering Meji could easily back up her story with many people and many supporting examples, I'd think she'd likely be believed.

However, I seriously doubt she'll go through the trouble at all to do so. I'm guessing she just wants Ian back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:47 pm 
Local

bellofthedamned wrote:
Considering Meji could easily back up her story with many people and many supporting examples, I'd think she'd likely be believed.

Who? Let's see:

* An elf ranger. (Yeah, she'll do that...)
* An assassin and his sister. (Perhaps... They do look trustworthy, no?)
* A flying cat. (Defective model... You're just messing with us, right? Heh)
* A dick-girl and her girlfriend. (What more do I need to say?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:01 pm 
Local

How about Saus? Santuariel? Those people?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:10 pm 
Local

Forrest wrote:
KurtDunn wrote:

I dunno... only chance I can recall Meji getting to actually blow something up was the door to the Giant Glowing Magical Potato Thing, and she failed pretty miserably at that.

Ellis did mention that she's pretty good at blowing stuff up (even if that's about all he believes she's good at). And she has demonstrated facility in the art of incendiary sorcery on occasion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:45 am 
Expatriate

BloodHenge wrote:
Ellis did mention that she's pretty good at blowing stuff up (even if that's about all he believes she's good at). And she has demonstrated facility in the art of incendiary sorcery on occasion.

Evidence is piling up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:08 am 
Local

bellofthedamned wrote:
How about Saus? Santuariel? Those people?

There's no coherent story from the former, much less anything pointing to sleeping gods/liquefied energy. Just an elven patrol and some errants going berserk.

The latter... They have less incentive to visit Tsuirakishitii than most. Let's go out and tell the world about our half-elven city! You might find some humans you can question, but they'd only tell about some damn good healer. (Is it really that hard to heal an half-elf?)

Besides, they might as well go straight to the resting place of anilis, both are in the middle of nowhere. So you're still faced with the problem of getting anyone to actually do anything to check up the story.[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:40 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Rakshasa wrote:
(Is it really that hard to heal an half-elf?)

Actually, yes. That's what most of Ian's story is about, after all. This is also backed up by author's note. Refer to the wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:00 am 
Addict

Hmmm . . . . has it been established that the Tsairaki intelligentsia do not believe in supernatural creatures/powers at all? As opposed to not believing in the known "gods" and the local versions of creationism? If so, why did Meji's teacher not only let her undertake the project, but give her a warning about what might happen if she mis-interpreted her discovery?

If I took a trip from Chicago to, say, Shanghai, and came back claiming to have been part of a international terrorist incident that burned down a part of the city, I would at least expect to be debriefed by someone from the state department. If I'd been out researching a project on missing nuclear weapons (quite plausible for an American grad student) I'd even expect the CIA to take an interest.

(I know this is assuming basic professional competence, which is a long stretch for the kleptocrats in charge here right know)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next