ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 2007-05-28: Call me when you pull your head out of your ass!
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:18 am 
Local

Really, she should charge admission for that trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:38 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
That was a rant from nowhere :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:42 am 
Green Text

Thus departs an NPC we will likely never see again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:33 am 
Addict

Slamlander wrote:
That was a rant from nowhere :confused:

Seemed natural to me. We established that she was a shallow but concerned acquaintance who was trying to help Meji cheer up in a shallow but plausible way. Foul-mouthed explosions of temper, wise or foolish, are the cultural norm these days among the youth of Amer . . . er, Tsairaku, no matter how "cute" their outer face, so why not?

Meji isn't handling this well, obviously, but whether she will "learn" anything from her trial is still an open question.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:02 am 
Local

Also, it is a natural reaction after being told such an obviously fake recounting of what happened... "If you're not even gonna bother telling me the truth about how you spent the last 2 months following that Ian guy trying to get laid instead of working on your finals project, why should I care?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:07 am 
Local

Kest wrote:

Shame she was hot :)

Well its time for Meji to make up her mind. The "project" she was working on more then likely is dead in the water now. Ian is god know where, and ellis is just as lost.

Where do we go from here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:13 am 
Tourist

I don' think it's so much that she doesn't believe Meji, but it's probably more tht she's frustrted by Meji's inability to comprehend that her failing isn't the result of what didn't go her way during the past 2 months, but rather, than it happened because she simply didn't take responsibility for her actions. Keeping in mind that Meji never really did seem to give much of a fuck about anything the events during that time meant, aside from her interest in how she could use them to her advantage. and personal, selfish benefit. (Altruism, thou art NOT a Psychotic Mage Chick).

ie. "I'm going to fail because while i was out gallavanting aimlessly around the world, i didn't get what i wanted, the boy i liked disappeared, etc etc...."

isn't not taking responsibility, and is her deflecting blame to a series of external factors. whereas:

"I'm going to fail because throughout the entire school year, i just barely eked by doing an absolute minimum of schoolwork, relying on my family's position in society to prevent my expulsion, offering sexual favours to my instructors, and putting all my eggs into one basket at the very last possible moment", at the very least, shows some acknowledgement that her problems are of her own doing, and nobody else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:31 am 
Local

Etsuko's a bitch.

But it does seem like Meji probably went on about how Ian didn't give her the god-stick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:20 am 
Addict

bellofthedamned wrote:
But it does seem like Meji probably went on about how Ian didn't give her the god-stick.

Thats awesome, I'm going to call my penis The God-Stick from now on.
With the power to create life...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:32 am 
Local

Ptrix wrote:
I don' think it's so much that she doesn't believe Meji, but it's probably more tht she's frustrted by Meji's inability to comprehend that her failing isn't the result of what didn't go her way during the past 2 months, but rather, than it happened because she simply didn't take responsibility for her actions. Keeping in mind that Meji never really did seem to give much of a fuck about anything the events during that time meant, aside from her interest in how she could use them to her advantage. and personal, selfish benefit. (Altruism, thou art NOT a Psychotic Mage Chick).

ie. "I'm going to fail because while i was out gallavanting aimlessly around the world, i didn't get what i wanted, the boy i liked disappeared, etc etc...."

isn't not taking responsibility, and is her deflecting blame to a series of external factors. whereas:

"I'm going to fail because throughout the entire school year, i just barely eked by doing an absolute minimum of schoolwork, relying on my family's position in society to prevent my expulsion, offering sexual favours to my instructors, and putting all my eggs into one basket at the very last possible moment", at the very least, shows some acknowledgement that her problems are of her own doing, and nobody else.

In all fairness, Meji's going to fail because of both things. She slacked off, but her late-game effort was totally '92 Buffalo Bills. She has a proffessor famous for never having once given an 'A' for a final project, and she pulled off an 'A' worthy concept. Along the way she commited acts of war on a belligerent nation-state, found love, dodged death squads, assembled a team of all-star international assassins, and commited potentially lethal acts of sacrilige. And then everything fell apart on the one yard line. She's perfectly justified in faulting her stars as well as herself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:44 am 
Local

Datdude wrote:
Kest wrote:

Shame she was hot :)

It's never a shame that a girl is hot.

Ptrix wrote:

Just because you take responsibility for your actions doesn't mean you can't be bummed out by the consequences. Also note that her final project was the last thing she mentioned; I'm convinced that she's more upset over Ian and Ellis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:28 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
normalphil wrote:
Ptrix wrote:

In all fairness, Meji's going to fail because of both things. She slacked off, but her late-game effort was totally '92 Buffalo Bills. She has a proffessor famous for never having once given an 'A' for a final project, and she pulled off an 'A' worthy concept. Along the way she commited acts of war on a belligerent nation-state, found love, dodged death squads, assembled a team of all-star international assassins, and commited potentially lethal acts of sacrilige. And then everything fell apart on the one yard line. She's perfectly justified in faulting her stars as well as herself.

I actually agree with this and Etsuko, undrestandably less mature and light-years more celf-centered, completely misses it (actually, the bitch doesn't care and only wants the "feel good" of being "compasionate" towards someone. She doesn't care that it happens to be Meji.).

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Foul-mouthed explosions of temper, wise or foolish, are the cultural norm these days among the youth of Amer . . . er, Tsairaku, no matter how "cute" their outer face, so why not?

This exacerbates the issue and I agree with Boss. I've seen a 40-year+ degradation curve here regarding public and inter-relational civility. In the 70's, that would NOT have happened in that way and Etsuko's rant would have been more civil and a whole lot less abrupt (without warning). To me, Etsuko's rant almost sounds schizophrenic/psychotic and in that time, would have been frowned on.

On the other hand, my daughter's friends tend to be mellower than that. Then again, she's fairly passive herself and doesn't deal well with such disruption.

Society changes, non?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:00 pm 
Local

You know, she kinda looks like that one elf leader-person.

http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2006-05-19

Isn't dark hair and pale skin Dark-Elf thingy?

Isn't it kinda possible that the Half-Elves didn't just "die out" but more were mixed so much in the gene pool that they ended up not giving the point ears/super-magic resistence like alot of them have? How much you want to bet that Tsu....Tsu...Tsu something has a higher rate of insanity then mostly everywhere? Might explain a bit about the culture, with a bunch of slightly bi-polar people running around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:03 pm 
Local

Rubber Band Man wrote:
You know, she kinda looks like that one elf leader-person.

http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2006-05-19

Isn't dark hair and pale skin Dark-Elf thingy?

Isn't it kinda possible that the Half-Elves didn't just "die out" but more were mixed so much in the gene pool that they ended up not giving the point ears/super-magic resistence like alot of them have? How much you want to bet that Tsu....Tsu...Tsu something has a higher rate of insanity then mostly everywhere? Might explain a bit about the culture, with a bunch of slightly bi-polar people running around.

Yeah, that is something that has been perplexing me for quite a while now. Tsuirakushiti was pretty much built by half-elves (and humans and elves too, but largely half-elves). So why is it entirely human now? One possibility is that the Errant War spread onto Tsuirakushiti as well, and the humans there won as elsewhere. Another possibility though, as your comment suggests, is that they did all just get along and had a bunch of hippy free love orgies for a few thousand years, and humans <strike>being such better lovers</strike> breeding so much more quickly just means that any elven blood still around in the city has been almost completely diluted.

A related curiosity is just what happened to the rest of Tsuiraku during and after the war? It's a big place, Tsuirakushiti being just one city; and only that city having vanished for a few thousand years. Is most of Tsuiraku still a developing backwater like Farrell, and only Tsuirakushiti is the glittering pinnacle of magical technology? I imagine that, given how North America has shot up from a predominantly hunter-gatherer culture to one of the biggest technological powerhouses on Earth in just a few hundred years, Tsuirakushiti could have easily developed the rest of Tsuiraku in the few hundred years since their cloaking field died.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:33 pm 
Expatriate

Some interesting ideas in this thread and I think part of the reason why the rest of the land is so low in tech compared to Tsurikial is that the idea of sharing hasn't occured to them since they still have at least one semi-hostile state out there combined with the fact that the major power still around is actively opposed to any development on religous grounds. As for the rant its also part of the anonimity of the internet I think alot of kids are growing up on online games where they can be rude or downright mean actively trying to make things difficult to others without any punishment. Back in the 70's you'd be more likely to have personal interaction with a swift slap to the back of the head if your disrespectful.

Personally I'd like to see our old familiar Meiji back I just can't relate to this new more adult one she seems like a new character to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:48 pm 
Local

Well, Even the northren confed is hoarding its best guns and only selling the shittiest things that can't be made elsewhere. And Meji said that Tsuirakushiti is paying people to build travel platforms. And I don't even know if the area around the floating city even has people (isn't it over a lake?).

Besides, the city has been taking care of itself for over a thousand years. I doubt it really needs anything from other countries, so why bother with trading? Its mages are the best that are widely known.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:14 pm 
Native

Forrest wrote:
[

A related curiosity is just what happened to the rest of Tsuiraku during and after the war? It's a big place, Tsuirakushiti being just one city; and only that city having vanished for a few thousand years. Is most of Tsuiraku still a developing backwater like Farrell, and only Tsuirakushiti is the glittering pinnacle of magical technology? I imagine that, given how North America has shot up from a predominantly hunter-gatherer culture to one of the biggest technological powerhouses on Earth in just a few hundred years, Tsuirakushiti could have easily developed the rest of Tsuiraku in the few hundred years since their cloaking field died.

Tsuiraku still only has two real cities. (Though many residents of Tsuirakushiti proper would say three as they prefer to consider the various ground construction, built around the lake that the original city disc floats over, as a completely separate city.) Of course, there's the capital, Tsuirakushiti (both the original floating city disc and all the stuff that expanded out on to the ground level after the continent was purchased from Farrel.

Then, near the southern coast, there's Kiyoka. Back when the land still belonged to Farrel, it was just a very small port village that grew out of a few logging camps. (For whatever reasons the rest of the continent was never really developed much and was mostly left deserted) When the island became Tsuiraku, the small village started growing rapidly since it was the main point of entry into the country from Farrel in the days before the various warp gates and airship ports were set up. Eventually it was renamed Kiyoka and grew into being far more than just a port city. Even today, with easy travel to Tsuirakushiti available in just about every major city in Farrel, Kiyoka is a popular destination for travelers coming from Farrel or Veracia due to the city being a mix of the original Farrel inhabitants and tsuirakuans who got fed up living on a giant crowded disc floating in the air, and because it is noticeably lacking the air of 'stuck up bitchiness' that many people perceive Tsuirakushiti possesses.

Besides these two cities, the rest of the country is still largely bare. This is generally contributed to the mindset of most Tsuirakuians, preferring to live in ether large, busy cities or out in the middle of nowhere all by themselves.

I think the joke was originally going to be that Tsuirakushiti was Tokyo and Kiyoka was Osaka.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:21 pm 
Local

Ah, wonderfully informative! Thank you very much Poe :-)

So saying "I'm from Tsuiraku" and "I'm from Tsuirakushiti" really carries the same connotations when travelling abroad, as if you're from Tsuiraku at all you're most likely from Tsuirakushiti anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:43 pm 
Expatriate

Michael Poe wrote:
...after the continent was purchased from Farrel.

... Purchased!? I'm really curious, now, as to how they could do that... Floating city-disks don't strike me as rich in natural resources, and a few magic tricks hardly seems like the kind of payment a country considers for such a sizable chunk of land.

Perhaps a mage or two has discovered alchemy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:21 pm 
Native

Tiamat wrote:

... Purchased!? I'm really curious, now, as to how they could do that... Floating city-disks don't strike me as rich in natural resources, and a few magic tricks hardly seems like the kind of payment a country considers for such a sizable chunk of land.

Perhaps a mage or two has discovered alchemy?

Well, at the time Farrel had become so intertwine and dependent with Veracia, that one of the most common points of discussion among the populous was "how long do you think before Veracia just decides to annex us?"

So when Tsuiraku showed up, Farrel was 'Ah, Hello new friend! Come, talk, tell us of things, stay a spell. Perhaps you need anything? Just ask it. We can make you great deal! Let's see what you have to offer." because they saw it as their best shot at getting out from under Veracia.

And it worked quite well too. At the cost of just a chunk of land that wasn't doing much for them anyway, they have managed to build themselves back up into a world power just by the sake of skillful trade relations and being the go-between for Tsuiraku and Veracia.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next