ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: 04Jun07 - before we default right to the start killing everybody plan.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:33 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Is Jon a bubba or what?

I've actually seen Americans do this, both here and in the Netherlands. I cringe every time I see it. It's the American notion of what they think everyone else thinks English sounds like. Like speaking some form of bastardized pig-latin is going to make them any more understandable than simple English. It's embarrassing to see. I've even had one lady, from the South, do it to me on the streets of Amsterdam. I spoke better English than she did but I softened it to avoid embarrassing her.

The best thing to do, in a foriegn country where you do not know the language is to speak simple English, not to be confused with grade-school children's english. Just don't use English constructs above the 6th grade level and avoid colloqialisms and slang until you've heard the level of their English. The ones that hear you will figure it out or get help. But doing what Jon did, will only make you less undrestandable and embarrass you, as well.

Back to the story; did they just run into the immigration police?

Last edited by Slamlander on Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 04Jun07 - before we default right to the start killing everybody plan.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:55 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
Just don't use English constructs above the 6th grade level and avoid colloqialisms and slang until you've heard the level of their English.

I'm boned then. I've been using English at a sixth grade level probably since the third grade (hard to remember; it was almost twenty years ago), and I use colloquialisms that people in other parts of the state don't understand without even realizing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:57 am 
Local

Defence by feigning ignorance; not the best way by far but Jon is used to evading attention, I guess, and it must be a reflex by now. He should really learn a better one by now.

Quote:
did they just run into the immigration police?

Some sort of police, definitely, those guys in the back look like Bani, ergo military, Yuuki staffs and the lot.

DEATH: HE IS AN OLD FRIEND. YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:26 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
I'm wondering if one of them might even be Bani and that she remembers Jon and Sarine. We'll find out soon, I guess.

Note Sarine's commands to Sara; Stay, sit, hold!
The worst bit is that Sara's been so dehumanised that she doesn't even notice. There's a lot of rehab work needed there. But she's definitely bound to Sarine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:02 am 
Local

"Good dog."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:13 am 
Local

Really... How did they expect to get through the security checks of a city like Tsuirakushiti?... They got with them:

* At least two firearms.
* Two magic elven blades.
* An elf.
* Ellis.

"Es si circus artist-o"?

Hmm... Wait... Looks like they got rid of at least the most visible weapons. And that guy looks like one of the warpgate operators, so I guess they see in detail everything they warp in or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:25 am 
Addict

Rakshasa wrote:
Really... How did they expect to get through the security checks of a city like Tsuirakushiti?... They got with them:

* At least two firearms.
* Two magic elven blades.
* An elf.
* Ellis.

"Es si circus artist-o"?

Hmm... Wait... Looks like they got rid of at least the most visible weapons. And that guy looks like one of the warpgate operators, so I guess they see in detail everything they warp in or something.

My guess is simple visitors registration and that Sarine is probably carrying credentials of some sort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:33 am 
Local

Simple visitor registration would not entail the warpgate operator coming out to talk to one of the guards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:36 am 
Local

If johnnie foreigner doesn't understand you, just SHOUT LOUDER CAPSLOCK CRUISECONTROL - oh, hang on ...

Sara's relationship with Sarine is getting *very interesting. I look forward to the results.

I like the "kill everybody" plan although it could get messy.

As for the security checks, "these aren't the droids you're looking for."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:54 am 
Local

"Really, then what droids are we looking for then?"

Anyway... I find it interesting that Sara is already volunteering secrets of her former order so easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:03 am 
Addict

I doubt Sarine would be stupid enough to try to hex her way past the guards in a city of mages. Meji tried that at the Veracian library, but she was ignorant.

Speaking of which, Slamlander has his colloquialisms reversed. Nerd is an American slur for someone who dares to appear smart and literate in public. So far in this chapter, Jon has slipped beyond his usual sulky gruffness to redneck slob. He's traveled before and should know better.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:07 am 
Addict

Rakshasa wrote:
Simple visitor registration would not entail the warpgate operator coming out to talk to one of the guards.

Have you been through your friendly neighborhood International Airport lately? Anything different and you almost get greeted with a SWAT team. Yes, the guy's a mage and he probably detected Sara's mage abilities and the fact that Sarine is an Elf. Not that many elves travel and the only other mages that Tsuirakuans know about are Veracian priests, of which, Sara is clearly not a member. He probably has standing orders on what to do.

... and there is Ellis (some kind of animal control thing?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:12 am 
Addict

Boss Out of Town wrote:
I doubt Sarine would be stupid enough to try to hex her way past the guards in a city of mages. Meji tried that at the Veracian library, but she was ignorant.

Speaking of which, Slamlander has his colloquialisms reversed. Nerd is an American slur for someone who dares to appear smart and literate in public. So far in this chapter, Jon has slipped beyond his usual sulky gruffness to redneck slob. He's traveled before and should know better.

You're right Boss, fixed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:28 am 
Local

Got a in-comic refrence to the translation spells...

And was Sara REALLY about to jump in and kill that guy for stoping them? If so, maybe rehab wouldn't be too much, but as is, she's just kinda "Ho-Hum" about things it seems.

Interesting how wordy she gets when she does open her mouth. Its only a matter of time before she starts looking down on Jon mentally. And by the look of the 2ed panel, she noticed them pointing them out before anyone else did. Good sense of the surroundings if you ask me. Prolly already knows that they'll have to fight it out/go to Immigration Services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:39 am 
Local

I'm guessing someone noticed a strange group of people whose attires correspond to different groups and thought, "Holy crap, do ALL of our enemies have an alliance against us?"

Or maybe, better yet, Meji used her grandpa's influence to put out an APB on her friends?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:45 am 
Addict

bellofthedamned wrote:
I'm guessing someone noticed a strange group of people whose attires correspond to different groups and thought, "Holy crap, do ALL of our enemies have an alliance against us?"

Or maybe, better yet, Meji used her grandpa's influence to put out an APB on her friends?

Or maybe Gramps did, on his own, after listening to Meji's story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:51 am 
Local

Possibly, but I wonder if her family even bothered to wonder where she was.

I don't recall anyone coming after her the whole time she was gone. Poor Meji, she's from one of those neglectful homes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:51 am 
Local

Rakshasa wrote:
"Really, then what droids are we looking for then?"

Anyway... I find it interesting that Sara is already volunteering secrets of her former order so easily.

Sara is more interesting than Jon. I think Sara needed to put her faith (she was part of a religious order after all) in someone having been cut loose (completely) from her previous mother figure, Anita, the woman who replaced her dead mother. She's like a defrocked priest who is looking for something or someone to provide the order she previously had in her life. That someone is Sarine.

Jon is a low-level thug, you can meet his sort in bars and docks anywhere where such places exist. Jon is slightly above average in that he went on to be a contract killer; you usually have to join the armed forces to get that privilege. His reactions remind of the few squaddies I've known. In some senses, I think he needs Sarine as well, to replace the mother he lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:10 am 
n00b

bellofthedamned wrote:
Possibly, but I wonder if her family even bothered to wonder where she was.

I don't recall anyone coming after her the whole time she was gone. Poor Meji, she's from one of those neglectful homes.

Why should they bother looking for her when they knew that she was going to be gone for a few months because she left to work on her senior project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:26 am 
Expatriate

Still you have to admire the varying plan A's they have here...

Jon: I don't speak the language so let me go.
Sara: Kill them all?
Sarine: ????

For me plan A is try and figure out what they want first since this is Tsurikiel it could be anything from "Why are you bringing weapons in" to "Excuse me do you know a girl named Meiji?" in this case ah well wait and see wait and see. Afterall if they were planning on the kill/detain strategy its likely they'd be more brusque "Come with us" or have more guards gathering around them as it is they're saying "Excuse me sir and madams we need to speak with you please." and at least one guard has his back to them hardly hostile behaviour.

I don't think however Sarine is treating Sara like a dog its more likely she saw the "Time mage killer" tensing for combat and used short clear instructions to get her to stop before she was moving too fast to do so and then went onto more detailed information once she was sure she had her attention. Remember sara would only need a second to either (a) kill a lot of people or (b) try to kill a lot of people and get them in serious trouble.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next