ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:12 pm 
Local

They should just give him one of the tentacle familiars as a greeting gift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:23 pm 
Addict

Might work. But only if the final form of said tentacle monster is tentacles down below and female up above... and with at least one vagina hidden somewhere. The perfect way to insure the dumbassador is too busy to declare war!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:40 pm 
Local

Labrat wrote:
Kest wrote:
Give it up - at this point Senko is either slow, spiteful, or foreign.

In otherword... foreign.

I do not thank you.

And, please, think to wash your mouth next time you intend an hurting racist comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:42 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
BloodHenge wrote:
Kest wrote:
Theros wrote:
Oh god damn it the names are RIGHT IN THE COMIC AND/OR WIKI. ARGH.

In my experience, foreigners tend toward better grammar than native speakers (a fact that occasionally causes me to weep quietly in the middle of the night).

Only in America, a fact which should make you weep more :cry: Everyone out here teaches better English than is taught in the US. (MY LJ friends list includes a wonderful gal that is a HS English teacher [Master's degree]. A casual glance at her posts reveals the fact that she can't spell and the grammar isn't much better.)

BloodHenge wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
Obvously, time magic is allowed in Veracia, that's where the time-monks live.

Unless the Ensigerium operates outside the law.

AFAICT and from Anita's interview with the head of the Veracian Church, the law is at the whim of the Ensigerum. They are not outside the law, they are above the law, and the law is whatever they say it is.

Veracia is ruled by the ultra-elite, which tells the Church what they want and the Church makes it happen, all unbeknownst to the general populous. They cynically use religion for civil control, to keep the population repressed. The alliance between the Ensigerum and the Veracian Church can be best described as being forged in Hell, with the Veracian Church, along with Dame Justice, taking the Ensigerum load in any oriface the Ensigerum deign to leave it, or not, as the case may be.

Neko7 wrote:
Labrat wrote:
Kest wrote:

In otherword... foreign.

I do not thank you.

And, please, think to wash your mouth next time you intend an hurting racist comment.

You are being a mite too touchy. It wasn't a racist remark. There is a fine and sharp difference between racism and general bigotry. General bigotry knows no race or gender. The offending comment, for example, applies to all people not native to the US, regardless of race, gender, or color. It applies equally to a white Swede, as it does to a black South African, a brown Malaysian, and a crazy Harajuku Japanese. Conversely, it includes members of all those races and cultures that were born and raised in the US. At best stretch, the comment is Nationalistic and a certain amount of that is allowed, although many of us would like to see it applied with a bit more intelligence.
It is therefore not a racist comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:02 pm 
Green Text

Seems a lot of people are awfully quick to slam someone with the 'racist!!' remark though, aren't they?

Neko7 wrote:
hurting

Is it? Why take the comment personally - Labrat's opinion, does it hold some weight for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:36 pm 
Expatriate

I'd also like to point out that just because the Veracian church is now forced to do what the Ensigerum want doesn't mean that they didn't/don't genuinely believe in their god and his instructions. Its just that they're forced to do what the time assasins say when its forced consider the head priests attitude towards their leader when she first showed up.

EDIT
And even the Terry Pratchet golems don't have anything to do with Necromancy their minds and ideas are forged from their experiences and are on a number of occasions noted as being essentially different to human ones. There aren't (to my knowledge) any golems that are powered by the souls of the dead.

Of course this isn't a general rule the golems in the Jade Empire PC game are necromantic as they are literally powered and in some casse controlled by the souls of the dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:49 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Senko wrote:
I'd also like to point out that just because the Veracian church is now forced to do what the Ensigerum want doesn't mean that they didn't/don't genuinely believe in their god and his instructions. Its just that they're forced to do what the time assasins say when its forced consider the head priests attitude towards their leader when she first showed up.

The first rule of creating a god: Don't believe it's real!

If you want sprituality, you are better off with the elves. At least, their gods are real and not fabricated. The Veracian Church can't afford to begin believing their own bullshit. That would be their ultimate downfall. It's bad enough that Luminosita's true nature was revealed, to everyone else, when it shorted out against the elven barrier/shield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:30 pm 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
Senko wrote:

The first rule of creating a god: Don't believe it's real!

If you want sprituality, you are better off with the elves. At least, their gods are real and not fabricated. The Veracian Church can't afford to begin believing their own bullshit. That would be their ultimate downfall. It's bad enough that Luminosita's true nature was revealed, to everyone else, when it shorted out against the elven barrier/shield.

Realizing that we've got no direct evidence that Luminosita is a fake god (we're basically relying on hearsay from smart-asses), and Anilis, which one of those smart-asses maintains is a real god turns out to be functionally equivilent to Luminosita, mechanics-wise (a sentient mass of magical energy of such shear power that 'A sufficient difference in degree becomes a difference in kind' applies, and can be 'fueled' by pumping more magic in it). Hell, Meji's got the best perspective of anybody except Ian on this point, and she regards them as equally 'fake' and exploitable. Although I prefer Ellis's analysis of 'equally legit and vulnerable'.

Mark my words, Luminosita is going to end up being some glimmer of an Elven god that a bunch of recently evicted from elven civilization humans found dead in a swamp somewhere in prehistoric Veracia and 'nursed back to health' over the course of a thousand years by pumping magic into him; give me odds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:58 am 
Expatriate

Fantasy settings diverge pretty widely on their theories of magic and the divine, and I would hesitate to accept the truth of any sort of narrative description by an ordinary character --- particularly not from someone like Meji! Now, a narrative by a Learned Old Man, sure.

Anyway, there are certainly theories under which belief itself would contribute to its reality, i.e. that widespread Veracian belief in Luminosita would contribute substantially to the god's independence and power. These theories don't usually fit into mythologies where a small number of gods created the world, though; these tend to have fixed pantheons, or at least purely self-propagating pantheons. The killing blow to that idea is really that Luminosita is the only known example; if casual mysticism can bloom into a true religion, it would surely be pervasive.

Well, except that everyone in this world is evidently either sardonic or a rube.

Still, it's worth noting that none of the stories we've been told about Luminosita contraindicate his (its?) true divinity. We know that Shiro Hideaki tried to siphon power from him, but died somehow; the Tsuirakans think he over-strained himself, but Hideaki might just as well have been struck down for insolence. We know that Luminosita was brought to war against the elves, but there are Biblical stories which aren't particularly different, except that Luminosita's power wasn't completely sufficient. We know that the elves and Tsuirakans believe he's just a mindless heap of magic, but like normalphil said, that's not all that different from what we know of Anilis --- but we might be unwise to assume Anilis's pliability.

It is natural to believe that, because we have a theory of how something works, we are somehow in control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:10 am 
Local

Rakshasa wrote:
Much to indicate there's a general ban on using, in addition to researching, and no evidence that it is allowed. Even if you could show that there wasn't a ban, a ban on research would result in a defacto ban on use.

A hyper-inflated sense of superiority would amount to the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:08 am 
Local

ri[[3r wrote:

It's called having a strong point, you should try it yourself some times. Then you can feel superior too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:09 am 
Local

Kest wrote:
Seems a lot of people are awfully quick to slam someone with the 'racist!!' remark though, aren't they?

Neko7 wrote:
hurting

Is it?

As a foreigner? Yes it is.
and a comment that link directly the fact to be slow, spiteful with the fact to be foreign, is racist.

You can call it bigotry if you want, it is xenophobic adressed to everyone that is not american (not even so, in fact to anyone who are not US-citizen). And Xenophoby used to talk about people, no matter how much layer Politicly Correct word you put on it, is still racisism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:45 am 
Green Text

That's great.

So, do you believe commenting about it will make them stop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:44 am 
Local

Neko7 wrote:
Kest wrote:

Neko7 wrote:
hurting

Is it?

and a comment that link directly the fact to be slow, spiteful with the fact to be foreign, is racist.

You can call it bigotry if you want, it is xenophobic adressed to everyone that is not american (not even so, in fact to anyone who are not US-citizen). And Xenophoby used to talk about people, no matter how much layer Politicly Correct word you put on it, is still racisism.

Unfortunately, I don't think you know what "racism" and "racist" specifically mean. If it's not about someone's race, it's not racism or racist.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism

No one here knows your "race" (setting aside that "race" is largely superficial and a social construct more than anything), so it's rather hard for any comment directed at you to be "racist".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:03 am 
Local

Neko7 wrote:
Kest wrote:

Neko7 wrote:
hurting

Is it?

Neko, I believe you misinterpreted Kest. Now, I'm a foreigner myself in these forums, and I'm not particularly offended. Kest didn't say that foreigners were slow and spiteful.

He meant that someone that consistently made obvious mistakes in every post had to be either: Slow, because he lacked the ability to learn from said mistakes; spiteful, because he chose to continue making mistakes just to aggravate everyone else; or foreigner, because his poor grasp of the language and not his mental faculties impeded him from either expressing himself correctly or understanding what was going on.

Labrat's comment could either be considered flattery towards Senko ("he could not possibly be spiteful or slow") or his opinion that everyone who is not american is slow and spiteful. Both notions are laughable, and thus there's no reason to be offended by it. I considered it to have been a joke, and didn't take it seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:24 am 
Addict

Not that there isn't plenty of xenophobia in the US these days, augmented by a healthy dose of ethnic bigotry and flagrant racism. I avoid nasty comments about furriners unless it is something blatant and implausible--which applies to pretty much everything Labrat writes--as it encourages the millions of real bigots.

Can I get in trouble for doubting that Labrat has super-powered semen?

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:53 am 
Expatriate

Boss Out of Town wrote:

You have <i>no idea.</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:37 am 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:

Not as long as you take precautions anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:03 pm 
Local

Rakshasa wrote:
ri[[3r wrote:

It's called having a strong point, you should try it yourself some times. Then you can feel superior too.

I was agreeing with your point. Having a hyper-inflated sense of superiority would lead to no research, as in we're so superior we don't need no steenkin research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:30 pm 
Addict

ri[[3r wrote:
Rakshasa wrote:
ri[[3r wrote:

I was agreeing with your point. Having a hyper-inflated sense of superiority would lead to no research, as in we're so superior we don't need no steenkin research.

Annnnndddd that completes our history of the decline and fall of the American auto industry.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next