ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:44 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Kest wrote:
Graybeard wrote:
She lives with Meji's grandfather in the earlier scenes of the story, so what's she doing here?

Err... did she? I know Meji visited him while going to school, but I don't remember him actually living in the same house.

It was during the flash-back scene where Bani was intro'd. However, when Meji left on her quest, the gate she was bitching by wasn't the same one as the flashback. Besides the flashback was, at latest, three solid years before the start of the quest. (In the f-b she was 14, later she told Sarine she was 17).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:28 pm 
Local

Senko wrote:
Sixth yes I do have a memory disability along with other mental problems.

If that's the case, I won't give you any more crap about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:21 am 
Local

Labrat wrote:
An alternate ending might be: Dickgirls... they're nature's Voltron.

"The more you hook together, the better it gets"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:55 am 
Addict

Sounds about right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:47 am 
Green Text

Graybeard wrote:
Kest wrote:
Graybeard wrote:
She lives with Meji's grandfather in the earlier scenes of the story, so what's she doing here?

Err... did she? I know Meji visited him while going to school, but I don't remember him actually living in the same house.

See here. This is the "real big ass, eff'n HOUSE" that impressed Bani so much, and her grandfather lives there -- yet she calls it the place where she lives. Does her mom? Not proven, but here, just a few strips later, Ms. Kenichi says that her mom "left" and will be "back" the next evening following a rejuvenation treatment for "one of her spells."

All of this is in the flashback sequence a few years before the current story time, of course. Possibly Meji's mom moved out in the interim. It seems unlikely, however, as she was still described as not having worked a day in her life when Meji and Professor Yukiri had their little conversation about the senior project.

All puzzling, anyway.

Well if that's what you're going by, I don't believe she lives in the same house anymore:
    1.) That was several years ago.
    2.) It seems reasonable to guess that the big mansion is owned by her grandfather.
    3.) Her mother is envious of her grandfather's servants, which implies they live elsewhere.
    4.) As Meji was packing for her trip in chapter one, there was a panel showing the outside of a large apartment-like structure. Plus, the interior seems smaller, both then and now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:56 am 
Local

Kest wrote:
Well if that's what you're going by, I don't believe she lives in the same house anymore:
    2.) It seems reasonable to guess that the big mansion is owned by her grandfather.
    3.) Her mother is envious of her grandfather's servants, which implies they live elsewhere.
    4.) As Meji was packing for her trip in chapter one, there was a panel showing the outside of a large apartment-like structure. Plus, the interior seems smaller, both then and now.

He would probably want to make sure he had as much influence as possible during the early years, then kicked them both out as early as possible since he probably strongly dislikes his daughters way of living.

Labrat wrote:
Jon should hit her... if only to creep the fuck out of Meji. Of course it probably wouldn't work as he is currently the only reasonable facsimile of a living being left on this planet which she has not yet put out for.

"And before you get any funny ideas... ...you should know I'm a very light sleeper and Ellis has been trained to go after the crotch of anyone who tries to molest me."

That's the arch-typical mating call of scary little devil girls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:35 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Rakshasa wrote:
Kest wrote:

He would probably want to make sure he had as much influence as possible during the early years, then kicked them both out as early as possible since he probably strongly dislikes his daughters way of living.

Labrat wrote:
Jon should hit her... if only to creep the fuck out of Meji. Of course it probably wouldn't work as he is currently the only reasonable facsimile of a living being left on this planet which she has not yet put out for.

"And before you get any funny ideas... ...you should know I'm a very light sleeper and Ellis has been trained to go after the crotch of anyone who tries to molest me."

Jon has traveled with Meji, right? The whole time, Meji was babbeling away about her school project, home-life, and everything. In addition to Ellis'commentary. Jon has a pretty good idea of her mother's character and proclavities. While he does give the local whores his business, they are probably safer than Meji's mom. In addition, he has both his Sister and Meji on the same brotherly pedistal. So, he feels that he has to present a decent image of himself. In many ways, Jon is as moralistic as Ian or maybe moreso, in spite of being a hired gun. Maybe, because of being a hired gun.

I don't think Jon would hit that with anyone's ten-foot pole, let alone his own and certainly not where either Meji or Sara would hear about it.

Besides, I'm betting that, on Monday's strip, she hits full bitch-mode anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:39 am 
Green Text

I hoping that, come Monday, her mother gets an actual name.

:-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:50 am 
Local

Ellis already brought up the idea of jon getting lucky with meji's mom and he shot down the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:31 am 
Expatriate

Like I said I can get them right (normally) if its something I use alot like Sarine or that is fairly close to things I already know like Sara but names like Tsuiraku are a problem for me and sometimes I'll just get a blind spot and even on rechecking not realize I've written the wrong thing like the dad instead of granddad incident.

I don't mind if people just let me know I've gotten the spelling of something wrong normally but when I'm continually getting told "read the wiki, you must be stupid, spiteful or foreign, have you even read the story, i must assume they meant x to protect my sanity and so on" instead of an actual response to what I mentioned or pointing out an error in it like my thinking they still lived with her grandfather I get snippy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:40 am 
Addict

BloodHenge wrote:
Why would you want a personal assistant to open the front door for you?

Ah, a fine, modern middle-class viewpoint.

There are two equally important reasons to have servants: first, to perform labor that you or your household would have to do themselves, and second, to indicate your superior social status. For example, practically speaking, no one should really need more than a dozen servants to do the work of transporting a noble across country, but a duke in 15th Century England could easily travel with several hundred attendants, while an Italian banker of the same period--wealthier by far--would take along a thousand people to travel to a city a few days away. The fancy clothes, the gilded carriage, the silver place settings, and the servants all show off your wealth.

To keep these people busy and make your place in the hierarchy known in every possible way, you assign the servants any minor task that might be seen as taking up your time, inconveinciing you in any way, or show you as performing some service for a guest. Answering the door, pouring the coffee, and answering the phone all would take seconds of your time, but having the housekeeper/butler perform these acts shows publicly that you do not have to expend that time and reminds your guest/caller that you are not his servant in any small way.

For examples, watch any British or American movie or TV show involving servants and set before about 1965. Chances are that if there is one maid, housekeeper, or butler/valet/manservant in the house, answering the phone and the door is understood to be one of his/her jobs.

Meji's mom answering her own door suggests she has fallen a considerable distance in society.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:09 pm 
Addict

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Meji's mom answering her own door suggests she has fallen a considerable distance in society.

I wouldn't be all that quick to go there so soon. Although, it does explain why she was so miffed at having to answer the door. Nanao seriously FUBAR'd her job and is about to get canned, methinks.

However, something you missed, in a house of proper social status the servants were quite happy to answer the door. They took their social status from their employer, along with a certain amount of pride ..."I work for the House of Orange ... who are you?" Generally, the higher their boss' social standing then the higher theirs was, in relative proportion.

A house where the servants were not happy to do these things is indeed a hopelessly fallen house. A House was partially graded on how happy the servants were and it doesn't matter how much money you have or how much of it you pay them. Indeed, you have to both charm your staff as well as pay them. If they like you, then it won't cost you as much.

We don't know the circumstances behind Nanao's absence. If it was willfull or lackadaisical then yes indeed, Meji's mother has fallen a long way. She won't succeed in bringing Ms Kinichi over either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:25 pm 
Local

My take on the situation is that the grandfather is in control of the cashflow, thus he decides what his daughter can have of luxury. It is probably expected that she would require at least one servant, and as a way of 'punishing' his daughter, he only allows her the most useless one they could find. And the servant probably knows it, so no fear of losing her job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:01 pm 
Expatriate

Or it could just be that the servent is off shoping for the week's groceries/hanging out the laundry and Meji's mom is just miffed that she has to answer the door for once. We don't really know although I find it hard to believe granddad would deilberately hire the worst servent around as it would reflect on him somewhat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:09 pm 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:

Ah, a fine, modern middle-class viewpoint.

There are two equally important reasons to have servants: first, to perform labor that you or your household would have to do themselves, and second, to indicate your superior social status. For example, practically speaking, no one should really need more than a dozen servants to do the work of transporting a noble across country, but a duke in 15th Century England could easily travel with several hundred attendants, while an Italian banker of the same period--wealthier by far--would take along a thousand people to travel to a city a few days away. The fancy clothes, the gilded carriage, the silver place settings, and the servants all show off your wealth.

To keep these people busy and make your place in the hierarchy known in every possible way, you assign the servants any minor task that might be seen as taking up your time, inconveinciing you in any way, or show you as performing some service for a guest. Answering the door, pouring the coffee, and answering the phone all would take seconds of your time, but having the housekeeper/butler perform these acts shows publicly that you do not have to expend that time and reminds your guest/caller that you are not his servant in any small way.

For examples, watch any British or American movie or TV show involving servants and set before about 1965. Chances are that if there is one maid, housekeeper, or butler/valet/manservant in the house, answering the phone and the door is understood to be one of his/her jobs.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I was replying to a post in which the assumption was set forth that Ms. Kenichi was grandfather Hinadori's "personal assistant". In this most recent comic, Ms. Hinadori appears to be looking for someone to open the door and implies that, if Ms. Kenichi worked there, she would do so. Presumably, if Ms. Kenichi were to work for Ms. Hinadori, her responsibilities would not change very much, only the place where she performs them. In my understanding, the opening of doors is not generally encompassed within the job description of "personal assistant". Rather, as you mentioned, it tends to be within the purview of the maid or butler. A personal assistant is typically associated with scheduling, paperwork, and business communication. In short, I was questioning the classification of Ms. Kenichi as a "personal assistant", not whether Ms. Hinadori was justified, due to her social station, in expecting someone in her employ to open the front door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:21 am 
Addict

BloodHenge wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:
. . . Meji's mom answering her own door suggests she has fallen a considerable distance in society.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I was replying to a post in which the assumption was set forth that Ms. Kenichi was grandfather Hinadori's "personal assistant". In this most recent comic, Ms. Hinadori appears to be looking for someone to open the door and implies that, if Ms. Kenichi worked there, she would do so. Presumably, if Ms. Kenichi were to work for Ms. Hinadori, her responsibilities would not change very much, only the place where she performs them. In my understanding, the opening of doors is not generally encompassed within the job description of "personal assistant". Rather, as you mentioned, it tends to be within the purview of the maid or butler. A personal assistant is typically associated with scheduling, paperwork, and business communication. In short, I was questioning the classification of Ms. Kenichi as a "personal assistant", not whether Ms. Hinadori was justified, due to her social station, in expecting someone in her employ to open the front door.

Ah, that clarifies things. As a lower middle-class person, myself, I am more used to the satirical version of the PA, in which said person is required to do everythng down to blowing the boss's nose and changing his socks.

Supernatural did a enjoyable movie-set episode that turned to applause for that profession. In the end the hero bursts into a room to blow away a killer ghost with a sawed-off shotgun, at which the scriptwriter proclaims: "You are a great personal assistant!"

:roll: Well, I thought it was funny.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:00 am 
Local

Kest wrote:
I hoping that, come Monday, her mother gets an actual name.

:-P

That's powerful magic you have there -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:45 am 
Addict

Slamlander wrote:
In many ways, Jon is as moralistic as Ian or maybe moreso, in spite of being a hired gun. Maybe, because of being a hired gun.

I believe this page shows jon's morals quite well http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2004-04-05

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:57 am 
Local

Jon's always struck me like brando and the godfather. He have no choice but to take that path in life. He's got his own code, and he sticks to it. D&D wise ver lawful nurtal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:22 am 
n00b

Senko wrote:
Or it could just be that the servent is off shoping for the week's groceries/hanging out the laundry and Meji's mom is just miffed that she has to answer the door for once. We don't really know although I find it hard to believe granddad would deilberately hire the worst servent around as it would reflect on him somewhat.

Yes, that's correct, we don't really know. For all the textual evidence we have, Meji's mum could be totally schizoprhenic, and "Nanoa" is the name she gives the voice that fills the delusional role of servant (and that tells her to start fires). Mum is not so much miffed that she has to open the door herself as she is about the complete lack of respect the doorknob shows her when she reaches out to grasp it (a gentleman rises to great a lady, naturally).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next