ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: A (relatively) brief history of my relationship with comics...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:43 am 
Addict

Right around age 14, I stopped really liking the superhero comics that much (not that I'd been allowed to read too many of them, but I did try to stay aware of the general gist when talking to other superhero comics fans in the special city-wide gifted-kids Saturday morning classes thingy I was enrolled in where I spent about a year or two studying how to make comics every Saturday at the local private university), partly because I realized they weren't protraying a world that I would actually want to live in, with largely superficial resolutions to any given issue, and partly because my attention was suddenly and completely captured by manga.

It was at that age that I discovered manga held a much more sophisticated range of storylines, and I made a permanent and devoted switch to a love of graphic novels (in the literal sense of a novel told graphically, as distinct from comic books). Not only were the brain-candy graphic novels better plotted and more to my taste (more crisply fantasy and sci-fi and romance instead of action), but suddenly there were also things like Nausicaa to read. Ooh, and Elf Quest. I LOVED Elf Quest.

By fifteen, I had formed a sort of mini anime club that met during the lunch break at band camp, and later got together on weekends. Then I got my own internet access and little sister got me hooked on webcomics. Remember Acid Reflux? Man, do I ever miss that comic.

At sixteen, I joined the two local anime clubs that met alternating Friday nights at the University of Cincinnati (my later attendance at said college was only partly because I got into DAAP). My friend Lauren linked me to Exploitation Now at the same age (my friend Jaime had been talking it up for months), and I was instantly smitten. Lauren still teases me that she introduced me to my husband.

By seventeen, I had started my own lame attempt at a webcomic (no, you may not read it, nor may you read my later second attempt at the same comic), and I quickly realized that I would be happier organizing Project CARD (then Keencards) instead. Then I hunted down Poe for the project, winding up joining the forum in my quest, and y'all have been around for the rest.

^-^'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:43 pm 
Addict

Neko7 wrote:
After the Paper-trade book "Civil War" my favorite (and I believe the best of the serie) is the double volume paper-trade "Civil War - Front Line"

What this one have different than any other book for this story?

It describe the story by the eyes of two absolutly normal human journalist, without any single surhuman capacity.

This choice offert the the most innovative and the most immersive approch of the entire Civil War serie.

Except for the final issue with Stupid McStupidBitch chewing out Captain America for not knowing about MySpace and Nascar. It had it up the there, but that lost me. That and the hamfisted war comparisons at the end of every issue.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2