ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:15 am 
Local

Meji graduating at this point would be very Harry Potter IMO.

Let her blow up Tsuiraku. Don't need arbitrary shit like grades when you're internationally renouned as an über-terrorist.

xD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:16 am 
n00b

Zherical wrote:
Let her blow up Tsuiraku. Don't need arbitrary shit like grades when you're internationally renouned as an über-terrorist.

I support this motion.

I got an image in my mind of Meji at age 40. She looks about 22, is constantly chain smoking, and is a one woman destruction crew - Destruction of people, places, governments, etc. Jon and Sara are in old fogey badass stage by now, with Sarine being... exactly the same, while the group has dispersed until horrid fanfic brings them together for Errant Story 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:48 am 
Addict

There already is an ES2.

It's just not ready yet.

^-^'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:10 am 
Expatriate

Vavrek wrote:
Zherical wrote:

Jon and Sara are in old fogey badass stage by now.

Running an organization comprised of the shattered remnants of the order and wraiths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:11 am 
Expatriate

Imp-Chan wrote:
There already is an ES2.

It's just not ready yet.

^-^'

You vile vile people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:12 am 
Green Text

GWhite wrote:
Vavrek wrote:
Zherical wrote:

Jon and Sara are in old fogey badass stage by now.

Running an organization comprised of the shattered remnants of the order and wraiths.

time bullets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:37 pm 
Ignore Me

OK, but the problem is panel three here. It's very likely that Meji's grandfather knows that he won't pass her. Either that, or he heard through the grapevine that her final project plan didn't go so well.

Either way, I am assuming that he made an educated guess as to what her grade will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:49 pm 
Local

You know, Meji's grandparent is a councilman, he's got a city to keep afloat. And he didn't strike me as a very affectionate sort of grandparent. If he had shown enough of an interest in Meji's education to know that she needs an A and that her teacher is renowned for never giving them, then Meji wouldn't be in the position of needing an A in the first place 'cause her grandfather would have started pressing her when her grades began to fall.

Particularly since now that they don't live in his house, Meji must have a lot more independence. Grandpa probably pressured her mother into sending her to school at a human age for entering, but didn't keep up with the micromanagement you think he kept up. Besides, why would he be calling in the middle of the day, when he'd have work to do, instead of in the evening? I'd say it has more to do with the elf that arrived in town earlier.

EDIT- He probably called to let her know he wouldn't look as kindly on her sleeping with this one =P Not that we would complain about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:56 pm 
Local

It just struck me... Meji's granddad is a councilman... Rarune was a visiting foreign dignitary... might Miyo have been part of the ambassador's, er... "welcome package"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:14 pm 
Expatriate

And he's calling again to say "Miyo that elf's back in town I need you to welcome him like you did last time."?

Incidently I've been unable to shake the feeling since the last post Rarune (if he's still the ambassador) will surprise us all by giving up his life to hold off the elven strike force long enough for his daughter to escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:25 pm 
Local

I'd be disappointed if Poe pulled that kind of a cliché...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:45 pm 
Addict

Yeah, I'm thinking it will be the pretend-to-love-you-but-am-really-waiting-to-kill-you kind of cliche.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:47 pm 
Local

Rakshasa wrote:
I'd be disappointed if Poe pulled that kind of a cliché...

Personally, I don't see it. For reason of every single elf with the slightest incination to sacrifice their life in defense of their half-elven offspring would by this point already have been given a slew of chances to do so. Hell, we're looking at the population of the elves without any such inclination.

But where have you seen that sort of thing before? I can't think of one myself. Unless you mean cliché as in 'all noble sacrifices are clichéd'...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:24 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Well, it's definitely the sort of cliche that's popular in Japanese storylines. The "nobel sacrifice" is certainly a well overused plotline in many Japanese folk tales and Poe is well-versed in Japanese anamae.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:24 pm 
Local

Actually, the elves that, like Sarine, fought in the errant side (at least at the beggining), were in fact ready to make the sacrifice. Some did, some survived. And the rangers are proof that some elves choose to get away from their kind because of such differences.

Ambassadors are also people that leave their countries for streches of time. Though it's weird that here the ambassador visits, as opposed to live there. Still, it might not be out of the question that Rarune might have been pro-errant during the war. It would explain why he was willing to sleep with Miyo in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:42 pm 
Local

Kian wrote:
Actually, the elves that, like Sarine, fought in the errant side (at least at the beggining), were in fact ready to make the sacrifice. Some did, some survived. And the rangers are proof that some elves choose to get away from their kind because of such differences.

Ambassadors are also people that leave their countries for streches of time. Though it's weird that here the ambassador visits, as opposed to live there. Still, it might not be out of the question that Rarune might have been pro-errant during the war. It would explain why he was willing to sleep with Miyo in the first place.

If an elf was given to making sucidal gestures over something like this, they'd be dead at this point due to a wealth of oppurtunities to do just that. It's the pragmatic dissidents that are hanging around now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:50 pm 
Local

Kian wrote:
Ambassadors are also people that leave their countries for streches of time. Though it's weird that here the ambassador visits, as opposed to live there.

Not necessarily. In addition to the obvious ambassadors from country X to country Y, there are ambassadors who represent country X on some particular, limited interaction with country Y, and spend most of their time at home in X unless something unusual comes up. (I used to work supporting some of these missions, although several ply down the ladder from the ambassador.) There are also situations where country Y is so podunk (from the country X point of view) as not to justify a full-time ambassador.

Actually, "podunk" isn't really the right term, although it may apply here; "irrelevant" is more like it. To pick a real-world example with some resemblances to elvendom, Iceland (by all accounts a highly civilized country, but one with a small population that must choose where to invest its political resources) only has about 20 permanent ambassadors to countries. If something comes up requiring Icelandic diplomacy with, say, Costa Rica, another country with a limited diplomatic corps, they deal with it as they need to.

I agree that it's odd that the elves wouldn't have a regular embassy in the one country in the Poe-verse that could realistically threaten them if it became hostile. OTOH, we know that the elven population base is small, and you gotta have priorities. Just because the known Poe-verse consists of only five or six countries doesn't mean that that's all there are. There may be a billion-strong People's Republic of Ogria on the far side of the world that the elves watch carefully, but since we'll never see ogres in this story (maybe...), the elven presence there would go unremarked in the story.

Back on Miyo, whoever speculated on her as part of the "welcome basket" for Ambassador Rarune may have been close to the truth. Everybody here knows what a "honey trap" is, right?...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:56 pm 
Addict

Slamlander wrote:
Well, it's definitely the sort of cliche that's popular in Japanese storylines. The "nobel sacrifice" is certainly a well overused plotline in many Japanese folk tales and Poe is well-versed in Japanese anamae.

:-o Sorry, that last word threw me a bit. Is it an alternate spelling of a plural of "anime" or a misspelling of a plural of "enema"?

Not that I'd be passing judgment on Poe or anything . . . :roll:

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:02 pm 
Local

Quote:
If an elf was given to making sucidal gestures over something like this, they'd be dead at this point due to a wealth of oppurtunities to do just that. It's the pragmatic dissidents that are hanging around now.

Hard to say. They've been hidden away for most of human history in the Poeverse, and only recently reapeared. Opportunities for conflict, for someone staying in the city after the war, would have been scarce. Besides, it would be for his child, one that hasn't shown signs of errancy yet, not for just any errant.

Sarine's concern for Meji (and, from what the young elf told us, with most 'healthy' half-elves) comes close to deadly if the wrong people found out. She's not kept it a secret either, since at least one other elf knows. She's been out in the world risking her life with every errant she forgives. Imagine if another ranger found one of the half elves Sarine allowed to live?

Sarine is still alive and kicking. A noble that stayed hidden away in the city could have similar sensibilities and stay alive as well. He simply could have managed to avoid being in dangerous positions. But thrust into a situation like this unawares, he might try to protect Meji and get killed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:25 pm 
Local

Imp-Chan wrote:
There already is an ES2.

It's just not ready yet.

^-^'

From what little you guys have let slip, I'd guess it deals with the ramifications of Anita's general success in her current projects.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next