ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:08 pm 
Addict

I'm pretty sure that was a joke. But ES has gone on for awhile. I'm sure Poe is ready to start with some new characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:27 pm 
Local

IIRC we have only recently gotten over 1/2 way.

This story has some fight in it left :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:15 pm 
Local

After all this talk of whether Misa or Bani are going to show up, I'd really like to see both of them end up joining the party. Our two mainest of main characters (Sarine and Meji, being the first two introduced) both get to bring along their sidekicks. Jon's got his Sara now, and Ian is, as I foresee it, going to turn out to be the villain. So two Elves, two Tsuirakuan mages, and two badass Farrellian assassins of assorted flavors come together to save the world from the emo kid with the nuclear football (so to speak).

It strikes me that there are an awful lot of female characters in this story. Of our main party for the foreseeable future (unless they manage to get Ian back on their team), Jon is the only male main character around. Ordinarily that'd be pretty awesome, but when the three women you're stuck with are a 3,000 year old condescending Elf bitch, a spoiled pedobait brat who likes to blow up things which annoy her, and crazy brainwashed zombie sister of slicey death... yeah. I'm not envying Jon a lot right now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:37 pm 
Local

Sara is very much Sarine's sidekick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:50 pm 
Local

I can see Sara being pulled in two different directions by Sarine and Jon. Already they're doing the "Don't listen to your mother/father, I'm really in charge" thing with her. If she wasn't so disinterested, it might cause a bit of tension between those two.

And Jon is very much Meji's sidekick. All he's really been doing is following her around when he gets the chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:25 pm 
Local

Rubber Band Man wrote:
I can see Sara being pulled in two different directions by Sarine and Jon. Already they're doing the "Don't listen to your mother/father, I'm really in charge" thing with her. If she wasn't so disinterested, it might cause a bit of tension between those two.

Actually, Jon's just been telling her to do whatever she wants. Hasn't tried to assert any authority over her.

Quote:
And Jon is very much Meji's sidekick. All he's really been doing is following her around when he gets the chance.

On this I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:14 pm 
Tourist

Thing I took from this was that it was important to Sarine to protect Meiji. You could argue that this is purely because Meiji is a link to Ian, but it does seem that Sarine is more simply being protective - fully aware of what an elven ambassador to the city is likely to mean to Meiji.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:49 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
icekatze wrote:
hi hi

Quote:
Yup. This is the last chapter and Poe's taking up a new story, based on his experiences fighting vampires in Iraq during the First Gulf War.

I dont think the climax of the story is going to happen quite yet, there's still a lot of conflicts left to be resolved.

Not by a long-shot. We already know this. :-3

icekatze wrote:
But from Jon's perspective, I wonder just how much more he's going to take. He had said earlier that he wanted Sara to have a life that didnt involve killing and all that kind of thing, and I imagine it'll be Sara that keeps him going now since she's still tied to a cabal of ultra deadly time assassins.

He's given up on that already and trying to figure out what to do next. In the mean time, Sarine seems to have taken Sara under her wing and Jon seems to be okay with that for now. He is also quite satisfied that Sara is old enough to make up her own mind. What happens next, between Jon and Sara, is going to unfold very slowly and we should all have patience with that. Neither of them are the most talkitive bunch. Jon sort of reminds me of Clint Eastwood in Fist Full of Dollars and never says more than he has to and Sara could make a clam look like a chatterbox.

icekatze wrote:
If Misa is part of the honor guard, perhaps she will be able to convince the delegation to let her go after Sarine by herself...one can only hope.

Sarine is operating "in the cold" as a rogue**. The other Elves haven't picked up on this yet. However, neither is she without political weight of her own. Depending on how this falls out, she might just get away with it. It's also becoming more clear that Sarine is in the "not all half-elves are Errants" minority that only kills proven Errants. She is not sure that she could get anyone else through this with her and she may not even be able to save herself, why she refuses to include Misa in this adventure.

That said, if Misa is in the ambassador'sparty, she may just defect and not give Sarine an option.

**Note that Jon doesn't know this either. Sarine is playing a very closed hand here. It's going to be interesting to see when he finds out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:07 pm 
Expatriate

Slamlander wrote:
That said, if Misa is in the ambassador'sparty, she may just defect and not give Sarine an option.

I disagree there. Sure, Misa seemed to be a good friend, but she was just as eager to keep out of Sarine's business as Sarine was reluctant to include her.

Most people in the real world don't want to take up arms to overthrow some government plot. If you ask most Americans today, a great percentage will tell you that the Government is doing some covert, heinous crap. But almost all those people don't want glory and some place in history, they just want to live a quiet, happy life.

I suspect the same thing with Misa. She wouldn't lift a finger to harm Sarine, might even help her escape in a minor-yet-crucial way, but she won't straight defect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:29 pm 
Addict

Kian wrote:
Rubber Band Man wrote:

Actually, Jon's just been telling her to do whatever she wants. Hasn't tried to assert any authority over her.

Quote:

On this I agree.

Don't tell Jon that. Sarine was the one who joined HIS expedition when he first traveled with Meji. He signed up for this job because . . . either Sarine paid him cash, or she convinced him that Meji was in danger, or she convinced him that a possible apocalypse was brewing. Most likely all three, plus his being on the run from the Ensirgim and the Gewehr.

On the other hand, Gandalf winds up leading any party he's in because he knows more and understands more and because he's the only one powerful enough to go one on one with a balrog, if needed. Sarine's the quarterback on this team. John seems to accept that.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:36 pm 
Expatriate

He definitely does accept it; in fact, Jon and Sarine are the only characters acutely aware of the group "family" dynamic going on amongst the major characters, or at least have faith (re: co-operation) in it. Seeing the cast slowly develop into that matrix is one of the many reasons I so enjoy ES.

Sarine's overcoat is still damn sexy though. I mean damn. If anyone wants to make one or bug somebody at http://www.abbyshot.com into maybe laying out a prototype, I'd pay top dollar for one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:19 pm 
Addict

If you really want one, and are serious about being willing to pay top dollar for one, I suggest you contact <a href="http://www.harmanhay.co.uk/"> this lovely lady.</a> If anyone could do that coat justice, she could, and I think we'd even give her full permission to do so, free of charge provided we got to see photos of the finished piece. She'd definitely only ever make one of them, after all, and it would be unquestionably spectacular.

As for the place you linked... I'm sorry to say, I don't much like their attitude. http://www.abbyshot.com/faq.php#iplaw It seems to me that they're very much into skirting the letter of the law, while being completely uninterested in the spirit. I'd feel more than a mite unhappy if I found out they were producing Poe's designs for sale without us making anything from it. It's one thing for a fan to copy the design for personal use (cosplay is fine), it's quite another for a company to deliberately set out to exploit the law to steal that design for a profit. In fact, I'd appreciate it if you avoided even showing them the coat, or anything else of Poe's, since lawyers are expensive and I'd hate to have to pay one to tell me how to fight someone over licensing, when that someone has clearly already found the loopholes they intend to exploit to rip off the creators.

-_-'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:18 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Imp-Chan wrote:
If you really want one, and are serious about being willing to pay top dollar for one, I suggest you contact <a href="http://www.harmanhay.co.uk/"> this lovely lady.</a> If anyone could do that coat justice, she could, and I think we'd even give her full permission to do so, free of charge provided we got to see photos of the finished piece. She'd definitely only ever make one of them, after all, and it would be unquestionably spectacular.

As for the place you linked... I'm sorry to say, I don't much like their attitude. http://www.abbyshot.com/faq.php#iplaw It seems to me that they're very much into skirting the letter of the law, while being completely uninterested in the spirit. I'd feel more than a mite unhappy if I found out they were producing Poe's designs for sale without us making anything from it. It's one thing for a fan to copy the design for personal use (cosplay is fine), it's quite another for a company to deliberately set out to exploit the law to steal that design for a profit. In fact, I'd appreciate it if you avoided even showing them the coat, or anything else of Poe's, since lawyers are expensive and I'd hate to have to pay one to tell me how to fight someone over licensing, when that someone has clearly already found the loopholes they intend to exploit to rip off the creators.

-_-'

Thanks for that and I agree. It is best not to show them your work. Interestingly, that same argument has been used to publish some really hienous Star Trek fanfic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:46 pm 
Expatriate

Oh nonono, I'd never presume on something like that. I know too much about lawyers to risk getting anyone short of my worst enemies involved with them.

Last time I talked to anyone at AS was when I bought a Lobby Reloaded trench from them last year - very nice garment, but mediocre customer service. AbbyShot was the only real (Canadian) clothier place I knew of that would even entertain making something like that, so I definitely do appreciate that link you gave, Hilary. I never cease in dreaming up cool things to wear and someday it could even come true. :)

If that coat ever gets close to reality though, I'd have to talk it through with you and Poe before anything else happened; I'd like that coat to be what YOU envision it to actually be, as it's held and beheld in your hands, and not this fan's half-assed interpretation of what it could've been.

Just wanted to set that straight. Donations forthcoming pending PayPal's draconian wait times for Canadian Banks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2