ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 29/06/07 "He probably really does have a damned honor guard"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:47 am 
Addict

This bodes ill for our intrepid team.

Love Jon's suggestion - lets just kill him

Be interesting to see how this goes down- it would take a huge stroke of luck for them to get out of there before the ambassador shows up (based on the Law of Conservation of plotpoints which may or may not apply) especially if they want to take Meji with them. Even if she does go with them, she probably won't lead them to the half-elves(on the one hand she does not want to hand the half elves to a hunter, on the other, odds are good that the half elves would turn Sarine into elf cutlet- toss up as to which way Meji will go)

Post subject: Re: 29/06/07 "He probably really does have a damned honor guard"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:07 am 
Tourist

Chaz wrote:

I'll have to admit, I'm rather wondering why they're so afraid of an honor guard, I mean, if grandad's on the High Council and a bunch of elven warriors just pop on over to his house and start blowing things up, that sort of thing seems likely to cause an incident.

Granted, Meji may well want to hang out at Etsuko's place for a while, or maybe just grab a room over the police station, but I'd think Tsurakushiti is one of the safest places she could be. (Hint: city full of mages. This is not Saus)

Post subject: Re: 29/06/07 "He probably really does have a damned honor guard"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:18 am 
Local

wrog wrote:
Chaz wrote:

I'll have to admit, I'm rather wondering why they're so afraid of an honor guard, I mean, if grandad's on the High Council and a bunch of elven warriors just pop on over to his house and start blowing things up, that sort of thing seems likely to cause an incident.

It's not entirely beyond reason, though; and with the level of firepower available between a bunch of Elves and a bunch of mages... maybe Tsuirakushiti's about to live up to it's name... [hint for the slow: read the wiki]

If it's not the end of the plot (which I'm sure it's not), it could make a rather anticlimactic end to my favorite place in the Poeverse; but it would move things along quite well and be a great tragedy pushing the main characters on to the real climax, ala (though it was a horrible movie, it's the first example that comes to mind) Trinity's death in Matrix Revolutions.

Perhaps another alternative, the battle could bring the city down, but then Ian could show up to catch it. Where things would go from there, though... I don't know. It starts looking like a bit of a Superman Problem, but Poe's had a character with literally godlike powers floating around his world for a while now and I'm still impressed with his restrained use of such a character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:54 am 
Expatriate

I wonder if Misa will be a part of the honor guard?
Or perhaps other current/former Viradior that Sarine might know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:00 am 
Local

Gee, I was rather hoping for that. Sarine would have an unexpected ally, but hopefully she would recognize her first this time.

DEATH: HE IS AN OLD FRIEND. YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:52 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
First, I love Sarine's silohuette in the last panel. :-o :drool:

Jon has a good suggestion but Sarine's right, the Ambassador is likely to be too heavily guarded, Elves plus the Tsuirakuan Battle Mage guards (which Sarine didn't mention). Not a realistic option.

Heading to Santauriel is the next logical move to try and trace what happened to Ian. The open question is how they do that. At this point, Meji will have to guide them. Note that she still has to finish her project and this is along the road to it. Meji has plenty of motive to do so.

It would be funny if Misa were the real advanced guard and gets co-opted by Sarine, just as Sarine's party leaves. Also note that Sarine used her real full name, with the Tsuirakuans, she has no way to hide from the Elven Council now.

Yes, I agree. Poe is handeling the Superman Problem very well.

wrog wrote:
I'd think Tsurakushiti is one of the safest places she could be. (Hint: city full of mages. This is not Saus)

I tend to agree but it does not further the plot and does not complete Meji's project, such as it is. Meji only has a month left to completel it. Meji will join the party, methinks. It's her best chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:20 am 
Local

Interesting how Sarine is starting to cut in Jon to what she's planning, but is neglecting Sara, whos in just as deep as them.

More so since Sara seems to be able to kill people and get away from it very fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:34 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Rubber Band Man wrote:
Interesting how Sarine is starting to cut in Jon to what she's planning, but is neglecting Sara, whos in just as deep as them.

More so since Sara seems to be able to kill people and get away from it very fast.

Jon has already proven his strategic/tactical skills, which the Wraiths are generally very good at. Sara has yet to do that and Sarine doesn't trust Sara's Ensigerum tactical training, which has already been proven to be faulty. Knowing what we know about Anita, Ensigerum aren't real strong on strategy either and Sarine, at least, suspects that. Nah, planning is Sarine and Jon's forte and Sarine sets the goals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:53 am 
Local

Hmm, interesting. Jon seems to have cooled down ever since they joined up with Sara. He has actually complimented Sarine's lie when they first arrived, instead of offering some snide remark about how she doesn't let him in on her plans. I'm guessing he doesn't want to appear whiny in front of Sara =P (or he's taken the Amraphel 2.0 replacement comment to heart)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:59 am 
Native

Slamlander wrote:

Yeah, while panel two on the other hand makes her suddenly look like an old woman (though that might just be this new monitor).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:20 am 
Local

Yorik wrote:
Slamlander wrote:

Yeah, while panel two on the other hand makes her suddenly look like an old woman (though that might just be this new monitor).

This are serious elf. She looks fine to me, maybe you need to hit your monitor with a sledgehammer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:09 am 
Local

Rubber Band Man wrote:

But only in Veracia. The distinction is important. In Veracia and Farrel, the odd bit of death via magical violence just sort of goes unnoticed. The concept of "wrongful death" doesn't seem to exist there, or if it does, it doesn't evoke much of a reaction unless perpetrated against somebody important (and not always even then). In Tsuiraku, by contrast, we have known since very early in the story that the citizenry is intolerant of wrongful death, to the point of siccing lawyers on the perps. If a culture is sufficiently advanced (or decayed, depending on your perspective...) to have lawyers involved in the aftermath of deaths, it'll almost certainly be advanced enough to investigate those deaths very carefully. Maybe Sara and the other Ensigerum time ninjas can "get away from it very fast," but a dogged, magically-assisted investigation will eventually track them down. Similar questions exist with the elves: wading into Veracia with a military death squad may not attract much attention until the city starts to burn down, but it ain't gonna be that way in Tsuiraku.

This, by the way, is teeing up an interesting plot question related to an earlier Forum thread. The elves have a pretty extensive intelligence-gathering network in Veracia and Farrel, between the rangers and oddballs like the late Melrin. It's not clear that they have anything comparable in Tsuiraku -- rangers and others who conceal themselves via illusion are likely to be detected (Bani's fashion statement notwithstanding), and the ambassador and his pals are only around every 20 years or so. So do they know that there are big cultural differences between Tsuiraku and the non-magical barbarians in the cultures where they do have spies? One of the surest paths to catastrophe in war is failure to understand one's enemy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:21 am 
n00b

We also know from panel 2 of http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2002-12-18 that time magic isn't exactly legal in Tsuiraku. Of course, Sarine and Jon don't know that, but if Sara starts with the goes really fast, this is a place where she is likely to get spotted.

Mind you, from Sara's comments when they arrived, Sara at least probably does know this. Which is fun, because Sara is probably the most objective sourse of accurate information about Tsuiraku the group has. Meji isn't objective at all, plus won't understand the value of the things she does know about her home city, and the other two know nothing about the place, being concentrated on Farrel and Veracia for the most part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:27 am 
Native

ri[[3r wrote:
Yorik wrote:
Slamlander wrote:

This are serious elf. She looks fine to me, maybe you need to hit your monitor with a sledgehammer?

At this point I am considering a shotgun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:50 pm 
Tourist

hi hi

Ian: "So, with no further leads on 'the other halfelf,' all that's left is to lay low for a while and then live happily ever after right?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:15 pm 
Addict

icekatze wrote:
hi hi

Ian: "So, with no further leads on 'the other halfelf,' all that's left is to lay low for a while and then live happily ever after right?"

Yup. This is the last chapter and Poe's taking up a new story, based on his experiences fighting vampires in Iraq during the First Gulf War.

No, waitaminute, that was the guy from V.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:23 pm 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
icekatze wrote:
hi hi

Yup. This is the last chapter and Poe's taking up a new story, based on his experiences fighting vampires in Iraq during the First Gulf War.

No, waitaminute, that was the guy from V.

Are we talking the retreat from goram Serenity Valley here? Cause it's near U-day, and I've a bone or two to pick in an Alliance bar ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:28 pm 
Addict

I think Bani might show up in the strips mostly because she is an old friend of meji's who lives on her own, is a non-descript person, and just got back in town recently. I wouldn't put money on it though. Misa being a part of the honor guard imo has a high chance of happening, mostly because of the talk between her and sarine about wanting to see outside. Will she help the group? That is harder to say, mostly because of Sarine not wanting to drag her into all this. I also think we might see some rangers pop up with the honor guard. And Graybeard, we don't know the use of time magic is banned just the research into it.

edit: Also why has no one else noticed they are walking around the house while they talk? Don't you think this is a bad way of keeping an eye on the person you said you just wanted to grab before anyone else did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:29 pm 
Local

It struck me that this page is a pretty good one for coming into the comic cold. It establishes the 'level' of the action (high crimes and misdemenors), introduces two obviously competant protagonists with a good working relationship, what they consider 'in the course of their duties' (grassing an ambassador lest he get in their way), the background events (emergent godling), and the immediate goal (get the hell out of Dodge, lest we die.).

As for how it'll go down- if Misa is involved, it'll be as a case-study in tragedy. I can only see her finally understanding that this isn't a game when she gets caught in the all too real consequences and crossfire. For instance, if she manages to internalize that her special friend really might kill the ambassador, no foolings, she may just snap back to reality half-way through and Jon's going to have to blow her head off or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:56 pm 
Tourist

hi hi

Quote:

I dont think the climax of the story is going to happen quite yet, there's still a lot of conflicts left to be resolved. But from Jon's perspective, I wonder just how much more he's going to take. He had said earlier that he wanted Sara to have a life that didnt involve killing and all that kind of thing, and I imagine it'll be Sara that keeps him going now since she's still tied to a cabal of ultra deadly time assassins.

If Misa is part of the honor guard, perhaps she will be able to convince the delegation to let her go after Sarine by herself...one can only hope.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next