ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:35 am 
Tourist

hi hi

I've known close friends to start speaking similarly after a while, to the point of being able to finish eachother's sentences. They do make a good team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:54 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
As Sarine and Jon work together more, she loses more of her contempt and he loses more of his edge. It's normal. The dialog works, as is.

Part of the reason that couples start sounding as one is that there is a lot less extraeneous crap and loose noise between them. It is this same crap that signposts personality traits for us. Without those signposts, a lot of the surface color goes away and they start to look and sound the same, when dealing with each other.

I haven't really found Sarine to be contempuous.. unless you mean she speaks with contempt to Jon. I think she's more.. glazed over, if anything, rather than someone who outwardly expresses contempt.

Hmm.. maybe I just haven't noticed. Cite something if you want slammy.

@personality signposts: A new one was revealed to me in a friend of 7 years.. fuck I wish I had seen it earlier. My mate is a whiny little bitch underneath the fratboy xD

Ahh.. good times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:24 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Zherical wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
As Sarine and Jon work together more, she loses more of her contempt and he loses more of his edge. It's normal. The dialog works, as is.

Part of the reason that couples start sounding as one is that there is a lot less extraeneous crap and loose noise between them. It is this same crap that signposts personality traits for us. Without those signposts, a lot of the surface color goes away and they start to look and sound the same, when dealing with each other.

I haven't really found Sarine to be contempuous.. unless you mean she speaks with contempt to Jon. I think she's more.. glazed over, if anything, rather than someone who outwardly expresses contempt.

Hmm.. maybe I just haven't noticed. Cite something if you want slammy.

@personality signposts: A new one was revealed to me in a friend of 7 years.. fuck I wish I had seen it earlier. My mate is a whiny little bitch underneath the fratboy xD

Ahh.. good times.

That's what I was talking about. Sarine's spending less on the Jon putdowns and more on basic business. In turn, Jon's spending less effort in side-swipes at Sarine, and more on business. In short, they're acting more professional with each other and as they do so, communication gets more efficient and there are fewer personality markers. After all, personality markers are all irrelevent when it gets down to business, aren't they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:27 pm 
Local

To be fair, for a while, Jon earned contempt by being intentionally dense and ignorant whenever Sarine started to answer a question in more detail than one sentence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:10 pm 
Addict

Yeah but then again, elven sex mind wipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:16 pm 
Ignore Me

I got a question: What if it was Rarune's intention to have a child result of the... ah... "union"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:29 am 
Addict

PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
I got a question: What if it was Rarune's intention to have a child result of the... ah... "union"?

Doubtful, but an interesting question. Did Miyo deliberately botch her contraception spell, perhaps out of some foolish fantasy about having an Elvish lover and somehow attaining Elvish immortality? Far more likely.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:15 am 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:

Doubtful, but an interesting question. Did Miyo deliberately botch her contraception spell, perhaps out of some foolish fantasy about having an Elvish lover and somehow attaining Elvish immortality? Far more likely.

Well.. it might just work yet.

She's in a position where's it's simply too difficult to silence her, or Meji. At least within Tsuirakushiti, I mean. If nothing else, Meji will have a kind of faux pas diplomatic immunity so long as she's on that floating island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:02 am 
Local

Zherical wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:

She's in a position where's it's simply too difficult to silence her, or Meji. At least within Tsuirakushiti, I mean. If nothing else, Meji will have a kind of faux pas diplomatic immunity so long as she's on that floating island.

"faux pas diplomatic immunity" ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:32 am 
Local

"De facto" may be a more appropriate wording, but I believe the situation did result from a faux pas. I'm still trying to wrap my head around diplomatic immunity while in your own country. (Maybe, in this case, it means "immunity from diplomats"?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:30 pm 
Local

BloodHenge wrote:
faux pas.

That mean "wrong foot", and that's use when you do something or go somewhere that result as a failure usualy with concequence.

The only way where saying "faux pas diplomatic immunity" could make some sens is when a diplomate make a importante mistake/wrong action and the only reason why he is not arrested/judge/executed is because of the diplomatic immunity.;

(For exemple one diplomat drunk crash his car on two kids, 7 or 9 years ago, and because his "diplomatic immunity" he couldn't be arrested, that would be one occassion where saying "faux pas diplomatic immunity" could make some sense, even if this is not an expression)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:13 pm 
Local

Neko7 wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:
faux pas.

That mean "wrong foot", and that's use when you do something or go somewhere that result as a failure usualy with concequence.

The only way where saying "faux pas diplomatic immunity" could make some sens is when a diplomate make a importante mistake/wrong action and the only reason why he is not arrested/judge/executed is because of the diplomatic immunity.;

(For exemple one diplomat drunk crash his car on two kids, 7 or 9 years ago, and because his "diplomatic immunity" he couldn't be arrested, that would be one occassion where saying "faux pas diplomatic immunity" could make some sense, even if this is not an expression)

Umm... I'm not really sure why you singled out my use of the phrase. Are you agreeing with me, or arguing with Zherical, or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:30 pm 
Local

No, I'm "talking out loud" (I have a doubt on the sentence) trying to make sens of what I read, specialy in this case on the part that -on my eye- make no sense.

faux pas diplomatic immunity is made of two part:

diplomatic immunity , that we all understand

and

faux pas , that is a french expression that mean, like I said, "wrong foot", and that's use when you do something or go somewhere that result as a failure usualy with concequence.

Base on those two part, I can't see where a "faux pas diplomatic immunity" could be apply for Meji.

So etheir I have to assum that you use "faux pas diplomatic immunity" as a distorded interpretation of an obscur expression that make some sens in your interpretation, but no at all from a direct reading

(That happen a lot between french and english language in both direction, think about those shop named "Cafe" that mean a restaurant with a certain style/standing in the eastern part of the US, where they mean Coffee shop/bar where you can by basic sandwich & salad in France, or the infamouss Cédé-rom in french, such word have no meaning to exist in french if not from the fact that those accademic morron were to lasy to find something else, and too snob to use the english word CD-Rom)

or I assum that you said something completly wrong, since the only interpretation that I could make is the one describe in my precedent post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:41 pm 
Addict

Killjoy wrote:
Zherical wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:

Hmmm . . . I'd be careful about applying any of our cultural standards concerning diplomats to this situation. We've already been told that previous Elvish ambassadors had no guards, and what I've read indicates that Rarune might be expected to arrive without staff or servants. That isn't an ambassador, that's a tourist. A day-tripper, at that. If he only turns up every twenty years, and no Elf has visited Tsuriako in the meantime, there may not even be a written protocol in force here. Certainly, no "gentleman's agreement" betweeen the two countries would include any mention of half-elves. Legally, I would guess that they don't officially exist in Elvish diplomacy.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:42 pm 
Addict

Killjoy wrote:
Zherical wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:

Hmmm . . . I'd be careful about applying any of our cultural standards concerning diplomats to this situation. We've already been told that previous Elvish ambassadors had no guards, and what I've read indicates that Rarune might be expected to arrive without staff or servants. That isn't an ambassador, that's a tourist. A day-tripper, at that. If he only turns up every twenty years, and no Elf has visited Tsuriako in the meantime, there may not even be a written protocol in force here. Certainly, no "gentleman's agreement" betweeen the two countries would include any mention of half-elves. Legally, I would guess that they don't officially exist in Elvish diplomacy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:07 pm 
Local

Neko7 wrote:
or I assum that you said something completly wrong, since the only interpretation that I could make is the one describe in my precedent post.

I was wondering why you quoted me, when I wasn't the one who created the phrase "faux pas diplomatic immunity". Like you, I wanted to know what the phrase, as a whole, meant. I also wanted to know how Meji could have diplomatic immunity in the city where she was born.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:54 am 
Local

Zherical wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:

I think the phrase you want is "de facto diplomatic immunity". A diplomatic faux pas ("wrong step" which is different to "wrong foot") is something entirely different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:29 am 
Ignore Me

Boss Out of Town wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:

...Yeah... I don't think Miyo is that stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:28 am 
Local

PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:

Not even when she's drunk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:33 am 
Ignore Me

BloodHenge wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:

Not even when she's drunk?

It actually seems more likely now (to me) that she wasn't drunk.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2