ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:10 am 
Addict

PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
I have gamed regularly for a quarter century with a group of five men with views all across the political spectrum. We have avoided discussing politics for a decade because "flame wars" can now spoil any social occasion, not just Internet forum.

Then please don't try and get the last word. Just walk away.

. . . and THAT is exactly why the bullies, blowhards, and thugs run American politics and dominate the national media. The larger share of the populace, and far too many politicians and editors, kept walking away, backing down, and giving in when the bullies yelled at them. That leaves the bullies in charge of everything.

Tom Delay, the former majority leader in the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, always enjoyed dirty, loud, partisan smear politics. When an interviewers pointed out to him that his obnoxious behavior was souring people on politics and voting, he said that was in his favor. Delay's right-wing supporters would always turn out for him. The more moderates who failed to turn up at the polls, the more important his faction became. A win-win situation, as far as he was concerned.

All I'm saying is that there are places where political discussion goes. The ES forum is not a place for it. Bar Stool Rules is generally how I view most forums should be, with special sections set aside for politics and religion, possibly even with separate posting names (so it doesn't carry over to the other forums).

That said, there should almost ALWAYS, IMO, be a political (or at least a debate) forum when you get a lot of intelligent people together.

Oh, can't disagree with that. As part of my campaign platform for moderator etc. . . .

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:19 am 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Oh, can't disagree with that. As part of my campaign platform for moderator etc. . . .

You might be losing to Mr. "I choose not to vote for a moderator."... You really need to intensify your campaign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:37 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
I have gamed regularly for a quarter century with a group of five men with views all across the political spectrum. We have avoided discussing politics for a decade because "flame wars" can now spoil any social occasion, not just Internet forum.

Then please don't try and get the last word. Just walk away.

. . . and THAT is exactly why the bullies, blowhards, and thugs run American politics and dominate the national media. The larger share of the populace, and far too many politicians and editors, kept walking away, backing down, and giving in when the bullies yelled at them. That leaves the bullies in charge of everything.

Tom Delay, the former majority leader in the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, always enjoyed dirty, loud, partisan smear politics. When an interviewers pointed out to him that his obnoxious behavior was souring people on politics and voting, he said that was in his favor. Delay's right-wing supporters would always turn out for him. The more moderates who failed to turn up at the polls, the more important his faction became. A win-win situation, as far as he was concerned.

All I'm saying is that there are places where political discussion goes. The ES forum is not a place for it. Bar Stool Rules is generally how I view most forums should be, with special sections set aside for politics and religion, possibly even with separate posting names (so it doesn't carry over to the other forums).

That said, there should almost ALWAYS, IMO, be a political (or at least a debate) forum when you get a lot of intelligent people together.

Actually, I was having a perfectly happy time playing Guess my country until someone decided to run a fourth of July parade down the middle of my forum. Sounds like the kettle calling the pot black here. :-P

I usually carry a bit of restraint and reserve my political stuff for my LJ but I was a bit depressed over the 4July and your parade aggrivated it. I won't apologize for it either as I feel it was appropriate, as appropriate as that parade. You do sing well but your choice of venues are deplorable.

While all the things I wrote of are in effect, I consider 4Jul a day or mourning. A parade would be celebrating the loss of American Freedoms and that would be oh so wrong! Some of us are true patriots, not to the colors but to the principles for which they stand. Those like you have betrayed those principles or choose to be blind to their betrayal. In either case, you got what you asked for. :-P

Last edited by Slamlander on Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:48 am 
Expatriate

Slamlander wrote:
Actually, I was having a perfectly happy time playing Guess my country until someone decided to run a fourth of July parade down the middle of my forum. Sounds like the kettle calling the pot black here. :-P

Uh, no, Slam, in the fourth post of the thread, you wrote:

Slamlander wrote:
Survival is one thing but an independance day where you are not independent enough to be allowed your own fireworks and the local community won't put on a show either (due to budget cutting) strikes me as telling and moot.

Land of the free? Not!
Home of the brave? Not!

Why this American Citizen now lives in the oldest free democracy on the planet and it's NOT the USA!

Again, this was the fourth post of the thread, and at the time the only two other people (the first post was also yours) had both made short, non-inflamatory reponses to the thread topic, so I think it is pretty clear who started it. Seriously, did you really expect no one to respond to your rant in kind? :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:52 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Deadly Sin No.8 wrote:
Slamlander wrote:

Uh, no, Slam, in the fourth post of the thread, you wrote:

Slamlander wrote:
Survival is one thing but an independance day where you are not independent enough to be allowed your own fireworks and the local community won't put on a show either (due to budget cutting) strikes me as telling and moot.

Land of the free? Not!
Home of the brave? Not!

Why this American Citizen now lives in the oldest free democracy on the planet and it's NOT the USA!

Again, this was the fourth post of the thread, and at the time the only two other people (the first post was also yours) had both made short, non-inflamatory reponses to the thread topic, so I think it is pretty clear who started it. Seriously, did you really expect no one to respond to your rant in kind? :-?

Sorry, somehow I missed/forgot that. You guys keep me honest and true. That post was my depression talking and I would have posted no more about it without that damned parade showing up.

I guess that this is my queue to apologize, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:01 am 
Expatriate

Slamlander wrote:
Sorry, somehow I missed/forgot that. You guys keep me honest and true. That post was my depression talking and I would have posted no more about it without that damned parade showing up.

Depression sucks, and I know how expats can feel around pertinent holidays.

Quote:
I guess that this is my queue to apologize, eh?

Gee, while many people here (myself included) probably should apologize for various things, I wasn't aware there was a line.

So, I guess, cue apology? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:38 am 
Local

Identify, act, proceed.

The three rules of life which will keep you happy.

Identify the issue, act appropriately, proceed to a new issue. Life is too short for regret and negativity, those emotions are merely baggage and prevent personal growth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:28 am 
Ignore Me

Slam, this is a 4th of July thread. Not a "guess my country" thread.

There was absolutely no reason for you to bring politics into a thread like this. If you wanted to, you could have easily taken this to Debate, started a new thread, posted it on a different forum, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:30 am 
Green Text

But Debate is where threads go to die.

:-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:43 am 
Addict

PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:

There was absolutely no reason for you to bring politics into a thread like this. If you wanted to, you could have easily taken this to Debate, started a new thread, posted it on a different forum, etc.

Actually, I didn't start this off as a 4th of July thread and I didn't even intend to debate here and you didn't have to send a damned parade down the middle of it.

BTW, I apologise to everyone else that may be offended by this impromptu political debate. Yes, the AI debate is different, being neither religion or politicks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:28 am 
Local

Hush you! Don't apologize! You did nothing wrong.

You called it like you see it and said your honest piece -- that makes you more man than some.

Don't get buried by someone blathering all over your opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:46 am 
Ignore Me

Slamlander wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:

Actually, I didn't start this off as a 4th of July thread

Then again, you might not have been around for how the thread started.

And, Bell? Once again, debates go in a special place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:56 am 
Local

Once again, moderators don't need you to do their job and waste time by posting about where things belong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:09 am 
something smells fishy here

once again you are a man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:17 am 
Addict

Once again stop proving how badly these forums need moderation by continuing a 'debate' thread that has at this point nose dived into cronieism and flames rather than taking it to the debate forum and discussing the topic on a rational basis that does no involve badly compressed Star Trek macros.

Post subject: or i guess you could just not be an idiot. i bet you lost an argument earlier in the thread and this is you trying to bury it
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:20 am 
something smells fishy here

and psionics is an idiot because he seems to think that all threads containing debate belong in debate club. what he does not realize is that according to forums bylaw this thread would actually go in unrelated first because it is not actually related to a comic, but in fact belongs in roleplaying because in it bellofthedamned roleplays a female. according to internet hierarchy when a thread could be moved to multiple subforums, it must go to the first to occur in the forums directory. to act otherwise just displays poor class.

Post subject: Re: or i guess you could just not be an idiot. i bet you lost an argument earlier in the thread and this is you trying to bury it
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:25 am 
Ignore Me

cakewalk wrote:
and psionics is an idiot because he seems to think that all threads containing debate belong in debate club. what he does not realize is that according to forums bylaw this thread would actually go in unrelated first because it is not actually related to a comic

So, basically, what you're saying here is that everything either goes in a comic forum or in Unrelated.

Nice use of a lack of logic, there.

Edit:

onion wrote:
Once again stop proving how badly these forums need moderation by continuing a 'debate' thread that has at this point nose dived into cronieism and flames rather than taking it to the debate forum and discussing the topic on a rational basis that does no involve badly compressed Star Trek macros.

I'm actually curious as to whether or not you read the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:27 am 
Local

What he's saying is you should stop telling everyone where things go and stop posting about it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:30 am 
Ignore Me

So you have basically just posted this: You are telling me I shouldn't be posting here about what people shouldn't be posting here.

Last edited by PsionicsNOTMagic on Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: or i guess you could just not be an idiot. i bet you lost an argument earlier in the thread and this is you trying to bury it
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:31 am 
Addict

PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
onion wrote:

I'm actually curious as to whether or not you read the thread.

Shit no.

My eyes glaze over after the third post and I get an urge to blind myself.

The fact is, you want this moved to debate club badly, move it there yourself and actually act like a respsonsible member of the community and not someone who just likes to get the last word.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next