ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 06 July 2007: Whatever the fuck Ian did in that hole in the ground
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:11 pm 
Local

Meji being surprisingly mature.

Also, wondering if Jon after panel 3 used to be Sarine with dialogue. Sounds a little more formal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:20 pm 
Local

poor kid.

I've grown to like Meji again. There were a few months in there last year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:25 pm 
Local

You know, I really like Jon's personality when he's on war-footing. He's still irreverant, but it's drowned out by a sea of measured competence, as opposed to how sometimes he's measured and competant, but it's drowned out by a sea of irreverance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:31 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
This will also probably suppress a major incident.

Rarune is going to hear the reports about Sarine and her party, Meji's sudden disappearance is going to be too coincidental. He's also going to be pissed as hell when he finds out he has a kid. That may endanger Miyo and Gramps is going to be really left holding an empty sack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:51 pm 
Ignore Me

Miyo's in no danger. ...At least, publicly.

Quote:
Meji being surprisingly mature.

I was just thinking that she's been looking a lot older since all that stuff happened. It's been a slow process, but I think you can see a slow maturation (or however the heck it's spelled... it's late, OK?) over that time.

But yeah, she does seem to be acting rather mature.

Which means, of course, that she's about to start causing trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:55 pm 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
That may endanger Miyo

Good point! I wonder what will Rarune think of his (former) lover. Maybe he will go even as far as using Miyo as leverage to bring Meji out of hiding. This will crystalize two things: how Meji really feels about her mother and where is Tsuiraku willing to draw the line in their relationship with elves (or how far are elves prepared to push Tsuiraku, as in how dangerous they think Tsuiraku would be as an enemy, or how valuable are they as allies).

One thing I really doubt is that Tsuiraku would be able to suppress the knowledge of Meji's existance, even with her grandfather's assisstance. Too many people know of her and if they have yellow press, the news people WILL ask Rarune certain questiones.

DEATH: HE IS AN OLD FRIEND. YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:58 pm 
Green Text

Why would Meji be confused all of a sudden, she said her dad was likely out to kill her herself, earlier with Sarine...

I don't believe anything has happened between now and then to cause her to change or forget that viewpoint, it's only been a short time since that happened in the setting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:38 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Kest wrote:
Why would Meji be confused all of a sudden, she said her dad was likely out to kill her herself, earlier with Sarine...

I don't believe anything has happened between now and then to cause her to change or forget that viewpoint, it's only been a short time since that happened in the setting...

Excellent point and my initial reactions was surprise at that too. Then I wrote it off as adolescent contrariness and short memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:02 am 
Expatriate

Slamlander wrote:
Kest wrote:

Excellent point and my initial reactions was surprise at that too. Then I wrote it off as adolescent contrariness and short memory.

Maybe because they are in Tsuiraku and she thinks she will be safe, or at least not subject to being killed on sight? After all, she probably thinks that Sarine/Jon/Sara would be at least somewhat nearby, and even if not, it is unlikely that a small group of elves who murdered a councilman's (= a powerful mage's) granddaughter in the middle of the city would make it to the warp gate unscathed, diplomatic immunity or not.

The Ambasador (= the elves) will likely find out that she exists anyway, which, assuming what she has been told is true, effectively means that she is marked for death whether she sees her father or not. So from Meji's point of view, why the heck not just meet him and see what he is really like, or if he might have fatherly feelings for her? After all, she knows from Sarine's example that not all elves want to kill her on sight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:11 am 
Local

I think you take Meji earlier reaction a little too strongly.

##################
For the last 14 years, Meji had been an outcast due to her nature, all this time and she dreamed of the day when her father will come, to find someone that look like her, who will make her feel she is part of something bigger than just herself alone.

We know that not the case, but if you look our history, you will see that was the same dream that had all those americano-asian child after the vietnam war, when peoples rejeted them because they where "occidental" (and here they where rejected because they where viet).

So this is about a child 14 years old constant dream for her.

Suddenly she meet her first half-elf, in the 2 first days they are together the half-elf tell her that her dad will kill her or having her executed.

It's like having someone telling you that you loved father was a higt SS rank in the nazi germany, or a fist assassin of one of the biggest drug organisation of some south america prince, when all you seen in him is dream, tenderness and care for you.

After that you get attact by a troup of elf. if fact, people tell you that you were attact by a bunch of elf: you were inconcious fron the start to the finish, and you have lost the only other half-elf that you know.

And you r oblige to travel with an elf... OF COURSE everything that happen lately will come out and you will throw that at her face, that's normal.

But you get separated from her, find your half-elf back, blablablabla... and get back home. where you spen your time in you bed depressing yourself about yourself.

The last two week seems out of time and reallity. Yeah you remember everything that what said and what happened... but that seems so far away of the life in Tsuiraku...

And suddenly the event, the moment that you have been dreaming for the last 14 years in about too happen! Yeah sure you heard all the warning, the encounter with the elves (that you have seen at all) and all the blablabla, but HE IS YOUR FATHER! Surely it must be something in his blood that will tell him that you are the same, sharing the same nature.

You have grow-up watching all those other kids around having their father taking care of them with love, with attention, with affection. Why YOUR DAD would be diferent? No matter what people told you, people that you knew just for days, come-on, you have dream so much of that moment, they must be wrong, they must don't realise that he is your dad, he will make thing work alright! You know that, deeply inside of you, somewhere whithin those 14 years of dream, hope and suffering, he cannot be the imminent life danger that people try to describe to you, you know that!
##################

I must say I'm more surprise at you being surprise at her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:14 am 
Local

Wonder what hole in the ground Meji is thinking off, sounds like it has some connections to her childhood...

A secret place where she and Bani used to play with Rape-kun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 am 
Green Text

Neko7 wrote:
I think you take Meji earlier reaction a little too strongly.

I suppose she could simply forget her own opinion and all evidence to the contrary for the vague hope that everything would be alright after moping for a few days. That's not absurd at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:44 am 
Tourist

Kest wrote:

Well for one thing, we may be misinterpreting <a href="http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2004-10-01">that scene</a> a bit. Recall the context. Meji says she just wants to get in touch with her roots (a lie, but never mind that). Sarine says Really Bad Idea and that she should just forget about it and go back home to Tsuiraku. Meji's reply could simply be calling bullshit. As in "waitaminnit. If what you say is true, then my own fucking dad is going to kill me on his next visit, so going back to Tsuiraku isn't such a bright idea either, and so your advice makes no sense." Doesn't necessarily mean she fully <b>accepts</b> the idea of her dad actually being at/near the top of the list of People Who Want Meji Dead.

Never mind that it's hardly atypical for a teenage girl with a completely absent father to want to believe all sorts of random things about him regardless of whether they have any basis in reality. etc.... and badly want to meet him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:20 am 
Local

Rakshasa wrote:
Wonder what hole in the ground Meji is thinking off, sounds like it has some connections to her childhood...

Jon was referring to 'magic potato', the sanctuary of Anilis, which is apparently underground.

DEATH: HE IS AN OLD FRIEND. YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:34 am 
Local

And I was referring to the place they will be going into hiding in, which can also be referred to as a "hole in the ground".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:00 am 
Addict

Neko7: I like your explanation, it makes sense.

Somehow, I think that Meji will still try to meet him, if for no other reason than to confirm the warnings that she's been given. Note that during the various battles, she's pretty much standing flat-footed. She may be confident enough of her own mage abilities, to at least be able to keep Rarune from killing her on sight.

Using Ellis as an animated target, for years, gets her battle mage skills higher than most of her fellow students as well**. The confidence may not be completely misplaced. However, Rarune is a full Elf and Meji doesn't really know what that means, magically.

Edit:
** It just occured to me that this may be the full reason for her having Ellis and that Gramps had something to do with that choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:09 am 
Local

I'm with Slamlander, Meji will try to meet with her father, but don't forget that he will probably show up with an honour guard. Their combined magical might will push Meji to near death before Sara shows up and offs the ambassador and his entire party with her m4d time-magic skillz. When the elves back in the homeland realize what has happened, they will blame it on the half-elves and come down on the city like the wrath of God.

As for Meji looking more mature, it seems like several months have passed between when she was with Ian to when she showed up at home. That gives her body a bit more time to grow. Perhaps now she is starting to look more like an 18-year-old than a 14-year old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:16 am 
Addict

No, it's only been a few weeks. OTOH, she did get caught in Ian's side blast. That could have easily done it. It could have also upgraded her magic quotient without anyone's knowing, even Meji.

Also, realise that women only need to change their hair to add/subtract 5-10 years and her friend did take her to the mall where she's had a full make-over.

If you've ever had a sixteen year old daughter try to look 21 to get into a club, then you've witnessed this yourself. Amazingly successful, they are. :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:01 am 
Local

Rakshasa wrote:

Yes. Cue flashback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:27 am 
Local

You know, depending on how well informed Rarune is, he could believe that a special forces elf arriving and her daughter disappearing are good things. If he doesn't yet know he has a half-elf daughter, then finding out in Tsuiraku means he and his entire guard have to deal with it.

If, however, word had reached the elves, sending someone in to deal with the problem before the ambassador arrives is the smart thing to do. Rarune could simply figure he was kept in the dark to preserve "plausible deniability".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next