ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:36 am 
Native

Am I the only one that is hoping that Rarune isn't going to try to kill Meji but rather protect her (in a way that won't dirty his name of course)?

Of course a dark part of me hopes that he WILL kill Meji (not try to kill and fail). That would make for an awesome scene. Though it would totally fuck the plot.

Politics is about saving your ass in this life; Religion is about saving your ass in the next. It's no wonder that the two are connected now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:38 am 
Local

Neko7 wrote:
I think you take Meji earlier reaction a little too strongly.
(all sorts of good stuff omitted)
After that you get attact by a troup of elf. if fact, people tell you that you were attact by a bunch of elf: you were inconcious fron the start to the finish, and you have lost the only other half-elf that you know.

Generally a very good analysis, but she does know that it was a bunch of elves that attacked her.

Wrog wrote:
Never mind that it's hardly atypical for a teenage girl with a completely absent father to want to believe all sorts of random things about him regardless of whether they have any basis in reality. etc.... and badly want to meet him.

Excellent point, but at the same time, one unexpectedly admirable thing about the way Meji has handled herself is that she has consistently avoided a state of denial, in the face of many opportunities to be in such a state. For denial to pop up here and now seems odd, particularly since she's getting strong reinforcement that Jon and Sarine really do care about her. There has never, in all her not-quite-18 years, been any evidence that Rarune does -- for good reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:54 am 
Local

DaiDreamer5 wrote:
Though it would totally fuck the plot.

Would it?

Might have to write up a draft of events in my head to run through the possibilities.

Her demise could make events more.. more tense. Jon would probably flip. Sarine would flip because Jon's flipped. Sara does the dirty, then it's Veracia + Elves vs Tsuiraku and we know what that means. Time monks and necromancy make their deadly comeback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:25 am 
Ignore Me

Why are we only talking about Meji knowing whether or not her father will kill her now? This is something that should have been gotten out of the way long ago.

And of course she's going to try and meet him. That's why she gave up so easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:19 am 
Local

PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
Why are we only talking about Meji knowing whether or not her father will kill her now? This is something that should have been gotten out of the way long ago.

You mean, sometime around 2003-2004? Dunno if it was discussed, I was lurking around then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:20 am 
Ignore Me

Rakshasa wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:

You mean, sometime around 2003-2004? Dunno if it was discussed, I was lurking around then.

It was brought up here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:34 am 
Local

I was pointing out that that it would have been discussed way back when Meji and Ian had their little discussion, back before you even registered your account.

So the answer to your questions is: Because you weren't around back then to point us in the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:40 am 
Addict

wrog wrote:
Kest wrote:
Why would Meji be confused all of a sudden, she said her dad was likely out to kill her herself, earlier with Sarine...

I don't believe anything has happened between now and then to cause her to change or forget that viewpoint, it's only been a short time since that happened in the setting...

Well for one thing, we may be misinterpreting <a href="http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2004-10-01">that scene</a> a bit. Recall the context. Meji says she just wants to get in touch with her roots (a lie, but never mind that). Sarine says Really Bad Idea and that she should just forget about it and go back home to Tsuiraku. Meji's reply could simply be calling bullshit. As in "waitaminnit. If what you say is true, then my own fucking dad is going to kill me on his next visit, so going back to Tsuiraku isn't such a bright idea either, and so your advice makes no sense." Doesn't necessarily mean she fully <b>accepts</b> the idea of her dad actually being at/near the top of the list of People Who Want Meji Dead.

Never mind that it's hardly atypical for a teenage girl with a completely absent father to want to believe all sorts of random things about him regardless of whether they have any basis in reality. etc.... and badly want to meet him.

Well, Ian warned her strenously about this meeting, the Elves did their best to kill her, Sarine basically admitted that killing half-Elves was part of her job, and she didn't kill Meji because she didn't have the stomach for it and, anyway, something more important was coming up.

On the other hand, Meji's a failure career-wise and socially at 17, her family environment is hellicious, and the only thing in her life that might make her less than a complete loser is that half-share of Elvish genes she carries.

There's plenty of grounds for denial, there.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:42 am 
Ignore Me

Rakshasa wrote:
I was pointing out that that it would have been discussed way back when Meji and Ian had their little discussion, back before you even registered your account.

So the answer to your questions is: Because you weren't around back then to point us in the right direction.

But the point is that this was an issue to be addressed on Monday, when we knew that Rarune was coming to town, and that Jon and Sarine were worried about Meji's reaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:00 am 
Local

Seems to me the psychotic mage chick is feelin her own nowadays. I figure, best as not, she used to be a child who was looked after, but when Ian went God on her, she had to grow up and look after someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:39 am 
Local

We obviously don't have the capacity to discuss topics with conditionals, thus before that monday we were unable to even consider such a discussion. And now that we know Rarune is coming, those mental roadblocks are gone.

Thank you for making this clear to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 am 
Tourist

finalcarrots wrote:
Seems to me the psychotic mage chick is feelin her own nowadays. I figure, best as not, she used to be a child who was looked after, but when Ian went God on her, she had to grow up and look after someone else.

Meanwhile, I'm still not entirely convinced that she didn't <a href="http://errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2005-11-01">get souped up with a bit of goddess juice herself</a> and that she just hasn't yet had any opportunity to exercise it. And if we are really are looking at full-scale war here, then rather a lot of things are going to need looking after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:34 am 
Ignore Me

It's empty.

I was sure you were linking this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:57 am 
Addict

Scient wrote:
Rakshasa wrote:
A secret place where she and Bani used to play with Rape-kun?

Yes. Cue flashback.

Sorry but Bani didn't have the password to get rape-kun out of child mode or whatever.

Slamlander wrote:
Using Ellis as an animated target, for years, gets her battle mage skills higher than most of her fellow students as well**. The confidence may not be completely misplaced.

I don't know about Meji's abilities as an evoker. Sure she hits Ellis a lot but I don't think we have really seen her unload on someone that has any kind of magical talent (please link if we have, I forget things sometimes). We know that Ian could kill multiple elves before dropping a building on the last one, but we haven't seen a good deminstration of Meji's skill level.

@PnM: No, I'm pretty sure he was talking about the fact that it went all shiny and glowy. Not the sucking magic out of Ian part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:10 pm 
Local

Kaz*CheesyDoritoBomb* wrote:
I don't know about Meji's abilities as an evoker. Sure she hits Ellis a lot but I don't think we have really seen her unload on someone that has any kind of magical talent (please link if we have, I forget things sometimes). We know that Ian could kill multiple elves before dropping a building on the last one, but we haven't seen a good deminstration of Meji's skill level.

She's still young, and assuming normal human development of skills and strength, she isn't anywhere near her peak yet.

From one of the flashbacks, we know she had some problems controlling her power when she was younger. Currently she doesn't really give a feeling of being incompetent/clumsy in general, so I'm more inclined to think she wasn't able to stem the flow of power to the required amount.

I look forward to seeing her blow up stuff for real. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:10 pm 
Ignore Me

Hence why I linked the comic after that. Glowy =/= supa powa.

Finalcarrots, I think that she started changing before that. Here is soon after she started, here she looks like she's actually seen some stress in her life, and here she kind of looks sick of it all. These are accompanied by dialogue during the chapters that show that she's not where she started.

Edit: For Rak. (and for Kaz, since she doesn't seem to be all that much more powerful than before)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:56 pm 
Local

PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
Edit: For Rak. (and for Kaz, since she doesn't seem to be all that much more powerful than before)

Yeah, a fair fight: One mage against an austere magic portal created by the gods...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:01 pm 
Addict

PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
For Rak. (and for Kaz, since she doesn't seem to be all that much more powerful than before)

You got me there buddy ol' pal. Because the gods would never have thought some one would try to blow up the portal to their resting place. I mean that is just the silliest notion ever.

PsionicsNotMagic wrote:
here she looks like she's actually seen some stress in her life

Not really. Seems more like she is tired of walking to places. Which is understandalbe considering she has lived in one of the most advanced countries (probably cities also) where they would have... oh I dunno warp gates for long distance travelling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:10 pm 
Green Text

Well, it is possible that she changed without noticing from touching the sphere. As if there was an echo left behind.

Just sounds a little unlikely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:01 pm 
Ignore Me

Kaz*CheesyDoritoBomb* wrote:
PsionicsNOTMagic wrote:
For Rak. (and for Kaz, since she doesn't seem to be all that much more powerful than before)

You got me there buddy ol' pal. Because the gods would never have thought some one would try to blow up the portal to their resting place. I mean that is just the silliest notion ever.

I'm talking about the explosion itself. She SUPPOSEDLY put as much strength as she could into it (since she was trying to blow it up), but it wasn't really much bigger than anything we've seen her do before. That, and she doesn't seem to shocked at the explosion's power.

As to you, Rak: I was referring to this:

Quote:
I look forward to seeing her blow up stuff for real. ;)

Quote:
PsionicsNotMagic wrote:
here she looks like she's actually seen some stress in her life

Not really. Seems more like she is tired of walking to places. Which is understandalbe considering she has lived in one of the most advanced countries (probably cities also) where they would have... oh I dunno warp gates for long distance travelling.

Look at the other comics around there. This one, for example. She didn't appreciate how serious this project of hers would be, but now she does. I think that's given her a bit more perspective.

Edit: Speaking of that comic, it seems that she was lying about what was bothering her before.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next