ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 2007-07-18 Ambassador has arrived: REDUX!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:34 am 
Expatriate

Y hallo dar!

Seems like a nice enough fellow. Let's hope he's not a sexual deviant and mindlessly genocidal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:36 am 
n00b

Oh damnit.

He's rather FOPPISH, isn't he. Just a little effete...

Meji doesn't really seem to look like him much at all, huh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:38 am 
Expatriate

I don't like him! he seems sneaky....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:11 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Sneaky is part of the job description for diplomats. They must have at least two spare faces at all times.

Randy, is also a part of the job description.

Effete on the other hand is a job description attributable to a stereotypical member of the High Elven Court.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:17 am 
Local

Let's see - two viradior, two soldiers (cpt. & pt.) and what looks like an assassin (dark light armor, a frown). Yep, full entourage.

DEATH: HE IS AN OLD FRIEND. YOU MIGHT SAY HE IS ON THE INSTALMENT PLAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:26 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:

I tought discretion was, wich is kind of the opposite, although charming is definitely part of the job too, it's just best to avoid 'incidents', which having a baby out of wedlock would be in some cultures (not Tsuiraku of course).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:49 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
pillaroforder wrote:
Let's see - two viradior, two soldiers (cpt. & pt.) and what looks like an assassin (dark light armor, a frown). Yep, full entourage.

Yes, the guy's force projecting in a rather big way. On the other hand, the first panel shows the heads of many Yuuki staves. So, Tsuirakishiti is projecting right back and letting Praenubilus Astu know that they are equals.

Now we find out if Gramps greets the ambassador directly.

pillaroforder wrote:
Slamlander wrote:

I tought discretion was, wich is kind of the opposite, although charming is definitely part of the job too, it's just best to avoid 'incidents', which having a baby out of wedlock would be in some cultures (not Tsuiraku of course).

Okay, discretionary randiness; He shags the birds in the bushes. :wink:

How's that for brit-speak 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:33 am 
Expatriate

... Okay that just derailed onto my inner monologue of 'Two birds in the bush is worth one in the hand' metaphor, and I'm a little disturbed at the implications that holds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:18 am 
Local

No one yet to comment on the inevitable repercussions of ambassador Rarune's proclamation of the strength of their relations with the rest of the world?

Like a rock thrown in the air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:18 am 
Tourist

pillaroforder wrote:

Yep, an assassin wearing an assassin's uniform. That's the ticket.

Probably a secretary. While an immortal race can have cultural justification for not having personal servants, any ambassador has to have some administrative staff. Defeats the purpose of an embassy if you don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:37 am 
Local

Oi, he's more than just effete. He's downright metrosexual. LOL.

Miyo turned him :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:39 am 
Local

Doesn't look like a secretary to me. His clothes seem like outdoor-type. And what would an ambassador without an intelligence gathering expert be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:42 am 
Local

Rakshasa wrote:
No one yet to comment on the inevitable repercussions of ambassador Rarune's proclamation of the strength of their relations with the rest of the world?

Like a rock thrown in the air.

I agree. These words will come back to mock everyone once they find out Errants are there and destroy half the city looking for them.

And why do I have the feeling that Assassin-type fellow will meet his end impaled on Sara's blade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:16 am 
Addict

I didn't think he looked like a red-shirt, but it's completely possible.

Rakshasa wrote:

Usual empty salutory-speak. One visit per 20 years is not a strong connection, even for Elves. Praenubilus Astu is still self-isolated and intends to stay that way for the near term.

Initial B wrote:
I agree. These words will come back to mock everyone once they find out Errants are there and destroy half the city looking for them.

I don't think that they are able to do that, with an army of battle mages ready for them. I have the distinct impression that Tsuirakuan leadership doesn't exactly trust elves or why did Tsuiraku vanish in the first place?

Another thought; the reappearance of Tsuiraku should have created a serious problem with the "All half-elves are Errants and should be killed" faction. Remember that Tsuiraku's disappearance was the major trigger for the Errant War. With that reason proven to be false, that faction should have been in some serious turmoil. Maybe they still are. So far, Poe hasn't directly addressed that issue and it might have a bearing on the story, going forward. How does that effect the elven choice of ambassador? What faction is he from? Also, knowing that there were half-elves on Tsuiraku when it disappeared, the elves would be extremely interested as to what happened to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:47 am 
Local

By human standards, probably not... But for such an isolated and long-lived race 20 years is quite frequent.

Showing off military strength is not mainly about protection from those visiting, especially not when receiving ambassadors. It's more about showing that you respect the visitors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:58 am 
Expatriate

Considering that the war petered out over exhaustion I don't think the city's reapearance would have had much effect on the elves beyond "Nya nya we were right." "Do you think any half elves are still there?" "Don't know lets check.....nope seem to be purely humans." "Oh alright then what's for dinner?"

I agree if he finds out about Meji all bets are off as to how amicable their relationships are especially since he's utter the diplomatic equivilent of "Nothing can possibly go wrong." I also agree that visiting ambassador or not he'd need at least some clerical staff to take care of treaties and other paperwork (although for a moment I thought that guy in the back was a time ninja).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:24 am 
Addict

Rakshasa wrote:
Showing off military strength is not mainly about protection from those visiting, especially not when receiving ambassadors. It's more about showing that you respect the visitors.

Force Projection

Not exactly what I expected but close enough. The military presence at such meetings is mostly about whose is badder. Elves show up with with a representitive sample of their troops and Tsuirakuans are waiting with a representitive sample of theirs. If one side hasn't the heavies than they show a shitload of grunts. It's all about presenting power. Both cities can project their forces over most of the known world fairly quickly.

In this case, while elves may have more powerful individuals, Tsuirakuans have a shitload more of them and that's what I see, a balance of power. However, I don't expect the Tsuirakuans to be showing everything they have either. Only just enough to show par.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:34 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
Rakshasa wrote:

Usual empty salutory-speak. One visit per 20 years is not a strong connection, even for Elves. Praenubilus Astu is still self-isolated and intends to stay that way for the near term.

Actually, Rakshasa is right. In the real world, the "salutory-speak" in these situations is very carefully crafted and heavily nuanced. I've been involved in some of that crafting on occasion, and the first thing that came to mind when I looked at the exact phrasing of Rarune's salutation was "what on earth did he mean by that? It's an odd turn of phrase, and there IS more to it than meets the eye."

Slamlander wrote:
Another thought; the reappearance of Tsuiraku should have created a serious problem with the "All half-elves are Errants and should be killed" faction. Remember that Tsuiraku's disappearance was the major trigger for the Errant War. With that reason proven to be false, that faction should have been in some serious turmoil. Maybe they still are. So far, Poe hasn't directly addressed that issue and it might have a bearing on the story, going forward. How does that effect the elven choice of ambassador? What faction is he from? Also, knowing that there were half-elves on Tsuiraku when it disappeared, the elves would be extremely interested as to what happened to them.

Interesting point. However, I think it's clear that the Errant-killers are still in the ascendancy among the elves; the Saus affair would have played out quite differently if they weren't. Accordingly, it is reasonable to assume that Rarune is in that camp, as a government tends, all else equal, to send out ambassadors whose political viewpoint matches that of the dominant party in that government. It doesn't always play that way, for various reasons, but usually it does. And that would be consistent with Rarune's behavior on the last trip. "Ah, a nice human bedwarmer in my welcome basket, how thoughtful. A possibility of an Errant resulting from the token of their appreciation? Meh. If it happens, the rangers will take care of it, that's what they're for."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:10 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
However, I don't expect the Tsuirakuans to be showing everything they have either. Only just enough to show par.

Point. I didn't see any War-golems anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:41 am 
Tourist

pillaroforder wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
However, I don't expect the Tsuirakuans to be showing everything they have either. Only just enough to show par.

Point. I didn't see any War-golems anywhere.

Very high level conversation, here.

While we reflexively make fun of diplomats and diplomatic double-speak today, it is usually carefully crafted, has its sources in centuries of experience, and has one overweening primary function: to mute conflicts and prevent wars. The show of force on both sides has the same purpose: providing a certain amount of information on military strength and willingness to use that strength, while not provoking a bellicose or insulted reaction.

Slamlander may know if this story is apocryphal or not . . .

When Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany, a legendary "loose cannon" and blowhard, made a state visit to Switzerland, the Swiss paraded a unit of their well trained militia for his benefit. When the Kaiser interviewed one of the soldiers, he asked: "How many strong are you, then?" The soldier replied, "There are 250,000 thousand of us, your excellency." Wilhelm, scoffing somewhat, said, "Ah, and what if I send a half-million soldiers against your country?"

While the diplomats around them either rolled their eyes or turned pale, the soldier replied: "Then, your excellency, we will each need two bullets."

Last edited by Exiled Soul on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next