ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:16 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Neko7 wrote:
normalphil wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
We can reasonably extrapolate now that this buildup of religious extremist pressure is why the Tsuirakuans decided to disappear.

Or it was a purely human plot to steal the more-favored and indulged half-elves bright golden chance and make off with their own civilization by stealing trillions of dollars of infrastructure along with a sizable breeding population and most of their own cultural elites. Thus avoiding their increasingly obvious fate as a permament underclass in an Elf/Half-Elf world.

In this version the reason why there aren't any elves or half-elves in Tsuiraku is because a cabal of human mages killed them all three-and-a-half seconds after they switched on their secret illegal cloaking device and two seconds before they started to fly the city to its new location hovering over a lake on the unihabited periphery of Rinkai territory.

The half-elves being left holding the bag is just an unintended consequence they frankly didn't give a damn about, they'd have been plotting that well before Malacia.

Or may be, since the half-elf weren't a race by itself andthe anger between them and the human mage wasn't exacerbed, between the time that they disappear and the time that they had lost the cloaking device, half-elf have procreated with human so much that the "elf blood" became so diluated that everyone was, in apparence, totally human. In fact this is possible that most of Tsuiraku's population, at a genetic level, have elf aspect and be an half-elf descendant.

1800/33=54 human generations, plenty of time to dilute the elven blood into non-visibility. It would also have strengthened and stablized their genetics. A whole modern city chock-full of half-elves. :-o That would make a few elves shit bricks. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:41 am 
Tourist

Slamlander wrote:
Kest wrote:
Am I the only one with a vague liking for the guy?

No! :wink:

Yeah, we know nothing about this fellow, other than he dresses well, is polite, and doesn't mind having sex with unattached human females. That description fits Thomas Jefferson, the Borgia Pope, Saladin, the Marquis de Sade, Shaka Zulu, Count Dracula, and James Bond, among others. He could be a complete asshole and idiot, or he could be the only ranking Elf open-minded enough to realize the importance of keeping a diplomatic channel open to the mage-city. More information is needed.

Oh, liked the new poster. Not that this crew would ever be free enough of angst to all be cheerful at the same time.

I especially like Meji's new chastity belts. One of the reasons people think Meji looks more mature has to be that she suddenly has enough hips to hold those things up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:36 am 
Tourist

Neko7 wrote:
"Honor guard?
They mentioned he would have several other people would* be arriving with him, but..."

(* wait! Is that usual english? The repetition song wrong to me...
But the last time I have this impression I was wrong,
so I leave that to the native's english people to decide)

Slamlander wrote:
I sort of discount that entire sentence because, it doesn't parse for me either. The only one that could clarify it is Poe.

You don't need Poe for that. That sentence was simply missing a word:
"They mentioned he would have several other people [WHO] would be arriving with him." The 2nd "would" belongs to the other people, while the first "would" belongs to the ambassador, so they are both correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:25 pm 
Local

Exiled Soul wrote:
I especially like Meji's new chastity belts. One of the reasons people think Meji looks more mature has to be that she suddenly has enough hips to hold those things up.

Growth spurt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:35 pm 
Tourist

BloodHenge wrote:
Exiled Soul wrote:

Growth spurt?

Not to mention some unconscious jealousy towards Sarine, who definitely has hips enough for any purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:19 pm 
Addict

I think we have Forneus, the Infernal Lord of Bullshit, here today. Not that this is a bad thing. It can be a wonderful skill to have... particularly when all you meet are unschooled amatures compared to you. Could go either way. [/unlurk]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:21 pm 
Tourist

Labrat wrote:
I think we have Forneus, the Infernal Lord of Bullshit, here today. Not that this is a bad thing. It can be a wonderful skill to have... particularly when all you meet are unschooled amatures compared to you. Could go either way. [/unlurk]

:-x Oh yeah? Well, so's your mother an' . . .

:confused: Wot the hell are you talking about?

:-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:47 pm 
Addict

He is saying that the ambassador is pulling crap out of his ass. And that he doesn't mean any of it and knows that the other elves don't believe any of it. (this might not be the truth, I believe this to be at least a sound summary of Labby's post, although I could be wrong, but I think when you spend enough time in the presence of Labrat's posts you get a nice feel for how he speaks)

Also... penis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:08 am 
Local

Kaz*CheesyDoritoBomb* wrote:
He is saying that the ambassador is pulling crap out of his ass. And that he doesn't mean any of it and knows that the other elves don't believe any of it. (this might not be the truth, I believe this to be at least a sound summary of Labby's post, although I could be wrong, but I think when you spend enough time in the presence of Labrat's posts you get a nice feel for how he speaks)

Also... penis.

Isn't that an ambassador's job? To say things he doesn't mean to people who don't believe him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:24 am 
Addict

BloodHenge wrote:
Isn't that an ambassador's job? To say things he doesn't mean to people who don't believe him?

Why yes.
And I should stop speaking for Labby as he is capable of posting for himself.

Now I must say fair eve, for I only got back onto the comp for bit of the old in and out, only to be sucked back onto the forums. And seeing as I have to wake up in about 5 1/2 hours then work the night shift later, I am very tired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:38 am 
Local

BloodHenge wrote:

I think you are confusing politicians and ambassadors.

If he isn't able to say what he means to people that believe him, then he is a failed ambassador. They do however have a rather indirect way of communicating, so that may be why you would think as you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:37 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Rakshasa wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:

There is a difference? :-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:39 am 
Tourist

Slamlander wrote:
Rakshasa wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:

Depends on how cynical you are, and where you are from. In the US, we have a lot of problems with people who believe every damn thing they hear on TV, no matter how ridiculous, if it feeds their prejudice and fancy. It is also frightening how many politicians and hucksters actually believe most of what they say.

But that's another topic. In the case of an ambassador from a more or less peaceful country, it is usually important to tell the truth while carefully telling as little of it as possible. Everything else is detail and formality. We should be learning soon how much the Elves want to tell the Tsairi about their loose goddess problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:08 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
Rakshasa wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:

Keep in mind, a politician's job is to get votes. An ambassador's job is to foster good relations so that they can then get something out of the country they're in.

If their audience doesn't trust them to keep their end of a bargain, they're not doing their job right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:49 am 
Addict

Kerostasis wrote:
Neko7 wrote:
"Honor guard?
They mentioned he would have several other people would* be arriving with him, but..."

(* wait! Is that usual english? The repetition song wrong to me...
But the last time I have this impression I was wrong,
so I leave that to the native's english people to decide)

Slamlander wrote:
I sort of discount that entire sentence because, it doesn't parse for me either. The only one that could clarify it is Poe.

"They mentioned he would have several other people [WHO] would be arriving with him." The 2nd "would" belongs to the other people, while the first "would" belongs to the ambassador, so they are both correct.

Okay, I'll buy that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:35 pm 
Local

Kerostasis wrote:

Alternatively, Poe tried saying the same thing two different ways and wound up partly saying both of them:

"<FONT COLOR="#FF0000">They mentioned he would have several other people</FONT> <strike>would be</strike> <FONT COLOR="#FF0000">arriving with him.</FONT>" - option alpha
"<FONT COLOR="#FF00FF">They mentioned</FONT> <FONT COLOR="FF0000">he would have</FONT> <FONT COLOR="#FF00FF">several other people</FONT> <FONT COLOR="#0000FF">would be</FONT> <FONT COLOR="#FF00FF">arriving with him.</FONT>" - actual quote
"<FONT COLOR="#0000FF">They mentioned</font> <strike>he would have</strike> <FONT COLOR="#0000FF">several other people would be arriving with him.</FONT>" - option omega

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:50 pm 
Local

Forrest wrote:
Kerostasis wrote:

Alternatively, Poe tried saying the same thing two different ways and wound up partly saying both of them:

"<FONT COLOR="#FF0000">They mentioned he would have several other people</FONT> <strike>would be</strike> <FONT COLOR="#FF0000">arriving with him.</FONT>" - option alpha
"<FONT COLOR="#FF00FF">They mentioned</FONT> <FONT COLOR="FF0000">he would have</FONT> <FONT COLOR="#FF00FF">several other people</FONT> <FONT COLOR="#0000FF">would be</FONT> <FONT COLOR="#FF00FF">arriving with him.</FONT>" - actual quote
"<FONT COLOR="#0000FF">They mentioned</font> <strike>he would have</strike> <FONT COLOR="#0000FF">several other people would be arriving with him.</FONT>" - option omega

I've done that so many times...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3