ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:05 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Mista_B wrote:
Mmmf. Anyone else see this ending with a re-ignition of ye olde God vs God war?

Nope. Only Goddess verses wannabe fake god.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:58 am 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
Mista_B wrote:

Something to think about: are you sure that a being that has flakes like Nookie, Kawaii and Concussion as underlings/emissaries is really all that genuine a ghod or ghoddess?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:54 pm 
Tourist

Graybeard wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
Mista_B wrote:

Something to think about: are you sure that a being that has flakes like Nookie, Kawaii and Concussion as underlings/emissaries is really all that genuine a ghod or ghoddess?

Strickly speaking, we can't say. There is an traditional underlying assumption in our culture that increased knowledge of the universe beyond the human norm causes greater wisdom and gravitas. In fact, we have reason whatsover to assume that there is such a cause and effect relationship.

There are gods and goddesses in most religions who act like spoiled children, sadistic brutes, debauched nilhists, etc., etc. In the Lovecraftian universe, which is based on 19th Century atheism, having greater knowledge than humans can know leads to insanity or a sentience so alien to humanity that we will always interpret it as madness or non-sentience.

Last edited by Exiled Soul on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:21 pm 
Addict

I though Luminostia blew up and that was what caused the big shockwave that took down the elves shield and the Tsuiraku's invis field. Maybe Ian blames the church for something that happened? Or maybe Anilis sat Ian down for a talk and gave him a list of things to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:55 pm 
Expatriate

I think the popular working theory right now is that he's here to absorb Luminosita's raw magical energy into himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:05 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Kaz*CheesyDoritoBomb* wrote:
I though Luminostia blew up and that was what caused the big shockwave that took down the elves shield and the Tsuiraku's invis field. Maybe Ian blames the church for something that happened? Or maybe Anilis sat Ian down for a talk and gave him a list of things to do.

Nah, the elven barrier shield is what blew. The backlash just disabled Luminosita and blew out Tsuiraku's cloaking device. Big fucking backlash, like a giant EMP. :wink: :-3

Yes, Luminosita, although somewhat diminished, is still around.

KurtDunn wrote:
I think the popular working theory right now is that he's here to absorb Luminosita's raw magical energy into himself.

I dunno. While it's Ian that's attacking Emerylon, we don't know why. We really don't have enough clues yet. That's just the latest working hypothesis. He may just simply have the red-ass at the head of the Veracian church. BTW, AFAIK, Ian knows nothing about any Ensigerum Order.

Also, if he succeeds in turning Emerylon into rubble, then you can bet your sweet bippy that Gramps and Company will be highly interested, as in "Who the fuck is that?" This will be, of course, the time when Rarune tells him about the evil Errants, which all half-elves are, before Gramps has a chance to tell Rarune that he's a father.

To add further interest, I suspect that all Tsuirakuans have some (1/54th) elven blood and the leadership knows it. Not enough to manifest openly but enough to give their magic talents a bit of a bump. So, telling them that all half-elves are Errants would count as a bit of a faux pas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:57 pm 
Expatriate

Location: Screaming obsenities regarding untestable C++ software.
"There is no Ian, only Zuul!"

It's possible that Ian's last few hundred bursts of screwing around with the fundamental nature of the universe finaly blew a fuse somewhere. Ian isn't driving the bus anymore, and we have one really pissed off goddess looking to strike out at some unbelievers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:37 pm 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
To add further interest, I suspect that all Tsuirakuans have some (1/54th) elven blood and the leadership knows it.
(emphasis added)
Yeah, I know, cat girls and all that, but I would love to hear your explanation of the genetics of that one. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:25 pm 
Local

Graybeard wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
To add further interest, I suspect that all Tsuirakuans have some (1/54th) elven blood and the leadership knows it.
(emphasis added)
Yeah, I know, cat girls and all that, but I would love to hear your explanation of the genetics of that one. :wink:

It comes down to one question; "What happenned to the Half-Elven (and potentially Elven) population of Tsuiraku when the city first disappeared?"

Slamlander comes from the "they all hunkered down and laid low throughout the Errant War, appaerently intending from the start to use Tsuiraku as a 'life raft'" school of thought. In that scenario, in the 2000 years since, the half-elven bloodlines have throughly diluted throughout the Tsuirakan gene pool, even allowing for the percentage of half-elves that mate with half-elves, there's been just too many generations (even half-elf generations) for a consistant heratige. Everybody looks human, but it's like the Afrikaaners (who have maybe 10% black ancestry). As for the 1/54 figure, that strikes me as very 'best case'- no where near as dilute as I think it'd be. While half-elves seem to live a lot longer than humans, their age-to-maturation is pretty comparable, and they don't have any problems with fertility. Half-elf generations aren't longer, they'd just have a lot more of them, overlapping.

I actually come from the school of thought of "the human mages then immediately killed all the Elven and Half-Elf mages (or enough of them to make little difference), and ran off with Tsuiraku intending it from the start to be the core of a Human civilization, not giving a damn about the imminent Errant War. And they were the ones that smuggled a cloaking device on board in the first place." My shroedinger humans are purebreds.

We both believe that there's got to be a tier of Tsuirakan culture that isn't as innocent of history as Meji is, and that tier probably starts and ends at the mage high council. (She hasn't even heard of the Errant War. That's like not ever hearing the term 'The Fall of Rome'. It'd have come up in a pop song at some point, ala 'It's all been done'. The Tsuirakan public knows shit. To say nothing of anciant criminal conspiracies, the best case being grand larceny of trillions of dollars of infrastructure, and the worst case being that with a healthy dose of murder.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:30 pm 
Local

normalphil wrote:
Graybeard wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
(emphasis added)

It comes down to one question; "What happenned to the Half-Elven (and potentially Elven) population of Tsuiraku when the city first disappeared?"

Erm, no. Some math major want to explain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:45 pm 
Local

Could it be that the explaining as already been given on this forum?

No One wrote:
Ah yes, the first rule of inefficient magic use. When the first spell doesn't succeed, add more power and try again...

So Anilis power wasn't enought to get the soul back, you say...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:17 pm 
n00b

normalphil wrote:
I actually come from the school of thought of "the human mages then immediately killed all the Elven and Half-Elf mages (or enough of them to make little difference), and ran off with Tsuiraku intending it from the start to be the core of a Human civilization, not giving a damn about the imminent Errant War. And they were the ones that smuggled a cloaking device on board in the first place." My shroedinger humans are purebreds.

One possible problem with that is Tsuirakushiti's magic saturation level. Tsuirakushiti seems to be by far the most magically advanced human population that we know of. If we can trust what Meji said then most people in Tsuirakushiti should be capable of using at least a little magic, while it seems that magic use is rather rare in other parts of the human world.

When Sarine explained the creation of the half elves she mentioned that some of them were incapable of using magic which would imply that it was a defect rather then a standard of the race. I don't recall hearing of any elves that couldn't use magic so the inability to use magic would appear to come from the human race.

So for most of Tsuirakushiti to be capable of using at least a little magic while remaining pure human seems out of place from what we have learned of the various races.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:49 pm 
Local

Came to think about a thing:

Human are unaffectedby the gods refuges barriers.

Obviously mage skill, knowlegde and power weren't really a common thing in those old nations otherwise the cult of lumina wouldn't have been so succesfull.

So, how come the lumina's church succeded creating a thing with so much magic concentration and power.

Or may be they had an head-start, something with already huge power,that they couldn't understand, but somehow primitivly manipulate under a very raw form... ...something that they might have found in an abbandon ruin, without any protection or barrier of any sort or so that they known about...

Last edited by Neko7 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:00 am 
Local

Mord wrote:
normalphil wrote:

One possible problem with that is Tsuirakushiti's magic saturation level. Tsuirakushiti seems to be by far the most magically advanced human population that we know of. If we can trust what Meji said then most people in Tsuirakushiti should be capable of using at least a little magic, while it seems that magic use is rather rare in other parts of the human world.

When Sarine explained the creation of the half elves she mentioned that some of them were incapable of using magic which would imply that it was a defect rather then a standard of the race. I don't recall hearing of any elves that couldn't use magic so the inability to use magic would appear to come from the human race.

So for most of Tsuirakushiti to be capable of using at least a little magic while remaining pure human seems out of place from what we have learned of the various races.

In this strip : http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2007-01-22

It's said "Susan is like, unable to do magic or something..."
suggesting that this is not common for half-elf.

At the same time it's said "her pop was one of the few mage that the town had"
That could be eared as 'no common magic'
but also as 'one of the few who had took the time to study magic intead of working at something that directly bring food to the familly table'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:28 am 
Tourist

That this thread title is not "death from above" bothers me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:42 am 
Local

Graybeard wrote:
normalphil wrote:
Graybeard wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
(emphasis added)

I was going to let it slide, but...

Assuming each person in Tsuiraku has exactly two biological parents, as did each of their ancestors, the denominator in that fraction is going to have to be an exponent of 2. 1/64-Elven is plausible, for example. (That's one Elven ancestor six generations back.)

(And no, I'm not a math major. I just like exponents of 2.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:35 am 
Local

What happened to BoOT? I see exiled soul with the same picture and am now worried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:17 am 
Local

Mord wrote:
normalphil wrote:

Not really. We know magic ability has some genetic component. This has been mentioned by Anita, that was disgusted at how the church would let them take all the gifted youngsters. If magic was randomly distributed, it wouldn't matter how many they take, they'd keep appearing all over the population.

Given this, it is only to be expected that a city seeded with the best human mages available would then flourish into a magically advanced society. Their magic per capita would necessarily be far above the norm.

Add to it that they were able to carry on their culture from the golden age, while the rest of the humans fell into a dark age when the elves kicked them out (so much so that they forgot everything that happened just 2000 years previous), and the largest world power if magephobic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:04 pm 
Local

BloodHenge wrote:
Graybeard wrote:
normalphil wrote:
Graybeard wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
(emphasis added)

I was going to let it slide, but...

Assuming each person in Tsuiraku has exactly two biological parents, as did each of their ancestors, the denominator in that fraction is going to have to be an exponent of 2. 1/64-Elven is plausible, for example. (That's one Elven ancestor six generations back.)

What if someone has, randomly choosing, a half-elven great-great -grandparent and a half-elven great-great-great grandparent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:53 pm 
Expatriate

Killjoy wrote:
The person making the point wrote:
Slamlander wrote:

What if someone has, randomly choosing, a half-elven great-great -grandparent and a half-elven great-great-great grandparent?

Yeah, if my maths play correctly, 1/54th parentage is technically possible... although it'd require some sexual gymnastics, and not in the pleasant way...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next