ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:20 am 
Local

MUAHAHAHA IT R ELFS!

I am so frickin' bad ass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:09 am 
Local

I'm going to postulate that Ian, powermad and crazed from the presence of Anilis, is seeking to destroy Emerylon only to tear apart their libraries and whatever may be left from the Heretical Vault to find information on something that would be very important to the goddess residing within him -- namely, Senilis.

Since Anilis doesn't seem to be omniscient, nor able to grant Ian such a power, even she would need the help of human texts to locate the tomb of Senilis, assuming he, too, is entombed as she was and is likely the same mass of energy that can be absorbed.

Now, for the obligatory, "ewwww, if he has them both inside, are they going to be doing it inside his body?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:10 am 
Local

Hmm, I'm wondering if that could be Anilis taking the form of Ian - perhaps he is slumped over in a glade somewhere unconscious while Anilis roams free.

I'm hoping that "what-once-was-Ian" will just stick to destroying the Church and seat of power. I'm not sure if the masses will particularly care if that institution is gone. If he starts razing the city, then he will be Public Enemy Number one for the forseeable milleniums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:11 am 
Local

That actually makes a fair deal of sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:58 am 
Local

First reaction:

:-o "...Oh dear."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:22 am 
Local

Destichado wrote:
That actually makes a fair deal of sense.

We see Ian growing those elf-ears, in realtime, in http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2007-03-07. In light of that, I'm re-interpeting "Goddammit No! No!!" away from a cry of unbalanced rage at being unable to resurrect Lyn, and more towards the last words Ian says before Ian Really Doesn't Live Here Anymore. That's probably the same meat-suit. And the new personality likely doesn't give a damn about the Veracian theological hierchy. Something it wants is in the temple of Luminosita. It's taking it. All other nuances irrelevant.

(something that argues against 'that was the goddess modifying Ian's body as it went to full possession' is that while he turned into an elf, he's still male. Now Ian hates elves, with pressing and well-thought-out reasons- it's not the Goddess, and it's not Ian either. Brand new elven deity, I think.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:35 am 
Local

normalphil wrote:
(something that argues against 'that was the goddess modifying Ian's body as it went to full possession' is that while he turned into an elf, he's still male. Now Ian hates elves, with pressing and well-thought-out reasons- it's not the Goddess, and it's not Ian either. Brand new elven deity, I think.)

Exitialis?

But how?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:15 am 
Addict

Ian may hate the elves, but they're also a great deal more durable than half elves. Could be he set about "improving" his condition, and just wound up at elf, which didn't likely leave him more sane.

Also, I hesitate to suggest this because I can think of no way to phrase it cleanly, but what if his body fiddled with its own settings without his conscious direction? A great deal of our functions happen without our ever really being aware or directing them, and it's possible that being supercharged means that the part of his brain that usually directs things is just a lot more able to do that now, and is therefore seeking a stable state where it has the least work to do, without defying the primary purpose of, you know... staying alive. So every time he overdoes it, the repairs try to prevent future issues of the same type, and thus... semi-elfed.

Or, the longer ears could mean something totally different, and be no more than a manifestation of his increased sensory awareness. He might not have even noticed them yet.

^-^'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:40 am 
Local

All I could think was.... Tetsuooooooo!!!

Akira for the un-initiated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:42 am 
Addict

KAAAAAAANEEEEEEEEEEEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

"Oh, look who it is / It's my supportive wife/ And she thinks she's going to squeal/ Hey where do you think you're going?/ Don't you walk away from me/ You put down that telephone /You're not calling anyone"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:53 am 

Rusty wrote:

interesting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:03 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Imp-Chan wrote:
Also, I hesitate to suggest this because I can think of no way to phrase it cleanly, but what if his body fiddled with its own settings without his conscious direction? A great deal of our functions happen without our ever really being aware or directing them, and it's possible that being supercharged means that the part of his brain that usually directs things is just a lot more able to do that now, and is therefore seeking a stable state where it has the least work to do, without defying the primary purpose of, you know... staying alive. So every time he overdoes it, the repairs try to prevent future issues of the same type, and thus... semi-elfed.

I just re-read Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny, where he introduces exactly that concept. After a reincarnation, the brain adjusts the new body to re-enable the demi-god's special attributes and aspect. It's a brain-molds-the-body sort of thing. In that story, the old mind will eventually adjust the new body to be an exact replica of the original. The more differences, the longer it'll take.

That story is set in a Hindustani culture complete with immortality through high-tech mind transfers into specially grown replacement bodies.

The reason I re-acquired the book is because I wanted to see how Zelazny handled his superman problem, as I have one of my own. He also introduces some interesting concepts, in a technology-masquerading-as-magic sort of way.

It's his first book (1967) and also his best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:51 pm 
n00b

Similar to Impy's suggestion, I had an idea about the elfication of Ian.

The idea centers around the issue of durability. Assumption the first is that we can think of "Human" and "Elven" flesh/genetics/etc separately when evaluating a half-elf subject. Assumption the second is that we set the durability of Human and Elven flesh/etc at something roughly equal. It's not an important assumption. (ed. Actually, let's flip that. Assume that Elven flesh is more durable than human flesh.)

Idea the first: The sheer amount of power Ian is channeling is burning through his physical body. Just tearing it up, running the system super-charged.

Idea the second: Either as a passive magical restoration thingy, or as an extension of the Elven regeneration (which takes the form of the body resetting itself every few hours), Ian's body is able to keep up with this, due to the same immense power being channeled through his body.

Idea the third, possibly my conclusion: The Goddess-power isn't trying to make Ian it her own image, nor is it trying directly to make him into an elf. What it's doing is burning away out the human side of his body, then healing him based on what's left: An increasingly more elven body.

If this makes sense, please tell me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:21 pm 
n00b

It makes sense. You would of course have to go with your modified assumption, that elven tissues are more resistant to magical damage and/or regular wear and tear, but that is a reasonable assumption based on their lifespan.

Of course, of all the theories, only one would be given as poe's explanation, if there is one ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:03 pm 
Local

Rusty wrote:
KAAAAAAANEEEEEEEEEEEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sure, blame Kaneda...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:11 pm 
Expatriate

:-o I'm sorry, but Ian isn't home at the moment. Please leave a message with Deranged Diety Answering Service and he'll be sure to call you back once he's been properly reincarnated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:13 pm 
Tourist

[delurk] It's official Ian Samaels theme song is now,The One Winged Angle! end of line. [relurk]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:36 pm 
Addict

Sorcerer wrote:
[delurk] It's official Ian Samaels theme song is now,The One Winged Angle! end of line. [relurk]
those one winged angles can be quite acute

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:37 pm 
n00b

I do not approve!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:36 pm 
Addict

Location: In front of the computer, doing things best left undescribed
"Next time, on DRAGON. BALL. Z!"

Pyro: Noun. Practicioner of the ancient and gentle arts of burning shit down and blowing shit up.

DNI'd by actor_au

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next