ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help requested...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:31 pm 
Addict

Poe and I are working on relettering all of the old comics, for a number of reasons. Unfortunately, when he first did those comics, Poe merged the text layers to the point where they can't be edited easily, and we don't actually have scripts for all the old comics, so up until the end of Volume Three needs to be transcribed before we can do anything. Volume Four marks the ever-so-wonderful start of editable dialogue bubbles in our files, so from there out we should be fine without transcripts.

I originally thought I'd have time to get all this done myself, but as it turns out, I don't even close to have time. We'd like to get all the old comics relettered by August 15th, so if someone had a LOT of free time between then and now, and wanted to get us transcripts by, say, August 8th, that would be an awesometastic miracle of helpfulness. Otherwise, we'll just move the project to the back burner and work on it for next year.

Anyone here bored and possessing near-infinite free time?

^-^'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:46 pm 
Addict

I would help but am only on the computer for about 2 hours a day and most of that is spent waiting to be called to help my mom.

Post subject: Re: Help requested...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:47 am 
Local

Imp-Chan wrote:
Unfortunately, when he first did those comics, Poe merged the text layers to the point where they can't be edited easily, and we don't actually have scripts for all the old comics, so up until the end of Volume Three needs to be transcribed before we can do anything. Volume Four marks the ever-so-wonderful start of editable dialogue bubbles in our files, so from there out we should be fine without transcripts.

O.o ??

You say Volume Three ??

There is only 2 volume (book) availiable right know.

Do you mean Chpt 3 & Chpt 4 ??

Or do you mean everything that is in Volume 1, 2, and what will be in volume 3 ?

In that case can you give the ending chpt of this book?
(and if anything have been done yet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:43 am 
Addict

Here's a rough guide to where we're at so far:

PART ONE

Volume One: Prologue - Chapter 4
Volume Two: Chapter 5 - Chapter 10
Volume Three: Chapter 10- Chapter 18

PART TWO

Volume Four: Chapter 19 - Chapter 26
Volume Five: Chapter 27 - Now

^-^'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:53 pm 
n00b

So just to make sure I have this correctly, write down all the text in chapters prologue - chapter 18. In any old sort of text file? One file, seperate files for each comic? Do you want the bubbles attributed in any specific way? Meji: "I love errant story" or Meji, panel one, bubble 1: "I love errant story" or just "I love errant story"?

I make no promises about actually doing anything. <.< Would be a lot more fun if my volumes 1 & 2 arrived already. Ordered them on july 20th, so we're at roughly 10 business days, not yet time to panic, but soon ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:50 pm 
Addict

We'd prefer it all to be in one large, easy-to edit file, rather than separate files for each page. In this case it isn't necessary to distinguish between the characters, though if you want to follow a standard script format such as the one found <a href="http://www.darkhorse.com/company/submissions.php#writers">here,</a> you're welcome to do so. All we really need for this project is for everything to be typed out and divided by bubble, by panel, and by page. A marker when we change chapters would be nice, but again in this case it isn't strictly necessary.

Poe has been writing each update's dialogue over the previous page's dialogue in the same word file since about halfway through Exploitation Now. He says it's for good luck. I say, next time he decides to write a 1500 page graphic novel series, he's typing it all out first to save us a LOT of time and trouble. At least he's no longer flattening the dialogue to the point where we have to redo it to edit it (thus the stopping at Volume Three... by Volume Four he'd started leaving the dialogue as text layers). It's progress.

^-^'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:43 pm 
n00b

Alright, I must sadly admit defeat. I started, and transcribed the prologue and chapter one. Sadly, the all too familiar tension in my left hand is returning, and I don't want to end up crippled before my 25th birthday, so...

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhgg8vm8_4dk5whb

It should be viewable/savable to all (you may have to just highlight the text and copy/paste, I don't know. I entired it all in good ol' notepad, so there's no fancy formatting. comic numbers are given as ---X, and text is initial case. If you want it in all caps, I imagine most advanced text editors will convert documents to all upper case in one function call.

Let me know if you find any errors, have any feed, back, want to worship me as a god, etc. Probably not, since I only got two chapters done, but nevertheless, I still am accepting sexual favors. Thank you.

If anyone wants to continue from chapter 2 onwards, please do so. I copied errors as they were in the wiki thread. If I noticed errors that are not in the wiki yet, I noted them. Here's a copy of my notes:

***notes***
In general, errors noticed that are in the wiki already are not included.

January 10, 2003, chapter 1 comic 28: "suppose" should be supposed. Not in wiki.

december 25, 2002: chap1 comic 22: missing "this" or "your" where sic is. This is in the wiki (which suggests your. Your is probably better, although "this" is what occured to me when I read the text). Also, megalomaniac should likely be megalomaniacal or megalomanic. This is not in the wiki. Bubble size could be an issue.

december 16, 2002: chap 1 comic 17: missing "to" where [sic] is present. Not in wiki.

Any words not in speech bubbles, including sounds, are not included. example: december 23, 2002: OH PLEASE!!! is not considered text. Some can go either way though, as things like "Oof!" (after a crash) did get a bubble, and are included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:56 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Imp-Chan wrote:
We'd prefer it all to be in one large, easy-to edit file, rather than separate files for each page. In this case it isn't necessary to distinguish between the characters, though if you want to follow a standard script format such as the one found <a href="http://www.darkhorse.com/company/submissions.php#writers">here,</a> you're welcome to do so. All we really need for this project is for everything to be typed out and divided by bubble, by panel, and by page. A marker when we change chapters would be nice, but again in this case it isn't strictly necessary.

Poe has been writing each update's dialogue over the previous page's dialogue in the same word file since about halfway through Exploitation Now. He says it's for good luck. I say, next time he decides to write a 1500 page graphic novel series, he's typing it all out first to save us a LOT of time and trouble. At least he's no longer flattening the dialogue to the point where we have to redo it to edit it (thus the stopping at Volume Three... by Volume Four he'd started leaving the dialogue as text layers). It's progress.

^-^'

Might I suggest that we carve out some pace on the wiki and do the work there. We run less risk of duplication and you get immediate results. Plus, it becomes available to the wiki's search engine. Seriously, if we're going through this effort then we might as well maximise our returns.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]