ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:09 am 
n00b

Ged wrote:
If Lumi' is just a magical construct there's always the chance that they could make another one. Still I've a feeling that above ground might be a giant smoking crater, in which case whether there was anyone left to witness the dispelling is an interesting matter.

Matter would be the term for the various atoms that are now floating about, remnants, that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:23 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Kest wrote:
Imp-Chan wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
Real gods do not need religious magic in order to manifest themselves, as they are entities in their own right. It's only god constructs that need to be the focus of worshippers...

See, I would say the exact opposite is true. Real gods are exclusively the product of worship and faith, and their power is limited and directed as a result of that worship and faith. This is not because they as dieties have limited potential or perception, it is because they are bound inextricably to their worshippers. A true god's potential for power is unlimited not because of their essential nature but because that power is a product of faith. They have no true free will or omnipotence because they are limited by the vision of their worshippers, but that worship makes them not merely a directionless "super-powerful being," but a god... a focus for potentially infinite faith and a force of order within the universe.

Yeah this system has been used in many settings - Forgotten Realms, American Gods, etc.

There are no absolutes in fantasy, Slamlander.

:-?

Itterind wrote:
As a monotheist trinitarian Christian my view on what is a 'true God' would have to be a single omnipotent being, 'a creator of all' with 'infinite power'.

Slamlander wrote:

Possible. It depends on how the author wants to use this particular plot device. Usually, without a focus, the energy is simply dissipated because the focus has to be active. The priesthood is there to provide activation and, in this case, direction.

A minor quibble and clarification, the context was plot devices and gods are only yet another plot device and I was only decribing one standard model. Authors don't have to stick to any standard models; I certainly don't. :wink:

My specific current theistic plot device has a background I call The Life Cycles of gods. It's in a word doc and I don't even have it on my own wikis because it's too much of a spoiler. :wink:

Imp-Chan wrote:
The comics appear to be pretty standard stuff with nice cover art, though the intros for each volume seem a little over-dramatic, I think.

A link: http://lalunenoire.dargaud.com/

I thank you both Neko and Impy.

Impy: What you stated is yet another theistic model. In mine, the Goddess is the Universe and the Universe is the Goddess. As a direct result, she can be anywhere or multiple 'where's simultaneously. Yes, it's a hell of a Superman problem and I did come up with a non-contrived answer, going back to Lifecycles of Gods. But as another point, she doesn't need, and has no use for, worshippers. Only the fake gods need worshippers. Angels worship an Angelic God and in return, he keeps them enraptured, much to the annoyance of the real Goddess. Yes, by your definition, the Goddess is only yet another emensely powerful being but don't kill this one because the universe won't survive the experience. Again, just another theistic model (he quickly says, hoping to avoid a religion-based melt-down).

Neither model is definitive and both, in their context, are correct. They are just tools and possibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:33 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Oh yeah, one more item;

In the Wiki, I want to recategorise Luminosita as a Magical Device or Spell.

I am drifting more in the direction of Spell, since he isn't tied to a specific object.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:01 am 
Expatriate

Wait who the hell is in panel 2 and why is he so grimly calm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:10 am 
Addict

Kest wrote:
Yeah this system has been used in many settings - Forgotten Realms, American Gods, etc.

Madness! Fantasy is based upon specific conventions that can never be changed! Never!

"Oh, look who it is / It's my supportive wife/ And she thinks she's going to squeal/ Hey where do you think you're going?/ Don't you walk away from me/ You put down that telephone /You're not calling anyone"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:25 am 
Addict

KurtDunn wrote:

A Gewehr Wraith?

Because he is waiting for the other boot to drop?

Remember that order Anita gave out? Well, they failed and the Gewehr are climbing the church's hierarchy tree to find the true top. Either that, or Jeramel is the hit. In anycase, he looks altogether too nonplussed to be a believer in Luminosita.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:56 am 
Green Text

Rusty wrote:
Kest wrote:

Madness! Fantasy is based upon specific conventions that can never be changed! Never!

Madness?

This is Slamlander!

Post subject: God down!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:36 am 
Local

Ian kicks arse! Always knew he'd do some good one day.

Still say he needs to get laid. Preferably with some equivalent super-being.

Post subject: Re: God down!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:55 am 
Addict

ri[[3r wrote:
Ian kicks arse! Always knew he'd do some good one day.

Still say he needs to get laid. Preferably with some equivalent super-being.

He's getting continually stroked by Anilis. Isn't that good enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:54 pm 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
KurtDunn wrote:

A Gewehr Wraith?

Remember that order Anita gave out? Well, they failed and the Gewehr are climbing the church's hierarchy tree to find the true top. Either that, or Jeramel is the hit. In anycase, he looks altogether too nonplussed to be a believer in Luminosita.

Remember the other order Anita gave? Could be a monk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:19 pm 
Local

No One wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:
Labrat wrote:
psianogen wrote:
Wow, so thats what happens when your god fails his saving throw.

Hmm. In D&D our DM ruled that gods are affected just like everybody else on 1s and 20s. No matter what.

Through sheer luck, a god got his ass handed to him by a kobold after a truely outrageous series of rolls. This feels sort of like that... with less of a confused god sitting in the corner in a fetal ball rocking and eating his hair. Though hopefully the priests will make up for this dearth of hair-eatery. Mmm. Hair.

Is it a good sign when you make the pope cry?

A kobold beating a god? Not that surprising. After all, the most powerful character ever is a kobold.

Do I want to know this story?

Probably not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:22 pm 
Addict

Oh god Pun Pun, our group leader came to a session using that character. After many laughs at its construction it was banned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:51 pm 
Expatriate

Slamlander wrote:
Oh yeah, one more item;

In the Wiki, I want to recategorise Luminosita as a Magical Device or Spell.

I am drifting more in the direction of Spell, since he isn't tied to a specific object.

I doubt we've seen a tenth of the various magical "thingies" in the ES universe (If you'll excuse me getting technical here). As long as he's alone, it's fine to stick him wherever...

Alas, he's probably not the only one, either... just the biggest most popular one. Now that he's been taken offline for "savior maintanance", maybe we'll see even more of them. Then his big glowy uselessness will need a different category... like Avatar or something, since that's what he essentially is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:22 pm 
Local

That pun-pun.. could have some interesting applications.. yessssss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:42 pm 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
KurtDunn wrote:

A Gewehr Wraith?

Oh you guys are asses! I asked the same question and no one said a damn thing. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:42 pm 
Addict

finalcarrots wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
KurtDunn wrote:

A Gewehr Wraith?

Oh you guys are asses! I asked the same question and no one said a damn thing. :P

That's because we all have the attention span of ferrets ...ooooh .... shiney-glowy!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:34 pm 
Local

finalcarrots wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
KurtDunn wrote:

A Gewehr Wraith?

LIAR!

Neko7 wrote:
finalcarrots wrote:
Who is the guard slouching against the wall with a very knowing look on his face?

Yep, seems like Jerry's been faking it for quite a while. Head of the Veracian church of False Gods, corrupt? Surely not! ::tongue in cheek::

I was wondering the same thing. May be a time Ninja in disguise, that will let the rest of the village know what happen much faster than anticipated (also might try it(time magic) on Ian)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:41 pm 
Expatriate

I find you... guilty.

Now to use my amazing Moderator powers to turn you into... A CHICKEN!!!

(Looks at Impy, who is shaking her head and pointing at AVM's contract)

...oh, come on... how about a newt, at least?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:53 am 
Tourist

Slamlander wrote:
It's consistent with religious magic, where worshipers feed energy into a focus ...

Made me think of Sacred Cow, but apparently something distracted me from linking to it. Until now. :-D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3