ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:53 pm 
Addict

I like to ask random questions, so here's my first poll. What's your favorite RPG, and what system is it on?

I'll go first. I'd have to say the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale group of games for PC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:57 pm 
Local

Please don't post things like this in the ES forum. That is what the Unrelated Stuff forum is for.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaiser Dragon on 2002-11-22 17:00 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:26 pm 
Expatriate

This is, I agree, totally unrelated, but on the other hand that is part of the fun of message boards. And I can't let something like this just slide...

Now, speaking as something of a Puritan and a traditionalist when it comes to RPGs, I have to say I find the classification of things like Baldur's Gate as "role-playing games" to be somewhat flawed. To me role-playing game indicates total freedom of action within your character's personality. In a role-playing game, when Bobo the Great Wizard tells you to fetch him the red orb, you can decide that your character doesn't want to fetch him the red orb, tell him to sod off, and set up a nice little tavern in the town, maybe find yourself a wife, whatver. Or you can just go try your luck with another employer. But in most PC games, there's always a point where you have to perform some specific action to make the storyline progress, even if you'd rather not. Similarly, even if your character is a cold-blooded killer of an adventurer (which they all seem to be), you can't just wack Bobo and take all the other treasure he's got instead of the red orb.

So please, hop on the traditionalist bandwagon--if it doesn't allow you total freedom of action to the extent of your characters ability, don't call it an RPG!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:32 pm 
Addict

By RPG, I'm referring to computer/video game ones. Maybe I just forgot to say that? I wouldn't want to start a roleplaying system argument here... could get pretty nasty. Yes, I do realize that these games are quite linear. But, that doesn't mean you can't have a favorite =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:20 am 
n00b

Unless you've been living under a rock :wink: you should know that there are also computer/console RPG's that are highly non-linear, such as Elder Scrolls 3, a.k.a. "Morrowind". But of course you'll never reach the same level of freedom as with a real DM running a game of PnP RPG.

To answer your question though (and I do believe I mentioned this in another thread(?)), my fave is Xenogears (PSX). Almost totally linear, but with a kickass story. ^^

/Sun'

*edit: took out some spellign erorrs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sunbane on 2002-11-22 23:23 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:26 am 
Addict

Cool. Someone who actually takes out spelling errors... and yes, there are non-linear games, but they're few and far between. Even then, they tend to seem too... unstructured, sort of. You don't know what to do next, and you can get stuck for a long time. Finding a balance between constant prompting and total freedom of choice is the solution...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:41 am 
Local

[pimpmode]

So far, the best RPG I've played has to be at Dark Age, The only real problem being that it involves getting acopy of UO, and, understandibly, a lot of people HATE UO.

Of course, this manages to actually make Ultima Online rather fun.

It's pretty hardcore roleplaying as far as going over a computer goes. By this I mean it's pretty much enforced that you HAVE to roleplay, which means actually in-game interactions, and no hacking apart the first guy who walks out of town screaming "G1v3 M3 ph47 13w7z Fu><><0r!!!!!". There's an ongoing plot, not ot mention some plots based on your character background, and general sadiscic Game-Master abuse involving decaying dead things and sheep.

If you put time into it, it's pretty deep, hell the character I've had on there for a year started out as a naieve paladin-wannabe in his early 20's, and now he's settled down, gotten married (to another PC), and is semi-retired, just wanting to raise his family in peace.

Enough about my obsession now...

[/pimpmode]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:23 am 
n00b

Favorite traditional RPG: Baldur's Gate 2
Simply perfect :grin: Great plot, some freedom, the infinity engine at it's best, and you actually get to turn into a clawed monstrous beast-creature-avatar-thing and rip everything apart when all else fails :grin: :grin:

Favorite japanese RPG: Chrono Trigger
great story, memorable characters and TEH MUSIC!!!! Frog's orchestral theme has been owning my soul since I made the mistake of downloading it, and uses me as it's sex slave ever since. (ok maybe not :razz: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 11:51 am 
Local

I don't play pen-and-pencil RPGs because no-one else in my town plays them, and my handwriting sucks besides. I don't play American-based CRPGs because they're usually too unwieldy for my horrible computer to play at a decent framerate, and are too heavily reliant on the D & D system, which I don't think translates that well to the realm of computers. In terms of Japanese RPGs, I've played dozens, but my favorites have to be Final Fantasy 5 and Tactics, and Lunar 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 11:52 am 
Addict

If you can't play PnP, do it via chatroom. That's what I do, cuz I live in Loserville, Connecticut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:12 pm 
Local

Hey, same here! People living in the various loserville, connecticuts, unite!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:15 pm 
Addict

What's the 'official' name of your Loserville? Mine's the one that the Krispy Kreme opened in =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:23 pm 
Addict

There's a good non linear RPG called "Fallout 2"...

"No one says a novel has to be one thing. It can be anything it wants to be, a vaudeville show, the six o'clock news, the mumblings of wild men saddled by demons." -Ishmael Reed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:42 pm 
Local

And Fallout1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:44 pm 
Addict

Heard Fallout was good, will get it if I see it in a bargain bin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:31 pm 
Expatriate

Ya know, I just realized that Eronarn's avatar reminds me of a really poorly drawn version of that really scary scene in Neon Genesis Evangelion where all you see are Unit 01's eyes glowing out of the rain of blood and internal organ bits just after she's come tearing out of Lelil...anyway, that was totally irrelevant.

I guess my favorite electronicadventure game would have to be the original Secret of Mana...I used to play it at a friend's house when I was in second and third grade or something like that, so it's got happy memories for me. Now I've got an emulator on my computer (no TV means no game systems, unfortunatly) that I've played through a couple of times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:34 pm 
Addict

No idea what you're talking about in the first part. I don't watch any anime. But that's besides the point- don't you recognize Tallest Red?!

As for the second part, I never had the game, but played it at my aunt's house. Good game, was fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:42 am 
Tourist

Bah… His avatar reminds me of those shadow things in Kingdom Hearts.

I hated Baldur’s Gate and Ice Windale… I got bored after I left the first town. I’m a big fan of nearly every game by Squaresoft that I’ve played. Mostly because the story lines actually get you involved to some degree. As for computer rpgs Fallout 2 was fabulous, so were Torment, and Never Winter Nights. Unfortunately it’s been nearly impossible to find someone who wants to script and DM an NWN game. I’ve tried a few MMORPG’s but for the most part it’s just a bunch of tools running around being… well… tools. Not to mention most have little or no actual Role Playing. I recently got into Earth and Beyond and found my self wasting hours flying around space for a few measly credits. Now that game fails as an RPG in every sense. It’s barely even a game. I hope Star Wars Galaxies isn’t such a let down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:53 am 
Addict

Yous should try Balders Gate again. i at first had the same reaction of 'geez what the fuck am i doing in this village' and got bored with the game. however after i saw into a bit of the story from a friend i got sucked into it. My only gripe is: You never get that much Exp from killing enemies... all the big experience is from Doing Quests, but i'm just too used to Final Fantasy... i want to run around and hack monsters till my level goes up (but the quests are a great deal of fun. I'd rather play Balders gate anyday over Diablo which is an ok game to me)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:17 pm 
Addict

Feh! E&B rocks. You don't get any meat of the story till higher levels, and some classes get more. Try asking around, you *will* find quests. Some of the game can get pretty disturbing... Same with Baldur's Gate

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next