ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:26 pm 
Addict

As much as I love Final Fantasy, and as much as I adore Shining Force, I have to say Breath of Fire. Specifically 3 and 4. I haven't had the chance to play 1 & 2, which is quite sad. Maybe I'll get the GBA versions... Breath of Fire has all these hybrids running around the place... :grin: If I could, I'd marry Momo and have all these half-bunny (or quarter-bunny) kids...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:32 pm 
Tourist

Quote:
On 2002-11-24 18:17, Eronarn wrote:
Feh! E&B rocks. You don't get any meat of the story till higher levels, and some classes get more. Try asking around, you *will* find quests. Some of the game can get pretty disturbing... Same with Baldur's Gate

What on earth are you talking about? I played one guy up to level 75 and the story line was lame. what every player does has no affect on the universe or the game itself. Which is where all MMORPGS have failed so far. E&B needs to solve it's mindless wandering problems... until then i'll wait for SWG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:07 am 
Tourist

Quote:
On 2002-11-24 18:26, Dominic wrote:
As much as I love Final Fantasy, and as much as I adore Shining Force, I have to say Breath of Fire. Specifically 3 and 4. I haven't had the chance to play 1 & 2, which is quite sad. Maybe I'll get the GBA versions... Breath of Fire has all these hybrids running around the place... :grin: If I could, I'd marry Momo and have all these half-bunny (or quarter-bunny) kids...

BoF 1 is a lot of fun, one of my fave RPG's ever, BUT, the game is made really really easy by a tag-out system similar to that of FFX, only with inactive members levelling as normal. (Maybe a small hit? I don't notice.) It's a bit too easy to just tag out a member who's out of AP or low on HP instead of trying to work around the problem or heal them. But, I like the characters better than I liked the ones in 2 or 3 (never played 4) - Nina (there's always a Nina) actually kicks ass.

BoF 2 is a very good game, with some of the most distinctive characters in console RPG's in terms of differnt folks having different styles and personalities. Town building is nifty, and the battle system is pretty well done, correcting the flaw I mentioned above. Unfortunately, its length (in some ways a plus) actually detracts from the plot. You spend hours on the cliched "must do errand for the sole purpose of being allowed through this town to continue of my journey". Without spoiling anything, you get an objective like an hour and a half into the game, and 20 hours later you're still running random errands in pursuit of that objective, having spent so long that you may not even remember WHY you wanted to go through this guy's castle so badly. It DOES introduce the characters, again a nifty bunch, though some are pretty useless, but I felt it dragged. Ah well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:51 am 
Addict

Breath of fire 4 was my fave. after that breath of fire 2 (i mean breath of fire 2 had Kat, a cat girl who wore NO PANTS!! oh man she was in party Forever; her and Nina cause Nina was sexy too.)

My fave dragon system was Breath of Fire 3, where You turn Into the dragons... though breath of fire 4 had the cool 'Watch me power up into Super Sayai Jin mode!!!' which was also cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:01 am 
Addict

BoF 4 had the kickass opening sequence with Fu-lou making his sword appear in his hand (with a nifty sonic screech sound effect) while delivering his Evil Manifesto. Then, it had Ryu countering with the Good Guy Rallying Speech with typical enthusiasm. But it was all spoken in Japanese with no subtitles. I thought the voice-acting was still well-done.

The actual game was so funny... Momo is a 'master' NPC in this one, and she teaches people... How to fall asleep in combat! *chuckle* Someone like Nina would go: "Oyasumi nasai!" and catch the Z's right in the middle of battle...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:06 pm 
Tourist

Quote:
On 2002-11-22 16:53, Eronarn wrote:
What's your favorite RPG

Gammaworld or Battletech

Quote:
, and what system is it on?

The kitchen table.

I even had the pencil/paper expansion pack and the hard-to-find 100 sided die.

Happiness is a hermit who lives on a hill an speaks to no one. Joy is the money that he buries in the yard and forgets where it is. He dies and all the neighbors of the world come digging, finding nothing, but at least they had their little daydream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:32 pm 
Addict

PnP rocks. Making my own D20 ruleset campaign as soon as I find the time. It'll be an industrial world, but the intervention of the gods has prevented MOST technology from going past early guns. Swords are much more common. A bunch of mercenary guilds (30+) control the huge city, which is about the size of the entire Northeast United States. The top floor of the city, where all the rich people live, is approx. 80 stories up from the bottom floor, which is totally unknown. The heroes start off being in an affluent guild, where they get their beginning quest + story hook... but then the guild gets destroyed, leaving only the heroes alive. The heroes are being pursued through the concrete jungle of the city, will they make it to their objective?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:09 am 
Addict

I'm a lazy ass. I prefer to let the compuz0rs do the rolling and numbers-crunching for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:13 am 
Addict

Quote:
On 2002-11-25 15:32, Eronarn wrote:
PnP rocks. Making my own D20 ruleset campaign as soon as I find the time. It'll be an industrial world, but the intervention of the gods has prevented MOST technology from going past early guns. Swords are much more common. A bunch of mercenary guilds (30+) control the huge city, which is about the size of the entire Northeast United States. The top floor of the city, where all the rich people live, is approx. 80 stories up from the bottom floor, which is totally unknown. The heroes start off being in an affluent guild, where they get their beginning quest + story hook... but then the guild gets destroyed, leaving only the heroes alive. The heroes are being pursued through the concrete jungle of the city, will they make it to their objective?

YOINK!

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:39 pm 
Local

Remind me never to post my story world idea on this board :razz:

BLM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:59 pm 
Tourist

DAMNNNNNN there are too many good ones out there.

Well my fav. classic console RPG is got to be Chrono Trigger. Love the characters, love the story, love the weapons.

My fav. 32-bit console RPGs are XenoGears, Panzer Dragoon Saga, but not final yet because I haven't got a chance to play Lunar and Shining Force 3 (still can't find that game)

My fav. PC RPG so far is Neverwinter Nights then Baldur's Gate 2 and its expansion.

PnP is cool, but when your DM is an immature asshole who likes to abuse powers, its gets l4m3 fast. And it also creates anger management problems....

Just a Thought :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:08 pm 
Addict

KC, I didn't even post the meat of the story. But here's one major mechanic I'm adding- Implants! You can get metal plates, spikes, claws, etc. grafted onto your skin, and you can also get magical tattoos (1.5-3x cost, acts as a magic item of the same type. Imagine a +5 Vorpal Longsword tattoo- sever heads with a punch!). And feel free to take it =) I won't make it till at least summer. When I do make it though, if you're interested, you can join (running over OpenRPG)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:12 pm 
Expatriate

Wheee, gotta dig the Tabletop... My favorite system in terms of setting has gotta be Shadowrun. My favorite system in terms of play is probably D&D 3rd, but mostly because I know it the best.

Eronarn> Hmmmm, massive sprawling city, run by merc guilds, with implants, but only low technology. It's like a cyberpunk plot and setting transplanted into the steampunk era. Sw33t...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:15 pm 
Addict

The funny part is, I'm not into either Cyberpunk or Steampunk, and I've never played any game dealing with either... 0_0 I got a lot of the inspiration from Necromunda, actually, but then I added things to make it even MORE evil. Like the Ventilator Wraiths. They're large, insectoid creatures, kinda like large centipedes... but they have scything, blade-like claws for arms, and rear up to attack, reaching over 8 feet in height and about 10 in length.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:52 am 
Expatriate

Quote:
On 2002-11-25 14:06, FUna wrote:
I even had the pencil/paper expansion pack and the hard-to-find 100 sided die.

I really hope you only bought the d100 as a weapon of last resort whenever tempers got heated and people started throwing dice.

See, 'cause if you thought you needed it for the game, you'd be a moron.

Because 2d10 work just as well...

[note for non-tabletop role-players] To roll against a percentage (generally used in game to determine whether or not you sucessfully perform an action or skill, although there are many other uses as well), one takes two ten sided dice (ideally different colors), designates one as the tens place and one as the ones place, and rolls. Then one sticks the numbers together; if it's under the probability of sucess (i.e. you roll a five and a seven when you had a seventy-five percent chance of sucess) you suceed. Of course, this can also be done with only one ten-sided die; one simply rolls it twice (once for tens and once for ones). The only advantage of a full, 100-sided die is that, should an argument breaks out between players, no one will dare throw a die at you in a fit of pique. d30s concuss; d100s cripple.[/note for non-tabletop role-players]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 3:23 am 
Expatriate

I know everyone else swears by chrono trigger, but my favs were FF6 and Earthbound. It hard to not love earthbound, especially once you realize just how bizarre the game is (and the Mr. Saturns were great).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:30 am 
n00b

Well, just to offer my quick list:

Secret of Mana (SNES) and FFVI (SNES) are up there at the top, for the simple reason they were just so so so very good. The amount of time I spent in SOM just wandering around on the final section and levelling up to get higher spells and new equipment is just -wrong-.

FFVII (PC). I don't think I really need to explain this one, it was just...cool. And it had Sephiroth.

Final Fantasy Legend (GB). First real RPG I ever played through. And god it rocked. ...actually, now I think about it, it rocked so much I'm going to download it and play it again. Whee!

Front Mission (SNES). I know it's not technically really an RPG, but it's close enough and made by Square, so there.

Planescape: Torment (PC). Because...well, it had Dak'kon. And you were immortal. And it was just a nifty story. Not quite as good, in my opinion, as any of the above, but I still liked it. A lot.

Honorable Mention - Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES). I mean...it was my first FF game on the SNES, so cut me some slack. And silly that it was, it had a certain charm.

NNAGAISHB* Award - Neverwinter Nights (PC). No no no no and no. Touch the single player campaign only with a very long stick, and preferably one with a pointy metal bit on the end. Yick. Still, play the Penultima downloadable modules. I'd put them in my list, but I don't think they would really count.

* Nowhere Near As Good As It Should Have Been

(M3rlin-): what is the legal age to buy alcoholic in england ?
(p5Ds13a06): you cant buy alcoholics
(p5Ds13a06): but if you wink the right way, some of them will follow you home for free

-=-=-

DNI'd by Actor.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stalkeh on 2002-11-29 07:33 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:40 am 
Addict

Anyone remember 'Heroes of Hobokan'? (did I spell that right?) I think it came out for the 486 a while back. You had to create this party of superheroes in a whacked-out, post-apocalyptic world where random monsters consisted of things like angry lawyers and such. And then there was also Companions of Xanth... Explains why I have an abnormal love for puns to this day. (The door is a jar!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:18 pm 
Local

Alright, I'll have a go:

My all-time favorites are:

FF 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 I've blathered on and on in enough forums about them already... (FF Fanboy)

Chrono Trigger (obvious)

Earthbound (Such a bizarre game.)

Dragon Warrior 1 (Classic)

Adventure (Old skool atari)

Arcana, Robotrek, and a bunch of other SNES RPG's you've never heard of.

Grandia 2, Xenogears, Star Ocean 2, and god knows how many others...

I'd have to say I'd put these games in the top 3:

1. Final Fantasy 5
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Star Ocean 2

(shouldn't this topic be somewhere else?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:33 pm 
Addict

Quote:
On 2002-11-25 14:06, FUna wrote:
I even had the hard-to-find 100 sided die.

100 sided!?!?!? holy fuck...

gotta go FF6 & Secret of Mana, but has anyone tried Phantasy Star Online?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next