ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:47 pm 
Local

I think what is being seen here with all of these series is a tendency toward multiple-movie stories, planned from the beginning, rather than just trying to squeeze more blood from the turnip

I think this is a good trend, especially in a class (fantasy/sci-fi) where one movie really cant do the story justice (think of your favorite sci fi or fantasy series. Could YOU put it into one 2-hour block?)

What Id also like to see, now that the matrix is doing it, is back to back releases. While it may take a little while longer to make, ultimately it will only lower production costs, will guarantee no major loss of talent (what if Keanu Reeves had died after Matrix I was finished filming. Cheers, Im sure, but no next movie), and will feed into our need to consume.

Id like to see more multi-volume movies planned in this manner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:26 am 
Addict

Quote:
On 2002-12-17 14:00, Meteo wrote:
Hollywood is so fond of reusing franchises that should have been left alone.

Example: T3. In T2 didn't they remove all possibility of Skynet being built? I suppose the machines can rise without Skynet, but this just stinks too much of Hollywood greed.

Ahh, but you forget: in T2 Skynet was still built because they had the T-800's arm, and could figure out chip designs from it, etc. etc.

In T3, Skynet will likewise be built because... THEY STILL HAVE AN ARM FROM A T-800!!! [cue collective gasp] :wink:

It was easy to miss it in the excitement of the climax, but one of Arnold's arms got caught in a machine and he wound up ripping himself loose to go after the T-1000. The arm was left in the machine, and while it was doubtless mangled, it is even more doubtless that they will use its continued existence as an excuse for how humans could once again dig their own graves with advanced technology.

Gotta hand it to whatever writer thought that one up; it is pretty subtle and sneaky.

"Only he who attempts the absurd
is capable of achieving the impossible."
 - Miguel de Unamuno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:55 am 
Addict

Anyone who saw the original ending to T2, and knows the changes, would understand how long I have been waiting for this, and knowing it would come to pass.

Choosing an enigmatic ending over the "So Judgement Day came and went and nothing happened and life is peachy" ending kind of shows that they have plans to continue, don't you think?

-BiShouNenKaMi
Sometimes you just know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:23 am 
n00b

OH powers of this Jedi go visit Microsoft
and tell the excutives there to go Enron style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:01 pm 
Local

Quote:
On 2002-12-18 04:26, Yevaud333 wrote:
hh, but you forget: in T2 Skynet was still built because they had the T-800's arm, and could figure out chip designs from it, etc. etc.

In T3, Skynet will likewise be built because... THEY STILL HAVE AN ARM FROM A T-800!!! [cue collective gasp] :wink:

First, I didn't forget the arm. The arm is relatively unimportant to the development of Skynet. We could make an arm just like it with today's tech without the need of time traveling machines.

The arm wasn't nearly as important as the chip in the head of each T-800. The chip which governed the AI of the T-800. The chip that the scientist (I forget his name) reverse engineered and then used in the making of Skynet's AI.

That is why they killed the scientist, destroyed all records of his research, destroyed the chip and arm from the original T-800. Melted down the T-800 sans arm that was mangled. And said repeatedly in interviews that they do not intend to make another one.

DAMN I'm a geek!

[edit: I saw Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers at midnight. GOOD flick. Go see it!]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Meteo on 2002-12-18 11:26 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:40 pm 
Addict

Ahh, so it's the head chip that's important. Hm. Then I guess they'll have to be a little more creative than what I came up with....

Heh, thanks for the correction. Yeah geeks! :smile:

(And I'll be watching The Two Towers in... oh, five hours. :razz: All together now: Welcome back, Gandalf! :grin: )

"Only he who attempts the absurd
is capable of achieving the impossible."
 - Miguel de Unamuno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:11 pm 
Addict

w00t! 4 hours till I see it, about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:25 pm 
Tourist

Ok about the T3 thing, its way off topic but I think I should mention, in order for the original skynet to send a T-800 back in time it would have to have been built solely by humans, no time traveling computer AI could have been used because no such item existed. Skynet was built by humans the first time, Skynet's creation was merely speed up by the use of the *damaged* T-800 chip. But then again there are the millions upon millions of time travel implications that dont exist because time travel is entirely useless unless your god and unaffected by whatever changes you would cause in time.
Oh and I am going to kill someone if I dont see The Two Towers soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:06 pm 
Local

Good point there Vendo. Paradox ever lurks around the corner in any Time Travel movie. That does make for a good loophole for T3.

If anyone is curious, Tycho of Penny Arcade has a few things to say about The Two Towers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:38 pm 
Addict

Some theory (I swear to God, some physicists have too much time on their hands) states that even if you could travel back in time, your actions would be predetermined (already happened before you traveled back in time, after all) and thus you won't change anything.

Say you go back in time to kill your dad. If you succeed, all sorts of paradoxes arise, and blah blah blah boring stuff. Anyway, the theory holds that you will somehow fail in this endeavor, because if you didn't your dad wouldn't be alive in your memory.

Blah blah blah other boring stuff. The end.

-Kills Commies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:37 pm 
Local

Then Quantum Physics came around and multiple-worlds theory became fashionable for justifying time travel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:25 pm 
Local

I found more info on T3 at Slashdot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:24 am 
Green Text

Hmm... I heard somewhere that time travel would be impossible, since 'time' is a concept created by humans to measure the rate at which the universe decays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:26 am 
Addict

Actual line used once in my World History class...

Teacher: "And why are you coming into my class late?"

"Well, it's like this. Time is a man made concept. Thus, as a man, I am a creator of time. I therefore bend time to my will, and was actually here early... you were all late."

Teacher: "...that... was brilliant. Take you seat."

Another student walks in, late as well...

Teacher: "And why are YOU late?"

Other student: "Um... locker problems?"

Teacher: "DETENTION!"

-Fold
Applied reasoning is your friend.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2