ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:12 pm 
Addict

Quote:
On 2003-01-30 03:41, Komodo wrote:
With the exception of one DS9 episode, I don't think the transporters ever sent someone through time.

Member the ST:TNG Dysen (don't know how to spell it) sphere episode?
How do you think Scotty ended up in the 24th century? Technically, it didn't send him there directly but it was the mode of transportation that got him there.

Find me on Steam or Skype (Spiketail, OR, USA). Helps if you identify yourself. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:29 pm 
Addict

Traveling forward in time is easy enough, just run yourself through a good teleporter buffer.
Now going back in time, that is more fun. First you have to have a cheap reason to either need to time travel or to be running away backwards, then you need to slingshot yourself around the sun at just the right angle, and boom, back in 20th century USA.

-Rae

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:05 am 
Addict

Wrong wrong WRONG!!

All time travel needs is the Flux Capacitor, duh!! Shit, I mean, with that, there's no holding back!

Not to mention once you retrofit your DeLorian with a good ole Black & Decker: Mr. Fusion waste to energy conversion device, you'll be set no matter where you go. ^^

-BiShouNenKaMi
"But ya better promise me, I'll be Back in Time..." - Huey Lewis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:12 am 
Spawn of Kyhm and D

Unless you end up in the Old West. Then you'll need to convert a train to push the car upto 88mph. Completely off topic, I've got a picture of a chibi-me (long time ago) in the Dolerean from the original movie. (No Mr Fusion, and no foldy-wheels). I should scan it, because I'm so damned special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:00 am 
Addict

geer dangit!
One freak storm is all you really need.
That, and some piece of a nice long cable and some type of hook.
Doesn't hurt to have some crazy nut set it all up. :razz: :grin:

Find me on Steam or Skype (Spiketail, OR, USA). Helps if you identify yourself. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:51 am 
Local

Its not the storm you need, there are plenty of storms, its knowing exactly when the strike will be.

BLM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:34 am 
Addict

Quote:
On 2003-01-30 20:29, Rae wrote:
Traveling forward in time is easy enough, just run yourself through a good teleporter buffer.

Or just fly around at near light-speeds. Come to think of it, did they ever explain how they got around the time-dialation effect on Star Trek? I know, most of the time they were just "warping" around, but what about when they travelled at relativistic speeds using the impulse engines? Just a thought.
"Join Starfleet! Explore the Galaxy! Laugh as everyone you know grows old and dies before you do!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:22 pm 
Addict

They didn't tend to travel at near light speeds, me things. It's either orbit speed (which can't be much more than .001c), impulse engines around space dock to go really slow, or straight to Warp Drive. Also, the actual state of going at near light speed isn't what makes the supposed "twin" example work (two twins, one travels to and from Alpha Centuri and back, stays young), but instead its the fact that there isn't really any definition to time dialation when the reference frames aren't at a constant velocity. The act of accelorating and decelorating is what keeps the twin young, but he ages sorta normal like while at high speeds, or at least that is what my Physics Prof said.

-Rae

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:38 pm 
Addict

Quote:
On 2003-02-01 19:22, Rae wrote:
They didn't tend to travel at near light speeds, me things. It's either orbit speed (which can't be much more than .001c), impulse engines around space dock to go really slow, or straight to Warp Drive. Also, the actual state of going at near light speed isn't what makes the supposed "twin" example work (two twins, one travels to and from Alpha Centuri and back, stays young), but instead its the fact that there isn't really any definition to time dialation when the reference frames aren't at a constant velocity. The act of accelorating and decelorating is what keeps the twin young, but he ages sorta normal like while at high speeds, or at least that is what my Physics Prof said.

I seem to remember, in one of the old movies, they were going .5c, then .6c, .7c, etc., until they hit 1c and went to warp. Then again, Star Trek isn't exactly the most consistent of fictional universes, so they may have changed how it works for TNG. And they would have to accelerate, anyway, to reach those speeds, and decelerate to get back to Earth, just in time for the funerals of their great-grandchildren... ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3