ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:13 am 
Tourist

Shoot Them Later wrote:
Oddly, Jon and Sarine are probably the best and closest thing Meji has ever had to genuine parental figures. Her real mother didn't exactly seem the most attentive of parents, from what we heard back in Tsuiraku.

Isn't that disturbing?

Yeah that is scary. The funny thing is that I never thought of it that way before, which really puts Meiji's character in perspective a bit more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:43 am 
Addict

RMG wrote:
In spite of everything, I'm still rooting for them as a couple. :(

I didn't say it wasn't sexual tension, now did I? :D

I'm pretty sure the end result will be them falling deeply and madly in love, or killing eachother. Or perhaps both. But I'm willing to bet it's going to be the first option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:46 am 
Addict

Gias wrote:
Corpse Child wrote:
KirimaNagi wrote:
And what's with the semicolons? One might have been forgivable, but two!!?

True, perhaps a regular colon would have sufficed in place of the second.

And there goes Jon jumping the gun, so to speak. Maybe that town needs the excitment, a hanging would be a nice community project, you know? So much for a block party.

I agree.. though it might not have been a hanging. It could've just as easily been Jim being beaten to death by big fucking rocks, tortured to death with 'pears' (not gonna explain that one, you're gonna have to google it), violently torn limb from limb, either by ropes attached to limbs and startled horses, or simply by hand.... Oh, and my personal favorite, being hung upside down by his ankles, or tied to a chair with a sack of starving rats placed over his head and secured firmly in place, then the setting of said bag on fire, 'encouraging' the rats to chew thier way through his skull in order to survive.

Ahh, I'm always up for a draw and quartering... and then for extra meanness, they can put lemons in his wounds. Or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:55 am 
Addict

KirimaNagi wrote:
The way Jon sees it, he didn't kill Jim; he saved Jim from Sarine's mind control. (i.e. Better a clean death than to live as a slave)

Way to piss off Sarine and make a statement at the same time.

Kirima! Welcome back!

^-^'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:46 am 
Expatriate

And so, Jon kills the bandito to passive-aggressively get back at Sarine, not realizing it's a hopeless expression of his own impotence. Or maybe I'm projecting my own insecurities onto Jon as an attempt to invalidate his own catharsis. How did I live before Psych 101?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:05 am 
Tourist

RentACop wrote:
And so, Jon kills the bandito to passive-aggressively get back at Sarine, not realizing it's a hopeless expression of his own impotence. Or maybe I'm projecting my own insecurities onto Jon as an attempt to invalidate his own catharsis. How did I live before Psych 101?

You were right the first time, but I'm pretty sure you're also projecting irregardless of the astuteness of your observations.

Then again he probably is feeling impotent as Sarine's own power, the situation, and perhaps Jon's tenderness towards for anything female is preventing him from really having it out with her over this. I picture this going on until either the situation allows Jon to have it out with Sarine, Jon decides to have it out irregardless of the situation, or she comes clean--in which case we can expect if followed up with much wild, sweaty, happy monkey s...er, I mean smooching. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:24 pm 
Native

Why is it always monkeys?

Why can't it be Monkees?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:07 pm 
n00b

Whatever the reason, he actually took the more humane action. Yes, he shot the man, but its not as bad as forcing the man to scream his crimes to an excited throng of townsfolk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:57 pm 
Local

I'm getting the feeling that everything aside, this is both important and bad. It's justified, and technically just a further part of the raid on the bandit camp, but it's also a BIG failure of impulse control on Jon's part. And what's keeping Jon from being like the mercenaries he despises (and his mother told him he'd end up as) is that he has complete control of himself, an internal code that he is faithful to, no matter the cost. That control just slipped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:12 pm 
Tourist

Damn, Normaphil, that's actually a pretty good assessment of the situation. Jon's managed to remain downright stoic through it all before, but he's clearly starting to lose his control over this, which begs the question as to how much trouble this is going to cause for the group down the line.

And now for something completely off topic...

Kazebari wrote:
Why is it always monkeys?

Why can't it be Monkees?

Incidentally, David Jones is why David Bowie adopted "Bowie" as his last name in the sixties while he was still an obscure performer on the British pop scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:01 pm 
Local

the man is left for dead. somebody later comes along and finds the barely living bandit, on whom the spell has been broken by the gunshot, and thus tracks the party.

maybe not. but I'm hoping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:06 pm 
Tourist

Quote:
I'm getting the feeling that everything aside, this is both important and bad. It's justified, and technically just a further part of the raid on the bandit camp, but it's also a BIG failure of impulse control on Jon's part. And what's keeping Jon from being like the mercenaries he despises (and his mother told him he'd end up as) is that he has complete control of himself, an internal code that he is faithful to, no matter the cost. That control just slipped.

You should give him a little slack. He is still trying to get over the fact that he is sure that his memories and head have been fucked with. So he must be trying to figure out if it's happened the once or if it's happened other times and he just didn't notice it or anything. Mind-altering magic has a tendency to make you a little unsteady.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:19 pm 
Local

Glyph wrote:
You should give him a little slack. He is still trying to get over the fact that he is sure that his memories and head have been fucked with. So he must be trying to figure out if it's happened the once or if it's happened other times and he just didn't notice it or anything. Mind-altering magic has a tendency to make you a little unsteady.

This one most likely comes under the "father murdered by bandits in the Thrannel area" column, not the "mind-fucked" column. And that he's giving himself 'a little slack' is the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:04 pm 
Expatriate

everybody seems to forget they were smooching, and a little more, for a couple of hours. they'll get there, they just have an additional issue to cross when they do so again.

as for jon losing control, well he's been emotional for a while now. the camp to begin with, his commentary here and there, and probably the fact that he confronted sarine at all on the erasure of his memory when he knew he wasn't going to get a satisfactory answer.

granted, there has been some stressors: the elven death squad(tm), his cover being blown for possible the first time on a job, his time spent wondering if the ensigerum would get around to him, this onetime field trip suddenly becoming a little more serious, sarine spoiling his "i made like an assassin and got the hell out of dodge", yes the dead women and children by the roadside, and i;m sure meji's lack of regard for the environment (and possibly people) or ellis's need to suffer what would be fatal wounds once a day.

more obviously is his concern over what his memory was erased for, and what he may have to do to sarine and meji's behalf seems to be eating at him ashe hasn't shut up on the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:45 am 
Native

What would happen if a man ran into a town and started screaming at the top of his lungs that he had killed and raped women and men and livestock?

Townspeople wouldn't just be goin' "Oh yay, some elf mindcontrolled a brigand and made him turn himself in! yay! Let us kill him!"

No they'd be like "Wow that is one seriously sick man" and quite possibly turn him in to a psychiatric ward (given they have that around..) or just run him out of town.

-.-

Arms too short to box with God.
Initiated by Themadthinker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:17 am 
Addict

Affi wrote:
What would happen if a man ran into a town and started screaming at the top of his lungs that he had killed and raped women and men and livestock?

That entirely depends on local culture, superstition, belief in magic, etc. Also, and this is a keen point, it would depend on what he was actually saying. If he was just yelling "Soylent Green is people I killed!" he'd likely just be considered a wacko. If he shouted things that described specific crimes "I cut up a man and his wife two days ago on the high road!" he could get himself hung rather quickly.

Affi wrote:
Townspeople wouldn't just be goin' "Oh yay, some elf mind-controlled a brigand and made him turn himself in! yay! Let us kill him!"

No they'd be like "Wow that is one seriously sick man" and quite possibly turn him in to a psychiatric ward (given they have that around..) or just run him out of town.-.-

Historically, most human culltures believe in magic: spirits, demons, witchcraft, sorcery, etc. Such traditions are far more common than beliefs in madness as a sickness or other kinds of rationalism. Note that In Poe's world, magic of various kinds actually does work; even the government believes in it.

The villagers don't have to understand (or even care about) the specifics of how this stranger became enchanted/hexed/cursed/possessed. Particularly if they have been suffering from a plague of banditry. They might just act on the facts before them, accept the good luck of having a demented bandit wander right into the arms of the magistrate, and later gossip about the reasons for the confession over a a beer at the pub.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:55 am 
Addict

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Affi wrote:

That entirely depends on local culture, superstition, belief in magic, etc. Also, and this is a keen point, it would depend on what he was actually saying. If he was just yelling "Soylent Green is people I killed!" he'd likely just be considered a wacko. If he shouted things that described specific crimes "I cut up a man and his wife two days ago on the high road!" he could get himself hung rather quickly.

Affi wrote:
Townspeople wouldn't just be goin' "Oh yay, some elf mind-controlled a brigand and made him turn himself in! yay! Let us kill him!"

No they'd be like "Wow that is one seriously sick man" and quite possibly turn him in to a psychiatric ward (given they have that around..) or just run him out of town.-.-

Historically, most human culltures believe in magic: spirits, demons, witchcraft, sorcery, etc. Such traditions are far more common than beliefs in madness as a sickness or other kinds of rationalism. Note that In Poe's world, magic of various kinds actually does work; even the government believes in it.

The villagers don't have to understand (or even care about) the specifics of how this stranger became enchanted/hexed/cursed/possessed. Particularly if they have been suffering from a plague of banditry. They might just act on the facts before them, accept the good luck of having a demented bandit wander right into the arms of the magistrate, and later gossip about the reasons for the confession over a a beer at the pub.

As much as I understand the orders he was given by Sarine, I think that the spell would've been broken when the town people came to 'deal' with him. He could then tell them that he was possessed by an evil demon and gather the local mob for some wich hunting.

But he was shot dead so he won't. Har di har har.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:31 am 
Tourist

runic wrote:
everybody seems to forget they were smooching...

I'm not forgetting, and I'm not sure if everyone else is either since the basis for all this rooting for them as a couple seems to be the previous occurence of smooching between the two. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:38 am 
Tourist

Gazing Rabbit wrote:
As much as I understand the orders he was given by Sarine, I think that the spell would've been broken when the town people came to 'deal' with him. He could then tell them that he was possessed by an evil demon and gather the local mob for some wich hunting.

But he was shot dead so he won't. Har di har har.

Probably, but I find Boss' scenario of mob swift mob justice a more plausible one for the reasons he described. If this town has been suffering under banditry they are likely to go at him without second thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:41 pm 
Tourist

Crows gotta eat, too. I'd call this a case of community service across the board.

And if it twinks off that poncy elf bitch, well that's even better.

Corruption's a lot of fun. Are you sure you don't want to try it?

<i>DNI'd by Doromond</i>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next