ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:00 am 
Addict

Saturnalia wrote:
Charisma is fairly goofy in DnD. Is there some way in PnP DnD to manage a character's relative beauty? Arcanum had a specific stat for it, but then Arcanum had double the number of stats of any other RPG I've played.

Add an extra stat line, run charisma as different from appearance and make a short list of circumstances in which either the DM or player might use one or the other. Some people know how to use their appearance to influence situations, some people can dismiss that and see real charisma behind appearances. A lot of people, especially men, judge people, mainly women, solely by appearance until someone smacks them with a baka hammer or a lawsuit.

If you are running any kind of modern version of DnD, I recommend adding an Education stat. This is too important an influence on modern role-playing to tie it to Intelligence or Wisdom. Arbitrary rule: no character may have an initial Edu stat five points higher or lower than Int. Use Wis for willpower checks related to magic and various "life experience" roles.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:03 pm 
Native

One thing I'd note about a Jordan character is that she' have to have an Int stat significantly above the normal maximum- I'd say 22 minimum, and possibly as high as 26 or even 28. The whole backstory with her is that she was messed with until she had a significantly-above-normally-possible Int score; every 216th Joe has an Int 18.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:35 pm 
Addict

the only circumstances where jordan should have above average cha is when she's playing innocent school girl to someone that doesnt know her well. Otherwise she's jailbait and not really a people person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:07 pm 
Addict

Location: In front of the computer, doing things best left undescribed
Jailbait with a built-in RAILGUN.

If she was younger, Pedobear would have reason to fear.

Pyro: Noun. Practicioner of the ancient and gentle arts of burning shit down and blowing shit up.

DNI'd by actor_au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:52 pm 
Local

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:
Charisma is fairly goofy in DnD. Is there some way in PnP DnD to manage a character's relative beauty? Arcanum had a specific stat for it, but then Arcanum had double the number of stats of any other RPG I've played.

Add an extra stat line, run charisma as different from appearance and make a short list of circumstances in which either the DM or player might use one or the other. Some people know how to use their appearance to influence situations, some people can dismiss that and see real charisma behind appearances. A lot of people, especially men, judge people, mainly women, solely by appearance until someone smacks them with a baka hammer or a lawsuit.

If you are running any kind of modern version of DnD, I recommend adding an Education stat. This is too important an influence on modern role-playing to tie it to Intelligence or Wisdom. Arbitrary rule: no character may have an initial Edu stat five points higher or lower than Int. Use Wis for willpower checks related to magic and various "life experience" roles.

The main problem with adding extra ability scores is that many players will use them as extra "dump" scores-- more of a problem if you're using a point-buy method and add extra points to fill out the extra scores. (What does the meat shield need with good looks or book learning?) A secondary problem is introducing (or aggravating) multiple attribute dependency for characters-- more of a problem if you don't add extra points for a point-buy system. (A wizard or scientist would need both Intelligence and Education, while a musician or diplomat would be more effective with Charisma and Comeliness.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:32 pm 
<font color=red><b>STALKER/FAG ALERT.

d20 Modern, not DnD. Education is handled by your starting Occupation and your skill ranks. No need for an Education stat. I haven't read Exploitation now, but it seems like the Criminal or Technician occupations fit, with the Windfall feat taken a few times. It looks like the class ought to be Smart Hero 3/Technosavant 2.

There are rules in d20 Future for cybernetics, plasma guns, and railguns. Download the SRD for their rules, and the Technosavant Advanced Class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:43 pm 
Addict

Location: In front of the computer, doing things best left undescribed
Actually, I have all the D20 Modern books in PDF format on a cd. It just remains to be seen if my computer can read it; I've got four discs my GM gave me (including the PDF disc), and of the three I've tried to use, only one cd has worked. The other two show up as blank discs.

But hey, at least I have all of Hellsing and can actually watch in english OR japanese.

Thanks for the input, guys. Hopefully all this work won't amount to Jordan getting killed within the first session.

Pyro: Noun. Practicioner of the ancient and gentle arts of burning shit down and blowing shit up.

DNI'd by actor_au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:53 pm 
Green Text

Insane_Megalamaniac wrote:
Hopefully all this work won't amount to Jordan getting killed within the first session.

Don't worry, we'll sic Rupe on you to make sure everything goes swimmingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:18 am 
Tourist

Quote:
But hey, at least I have all of Hellsing and can actually watch in english OR japanese.

It all means nothing if you can't watch it in engrish.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2