ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:19 am 
Green Text

Yeah, Miki was Vanish/Doom. Thought that sounded odd...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:32 am 
Tourist

Boss Out of Town wrote:

This is reflective of the long-standing American tradition of not having a national police force. Like a standing army, aristocracy, and most economic or political monopolies, a national police agency is a constant threat to democracy.

What's the difference between the FBI and a national police force? Also while being off topic, I'm a bit unsure if you believe what you just wrote or if you were just descriping the long standing American tradition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:54 am 
Local

wolf346 wrote:
Forrest wrote:
Also, <A HREF="http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2002-12-18">Rena Doyel says</A> that in Tsuiraku at least, there's one law that bans both necromancy and time magic, which seems to imply somehow that the two are related.

Fixed.

Good catch. Just looked back at that page and say Mika's name in the same panel as the bit about necromancy and time magic and, I guess, read them in reverse or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:00 pm 
Addict

kerberos wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
This is reflective of the long-standing American tradition of not having a national police force. Like a standing army, aristocracy, and most economic or political monopolies, a national police agency is a constant threat to democracy.

What's the difference between the FBI and a national police force? Also while being off topic, I'm a bit unsure if you believe what you just wrote or if you were just descriping the long standing American tradition?

I said it because it is true, and because I have a life-long, pre-Internet habit of giving complete answers when I respond to a question. Even if it pushes me over the border of madness and pedantry.

Inherent power to create police forces and prosecute crimes against life and property derives from state constitutions in the United States. County and muncipal police forces derive their authority and jurisdiction from state charters and laws. Federal police agencies can investigate only crimes for which they have been granted jurisdiction under federal law, the law---and yes, this distinction has been blurred in recent years---having been constitutionally justified when it was passed by congress.

Consequently, we have a plethora of competing agencies and bureaucracies handling federal crimes under different government departments: the Secret Service is part of the Treasury Department, the US Marshals are administered by the Attorney General to serve the judiciary branch, while customs and immigration enforcement is handled by the Department of Commerce. The BATF has been part of the Treasury Department for most of its bureaucratic life. The FBI, a younger agency, is directly charged with investigations under the Department of Justice. However, as I noted, it is only empowered to investigate federal crimes.

This means that, in theory and most often in practice, the FBI has no authority to interfer in crime investigations on a whim or on vague instructions by their bosses.* Local officials can, and will, telll them to go f*** themselves if they try to bully their way into local jurisdiction or boss around local cops. If there is some doubt about jurisdiction, usually the agencies involve try to cooperate until the issue is legally clarified.

While the bureaucratic infighting between agencies can cause trouble catching bad guys, but it also makes it harder for corrupt federal officials to abuse their authority. In the most famous instance, the Nixon administration was able to use CIA assets to support their Dirty Tricks and political espionage efforts. However, the FBI balked at getting involved, and one FBI official betrayed the entire operation to the Washington Post, under the psuedonym "Deep Throat."

Exactly how national police forces work in other countries I couldn't say in detail. However, the more centralized the structure, the easier it is to use it to subvert the rule of law. This is an inherent problem in creating a working government and keeping it free.

---------------------------------

* . . . Even if there were UFOs or supernatural terrors involved. Sorry, Agent Muldar.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Last edited by Boss Out of Town on Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:16 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Boss Out of Town wrote:
However, the more centralized the structure, the easier it is to use it to subvert the rule of law. This is an inherent problem in creating a working government and keeping it free.

You mean like the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)? :wink:

BTW, very nice explanation.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5