ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: 10-30-2006 Two shots fired
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:03 pm 
Addict

Location: You can't take the sky from me. Since I found Serenity.
Where's that second one off to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:09 pm 
Expatriate

More importantly it seems that Jon might have managed to disarm Sara. Not quite sure how he managed, what with Sara's time fugue and all.

EDIT: Also of note is that Warrel was forced to turn his back on Sarine.

Last edited by GWhite on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Awesome.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:09 pm 
Addict

JON, YOU LOOK KINDA COOL.

The Sara shot was just dodged, right? And seriously, Jon gets many a coolpoint in this scene. Though I wonder Sara's reason for not time magicking?)

Or is Jon just that awesome?

Last edited by SquaredBowl on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:10 pm 
Addict

Location: You can't take the sky from me. Since I found Serenity.
n, one went toward Warrel, the other off in the opposite direction, Sara was directly in front of Jon.

Where's the second one off to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:11 pm 
Tourist

Well, I was wrong. He was shooting Warrel. Although Warrel managed to block the shot anyway.

Meanwhile, Jon seems to have gotten his hand on Saras weapon. I don't suppose she's stronger than he is, so no matter how fast she moves, thats gonna make it hard for her to hit him with it. Go Jon!

(I wonder if the ricochet will hit anything?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:12 pm 
Local

Panel one: Behold the gun-saint.

Jon used the sawed-off shot at Sara as an 'area denial' measure. That meant he knew that Sara would approach him from his front. He was ready to dodge Sara's swing and grab the Dolon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:13 pm 
Addict

Perhaps there's a complex system of chandeliers all tied down to a single spot?

... Silent, undetectable chandeliers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:31 pm 
Addict

Uh . . . so why didn't Sara time-fugue? Did Jon sucker her into skipping it by aiming the sod-off very badly?

Jon apparently fired low, causing Sara to jump---which she warned Chris not to do---allowing Jon, the slower fighter, a chance to duck under and inside her swing. Once he's there, his superior strenght gives him an edge. Concievably he can grab the dolan and throw her bodily at Warrel. Or, he can muscle she and the dolan to his left and impale Warrel while he's trying to figure out why his prize student is suddenly moving sideways.

In any case, Sara is definitely trying to at least maim Jon. Too bad. He seems to have used his left gun hand as a decoy, then dropped the weapon to save his arm and pull it in for a grab at Sara's weapon.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:33 pm 
Addict

Bought Sarine the chance at one last backstab... if she can still manage it while missing half her spine. Jon is still alive, has effectively immobalized the enemy's weapon, and possibly is going to be tapped into any timefuck-energies being channeled though said weapon. If, however, he is not moving at the same rate as his sis... he is about to know how a thousand hyperspeed kicks to the scrotum feels like before letting go of the spear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:41 pm 
Local

Am I the only one to feel he's proven that she WAS trained by the same fuckwits that had trained Warrel?

Time-Fugue, hop to the side, take a nice big swing right across his gut. What does she do? No fugue, jumps and tries to perform an awkward downwards slice, which Jon doesn't deflect, or dodge, he *blocks* it.

She got played for fool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:45 pm 
Local

Wasn't Sara one of the monks who the Imperatrix said didn't rely too much on time-magic? Having kept her mundane fighting abilities in good shape, Sara might want to defeat Jon without magic just because (she thinks) she can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:48 pm 
Local

Even though the imperatrix kicked her, and like 4 others' asses, ending with nothing but a broken training pole on the imperatrix's part.. yes! I'd say it's possible Sara wants to win without "cheating".

Or maybe she isn't as enthusiastic about killing her brother as Warrel wants her to be?

Or maaaaybe, Jon's just a much faster thinker than she is.

Post subject: Look behiiiiind you...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:14 am 
n00b

Hmm, I think there was more to Jon's strategy than just shooting Warrel in the back. Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but is that the tip of a sword in the last panel behind Warrel? (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease)

...and yeah, what's up with Sarine not noticing earlier that Warrel was superfast? How'd she expect to beat him? I'm wondering what her spine looks like, too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:21 am 
Tourist

Do we know how much of the time-fuge ability is inherent and how much it relies on the time ninjas being able to get super-senses from the Duras Duras jionx? As in, without the blade (assuming Jon takes it), would Sara's movement speed be restricted to how fast her brain can process sensory input so that she knows she's not about to run straight into a sword, boot to the face, etc.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:36 am 
Expatriate

drunk wrote:
Do we know how much of the time-fuge ability is inherent and how much it relies on the time ninjas being able to get super-senses from the Duras Duras jionx? As in, without the blade (assuming Jon takes it), would Sara's movement speed be restricted to how fast her brain can process sensory input so that she knows she's not about to run straight into a sword, boot to the face, etc.?

Didn't we see a couple scenes of their training, where they were practicing time-whatsit without their magic swords?

Whack-with-the-cluestick of the day:
"Nubile" is *not* the adjective form of "newbie."
<< cringe >>

Ian did it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:57 am 
Tourist

Well, those weapons look like they could just be their usual weapons with padding of some sort tied over the pointy ends.

The scene with Anita at the Veracian church, however, does show her unarmed and using time magic. So it would appear not having the weapon woudln't hinder them all too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:06 am 
Local

Coming in to this late, but WTF, it's Sunday, this isn't due for hours... not that I'm really complaining.

My analysis:

Jon fires shotgun as Sara's feet, forcing her to leap out of the way. Pistol is fired at Warrel, who's back is turned. Nice over-the-shoulder aiming for Jon. The figure to the left in Panel 1 is Sara; Warrel is off-panel to the right. This meshes well with the following frames. Panel 1 may be in perspective given the apparent size of Sara's figure (that is, left-side objects are more to the foreground than right-side objects), though it's hard to tell since it's silhouetted.

Sara leaps, moving into an attack at Jon at the same time. Can't quite tell if she's in warp mode or not, but if we consider the left panels and the right panels to be in sync, it takes the same amount of time for Sara to leap to Jon and get her weapon grappled as it does the pistol bullet to reach Warrel. If that's not bullet time, I don't know what is.

Now, the explanation for this is questionable. Either Jon is *really* good at predicting an enemy's movements (which is plausible given what we've seen so far) and *really* fast on his own, and managed to dodge and grapple Sara when she was in warp mode; or, Jon has some sort of adept ability latent to himself (perhaps familial, hence Sara's selection from the orphanage, and perhaps Jon's exceptional skills as an assassin?) that allowed him to pull off this move; or the left and right panels aren't in sync (meaning panel 6 takes place later than panel 7), and Sara leapt in non-warp-mode (or perhaps all time monks fall through the air at normal speed, warp or no? would explain Sara's battle with Chris and her advice not to jump when possible), and Jon grappled her dolon with regular old Mad Skillz.

One way or another... now that he's got her weapon contested I'd reckon things are more even between the two of them. It's harder to bounce around at hyper speed in a wrestling match than it is in a sword fight. Of course, she could always disengage from him, engage warp drive, walk around behind him, kick his ass, then take her dolon back. To answer another's question: they don't appear to need their Durus Flamma to use their powers. They've moved at hyper speeds while using practice weapons, and Sara's used her extended sensory abilities while meditating with nothing but a bathrobe, so the magic powers aren't tied to the weapons.

And Warrel makes the block. Good for him. Warrel's back, meet Sarine's hape. Hope you two become very well acquainted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:17 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Boss Out of Town wrote:
Uh . . . so why didn't Sara time-fugue? Did Jon sucker her into skipping it by aiming the sod-off very badly?

She didn't bother because she knows that being airborn like that nullifies the time-fugue? Yes, I agree, Jon shot low on purpose, expecting to miss but forcing her into the air.

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Jon apparently fired low, causing Sara to jump---which she warned Chris not to do---allowing Jon, the slower fighter, a chance to duck under and inside her swing. Once he's there, his superior strenght gives him an edge. Concievably he can grab the dolan and throw her bodily at Warrel. Or, he can muscle she and the dolan to his left and impale Warrel while he's trying to figure out why his prize student is suddenly moving sideways.

In that case, it'd be very difficult not to jump. It is a sawed-off and even in 12-guage carries 9 pellets of 00-buck (.32 caliber). She could have taken one sighting of his aim-point and realised that the only way to not get hit is to go straight up, like he wants her to. This is a case where he really took away all her immediate options. Jon is God, if he survives this.

BTW: If Jon had fired center-torso, there is no way she could have ducked at that range. He fired to manipulate, not kill.

Boss Out of Town wrote:
In any case, Sara is definitely trying to at least maim Jon. Too bad. He seems to have used his left gun hand as a decoy, then dropped the weapon to save his arm and pull it in for a grab at Sara's weapon.

I'm not sure about that. At this point she is reacting to her training and it has all been reflex. The fact that she delayed long enough to allow him to deploy his weapons should be indicative; of what, I don't know. Then again, Jon is a damned fast shootist.

The attempted strike on Jon, which lets him get his hands on her weapon, may also be trained reflex. A trained reflex that he's been counting on. Jon, if not the Gewehr, has been studying these bad boys pretty closely and it looks like the Esigerum hasn't bothered studying the Gewher. It also looks like the Gewher have been studying Jeet Kun Do or at least Jon has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:28 am 
n00b

I am weak.
I finally gave in and registered.
Jon is just that awesome.
Warrel looks the other way, healy flash, and suddenly he is fighting an elf who is now VERY pissed. and Jon has Sara's weapon, I'm assuming he, about twice her size, is strong enough to do that, in addition to his six shooter still with 5 shots left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:43 am 
Tourist

Or it could be that Sara is following her orders to kill Jon, but her heart isn't in it, so she's going to try and kill Jon as incompetently as she can manage...

But cheers for Jon. He shows again that he's a quick thinker in a fight.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next