ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:30 pm 
Expatriate

Eyeless Blond wrote:
Nukes wouldn't work; they'd just outrun the shockwave or block it with their swords. :P

I notice, though, that when time-fuging the monks manage to take their clothes and weapons with them. Time magic probably extends a bit past the actual person using it, so I imagine someone actually grappling a time-fuged person would be within the time-fugue himself. Like, for instance, Jon at the moment.

It would be pretty funny if he caught Sara and used her as a time-fugue battery of sorts to fight Warrel.

a persons cloths are attached to their body and move with it no matter how fast or slow, same with anything a person is holding...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:37 pm 
Local

Bunny wrote:
i like how this is actually the second fight jon and sara have been in.. back at the beginning of chapter two jon is the only survivor of his sister killing a bunch of them to send a message.

I was just rereading that chapter the other night and wondering about that myself. Is that Jon's team that's getting ambushed? By the timing with Jon's appearance it would seem like that, but Jon says he successfully pulled off his mission without a hitch and just got ratted out by Polly later, hence the generic NPC guards chasing after him. It's conceivable that he wouldn't have mentioned any of that to Meji, but when he meets up with the Wraith bosses in Saus again, they don't say anything about his posse getting ass-raped by time monks either.

Further, I doubt Jon would stop over for a sex break with the local whore if all his work buddies just got slaughtered by an incoherent blur of death. He'd have run as fast as his pathetic non-magical human legs could take him back to HQ to report what happened. Given all that, I'm inclined to think that the poor Wraith party that Sara breaks up in Chapter 2 is entirely unrelated to the mission which Polly ratted on Jon for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:40 pm 
Local

Bunny wrote:
a persons cloths are attached to their body and move with it no matter how fast or slow, same with anything a person is holding...

Hold a long, thin, fragile piece of balsa wood in your hand by the end, and very gentle wave it around in the air.

Now hold that same piece of balsa in that same hand and swing it as hard as you can. Watch the part in your hand break off from the rest of it.

The same general principle applies to anything a person is holding or even wearing; the necessary speed to break the thing just gets much higher as the things get stronger.

Then again, you can wear paper clothes and move pretty damn fast without destroying them (so long as you avoid too much friction), so clothing damage may not be an issue for the time monks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:47 pm 
Local

'Sides, the world wouldn't tolerate a bunch of naked mages running around as fast as lightning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:47 pm 
Expatriate

Forrest wrote:
Bunny wrote:
i like how this is actually the second fight jon and sara have been in.. back at the beginning of chapter two jon is the only survivor of his sister killing a bunch of them to send a message.

I was just rereading that chapter the other night and wondering about that myself. Is that Jon's team that's getting ambushed? By the timing with Jon's appearance it would seem like that, but Jon says he successfully pulled off his mission without a hitch and just got ratted out by Polly later, hence the generic NPC guards chasing after him. It's conceivable that he wouldn't have mentioned any of that to Meji, but when he meets up with the Wraith bosses in Saus again, they don't say anything about his posse getting ass-raped by time monks either.

Further, I doubt Jon would stop over for a sex break with the local whore if all his work buddies just got slaughtered by an incoherent blur of death. He'd have run as fast as his pathetic non-magical human legs could take him back to HQ to report what happened. Given all that, I'm inclined to think that the poor Wraith party that Sara breaks up in Chapter 2 is entirely unrelated to the mission which Polly ratted on Jon for.

true, though the drawing does look a good bit like Jon, even has is quick reflexes.. also given Sara paused to look at him makes one wonder

http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2003-05-12

^ wording makes it confusing either way you look at it but could show he was the one that was left alive. as to the timing of his kill, not enough about it is known (only thing with it is text), and later on he says he didn't get out of town fast enough after "everything went down" (i think that is what it said) and thats when the prostitute ratted him out.

Does my handle really show up as "Bunny" or did you change it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:49 pm 
Expatriate

Forrest wrote:
Bunny wrote:

ear paper clothes and move pretty damn fast without destroying them (so long as you avoid too much friction), so clothing damage may not be an issue for the time monks.

exactly... cloth, especially good thick cloth is VERY durable. not to mention the majority of the cloth is being acted upon via contact with the parts of the boy, so its not like holding onto a small section of a large stick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:56 pm 
Local

Am I misinterpreting something, or is the last shot of Jon bringing Sara's weapon down on Warrel, only to have it blocked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:04 pm 
Expatriate

bellofthedamned wrote:
Am I misinterpreting something, or is the last shot of Jon bringing Sara's weapon down on Warrel, only to have it blocked?

i think the last six frames are seperated by the side they are on, three for bullet time and warrel, three for sara/jon... only problem is are they on the same timeline?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:09 pm 
Local

Aha! Ok, so Warrel blocked the bullet!

Now, what will Sarine do...if anything. It's her big chance.

And so it appears Warrel was about to spear Sarine...yikes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:11 pm 
Tourist

Bunny wrote:
Forrest wrote:
Bunny wrote:

true, though the drawing does look a good bit like Jon, even has is quick reflexes.. also given Sara paused to look at him makes one wonder

^ wording makes it confusing either way you look at it but could show he was the one that was left alive. as to the timing of his kill, not enough about it is known (only thing with it is text), and later on he says he didn't get out of town fast enough after "everything went down" (i think that is what it said) and thats when the prostitute ratted him out.

See now, the way I see it, that couldnt possibly have happened. John wasn't with that group, even if the man left alive looked very much like him. Notice how "John lookalike" has his trigger finger removed here.
Now, if this were John, he'd be stuck unconcious, bleeding, and in the middle of nowhere. No hope of magic to save his trigger finger. So he'd have no left index finger. The John we see has a left index finger. He also has no visible injuries when we first see him.

This was a John lookalike.

"You know what your trouble is Arthur? You've got as much grasp of multi-temporal causality as a concussed bee."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:16 pm 
Local

Zenith wrote:

Huh! You're right... that is Jon! That same person shows up again on the next page describing Jon's screw-up with Polly in the first person. Wonder how I missed that.

Wow. So Jon and Sara have already had a fight and neither of them noticed it. I wonder if it was Jon who got the lucky graze through Sara's garb? I'm beginning to suspect that that boy really does have some magic adept in him.

As for "Bunny"... wtf. It seems that when I hit "quote", the name I'm responding to is automatically filled in as "Bunny". I manually changed it this time (it displays fine on the forum page), but that is weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:29 pm 
Expatriate

Vendo wrote:
Bunny wrote:
Forrest wrote:
Bunny wrote:

See now, the way I see it, that couldnt possibly have happened. John wasn't with that group, even if the man left alive looked very much like him. Notice how "John lookalike" has his trigger finger removed here.
Now, if this were John, he'd be stuck unconcious, bleeding, and in the middle of nowhere. No hope of magic to save his trigger finger. So he'd have no left index finger. The John we see has a left index finger. He also has no visible injuries when we first see him.

This was a John lookalike.

i see what you mean... though, his pointer finger looks fine under the long lines representing the fast motion.. the only ones that looks messed up are his index, and middle finger but they look bloody as opposed to just cut, and the cuts in other panels had clear seperation and blood flying from them... i think its jon... but unless poe comes in and says one way or the other i'm not going to rule out that it might not be jon.

Last edited by Zenith on Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:32 pm 
Expatriate

Forrest wrote:
Gwyon wrote:
Odd how many long-time lurkers are being drawn out by these newest developments.

And Bungieites as well, judging by your avatar. I know RMG and I are both old-school Bungiefen (me from the PiD/Marathon era, RMG from at least the Myth era)... how many other Poe fans here were part of the old (pre-Halo) Bungie community? (I say pre-Halo because being a fan of the launch title for a major console is hardly something as unique and differentiating as being a fan of an obscure minor developer. Tons of people are Halo fans. Very few are still old-school Bungie fans).

Ah yes, the Marathon trilogy will always have a special place in my heart, as well as many of it's mod scenarios; despite being currently outdated as hell in all respects save for it's storyline and in-game dialogue, it was still the source of some of the most fun I've ever gotten out of any game. I was also big into Myth (if Bungie were ever to make an MMO set in the Myth universe, you can bet I'd leave behind my epicced-out WoW toon in a heartbeat...), and I get most of my internet handles from Myth lore, including this one.

These days, I'm enough of a Halo fan that Halo 3 will probably be enough to motivate me to shell out for a 360, but it just doesn't compare to the old days of Marathon- you know, they can't make it too complex or give you too much information to process, or they'll lose the 10-second attention span of your average Xbox kiddie...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:38 pm 
Local

Forrest wrote:
Huh! You're right... that is Jon! That same person shows up again on the next page describing Jon's screw-up with Polly in the first person. Wonder how I missed that.

Whoops. Mix-up here: that is Jon on the page you linked. But he is not the one relating the story of the Ensigerum ambush. He is the one being told about it. So Jon was definitely NOT the injured survivor of Sara's ambush in Chapter 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:15 pm 
Addict

Bunny wrote:
bellofthedamned wrote:

i think the last six frames are seperated by the side they are on, three for bullet time and warrel, three for sara/jon... only problem is are they on the same timeline?

The left panel sequence has a normal human moving, while the right panel is following the path of a bullet. That, by itself, means the LPS is about two seconds and the RPS is about two microseconds. None the less, the two sequences are going should merge easily on Wednesday, as Jon and Sara are in motion and Warrel has to analyze and choose his next move.

In so-fashion . . .

LHS 1 --- Sare is leaping up high to get above Jon and use that same show-off underhanded slice Warrel favors for butchery, probably to lop off one of Jon's arms. She is using no or very limited time-fugue or she would have succeeded. Note that, in most instances, the time-stop magic is triggered to serve a single combat move. One jump, one block, one dodge. Otherwise, Sara could have killed all the Gewehr she engaged without their being aware they were under attack. So, she jumped to dodge the sodoff, Jon triggers both guns, and here has moved his head to see Sara coming down from above.

LHS 2 -- Somewhere between panels Jon has released both guns to free his hands. They are dropping to the floor below panel two, and both hands are visible, the left above the right, Jon's face to the right of his left hand, partially masked by the crook of his left elbow.

What Jon has done is to violently twist his body forward and down (note how he's left his coat-tail flapping behind him) pulling his left arm and shoulder in so Sara is coming down on him with the haft of her dolan, not that deadly blade. Note that Sara's right leg and knee are out of position, either making contact or about to make contact with Jon's right shoulder.

LHS 3 -- A split second later, Sara is still trying to scythe at Jon, her right hand blade moving down towards Jon's torso, but Jon's hands, coming up from his twist, are making contact with the right half of the haft of her dolan. I don't have a good reading on the depth of the drawing, but Jon will have two hands to one on one end of Sara's weapon, with his body centered under him, while her body is off panel to the left, sliding off Jon's shoulder. Given that, for all her extra training, she probably weighs in at 120-130 lbs to his 160-180 lbs and Jon has all the lever advantage he cold possibly want. Just compare the size of their hands; Sara's in big trouble.

Yeah, Jason Bourne would like this move. Duck, trap, and disarm. Clean and fast.

In the RHS, Warrel is poised to stab down at Sarine (or gloat some more), detects the gun being fired, and does a full body turn to his right and down, pulling the higher, left blade of weapon all the way across his body for the block. Now, if he has time-fugue just for that high-speed intercept, he has to decide whether to engage Jon or turn back to Sarine. That keeps him in real-time for a split second. If Sarine can still move, she can, indeed, "cut him a new one," the angle of attack allowing her to place it right next to the old one. That doofus flava she's wielding is just the tool for the job. I wonder if Elvish dental drills use the same principle?

Isn't the cloth bit to the right of RHS 3 Warrel's sash? Though it could be part of Sarine's costume.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject: Now did I fire six shots, or only five... or both... ?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:28 pm 
n00b

Bunny wrote:
wolf346 wrote:
Chapter 2 shows him reloading what should be a 6 round revolver.
http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2003-04-02

also shows it with a 5-round cylinder
http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2003-08-20

LOL! Now that is funny! Talk about having your cake, and eating it, too. :D I remembered the first picture of the cylinder, but couldn't find it, Thanks wolf346!

Tiamat wrote:
Old revolvers fire sub-sonic rounds. Although Jon's is probably close enough to the sound barrier that he still wouldn't have had time to block it in the time it took for his brain comprehend the sound. >_>

True on both points. Also, maybe they have a denser atmosphere than we do, which would increase the speed of sound, and slow the bullet. :D

Last edited by tysoniusRex on Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:35 pm 
Tourist

hi hi

Its quite possible that he has multiple pistols hidden away in his jacket.

Post subject: Off-topic, Bungie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:43 pm 
n00b

Forrest wrote:
... how many other Poe fans here were part of the old (pre-Halo) Bungie community? (I say pre-Halo because being a fan of the launch title for a major console is hardly something as unique and differentiating as being a fan of an obscure minor developer. Tons of people are Halo fans. Very few are still old-school Bungie fans).

I was a huge fan of Myth (missed out on Marathon, though I looked for it). Like many others, I felt somewhat betrayed when Halo was launched as an Xbox title, and Bungie became just another shop for MS Windows products. *sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:44 pm 
Green Text

icekatze wrote:
Its quite possible that he has multiple pistols hidden away in his jacket.

Since Poe is a fan of the Blade of the Immortal manga, it is also likely.

Post subject: Re: Now did I fire six shots, or only five... or both... ?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:05 am 
Local

tysoniusRex wrote:
Bunny wrote:
wolf346 wrote:
Chapter 2 shows him reloading what should be a 6 round revolver.
http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2003-04-02

also shows it with a 5-round cylinder
http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2003-08-20

LOL! Now that is funny! Talk about having your cake, and eating it, too. :D I remembered the first picture of the cylinder, but couldn't find it, Thanks wolf346!

That shot is still a six-cylinder. The sixth is hidden under Jon's finger. If you look at the arrangement, the cylinders are clearly in a hexagonal pattern; you just can't see the sixth of them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next