ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:19 pm 
Local

I like the term "Poeverse."

It has a nice ring to it.

From now on all discussions about science must state whether they are referring to "Ourverse" (that being the universe that you and the rest of the readers are currently sitting in)* or "Poeverse."

Comparing the two will result in the total destruction of all catgirls, unless the specified term "poeverse" is applied prior to beginning the discussion. Please, don't be the one to drop that bomb. :evil:

* If it so happens that you are not in the same universe as I am then you can feel free to compare your verse's science to Poeverse's to your little heart (or whatever's) content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:35 pm 
Expatriate

Gambit3le wrote:
I like the term "Poeverse."

It has a nice ring to it.

From now on all discussions about science must state whether they are referring to "Ourverse" (that being the universe that you and the rest of the readers are currently sitting in)* or "Poeverse."

And then there is the "verse" that most if not all forum members populate...

The "Perverse" *ba dum*

Post subject: SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OF PEOPLE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:04 pm 
Green Text

<center><table width=400px><tr><td>
Forrest wrote:
As far as I am aware, everything in this fantasy world is a magical construct built by gods. At least, all of the ancient magic-weilding uber-races seem to think so.

We could get into some nifty Xenogears-like mischief here.

Deadly Sin No.8 wrote:
The "Perverse" *ba dum*

lol Robert Asprin joke</td></tr></table></center>

Last edited by Kest on Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:06 pm 
Tourist

hi hi

Quote:
As far as I am aware, everything in this fantasy world is a magical construct built by gods. At least, all of the ancient magic-weilding uber-races seem to think so.

Or so the Paedagogusi would have you believe! Dun Dun Duuuun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:32 pm 
Addict

Kian wrote:
BandMan2K wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
Scient wrote:
Do dragons even exist in poeverse?

Actually, Dragons don't make sense. There are no six-limbed vertibrates that would support the evolution of Dragons. That's true in RL as well. Instead, we have birds, a four-limbed vertebrate. We can also have Wyverns, another four-limbed vertebrate. Dragons, with their four legs and two wings, are a six-limbed vertebrate and are not a real option in our evolutionary bio-sphere. I suspect that it would stretch our suspension of disbelief too much.

In MaCaffrey's 'Pern books' ("Dragonriders of Pern", etc) she had an entire eco/bio system filled with various six-limbed vertebrates from which the Dragons were derived via genetic manipulation. Of course, that is SciFi where the rules of these things are much stricter than in fantasy.

That may be so, but considering the many types of Dragons that are drawn throughout the world, last time I checked there were also some images of Dragons with four limbs but the front two were winged like how bats and other flying animals are set up. It might be inconcieveable for a four-legged dragon with tail & wings, but a dragon with two wings/arms and two legs could fit within your model.

That's what a wyvern is.

Oh...well that explains it. I didn't really know wyvern was the name for those types of dragons. I learned something new. Thanks for the knowledge.

Sifu of Corpse Child

Caecus fides est hostilis veritatis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:37 pm 
Local

Slamlander wrote:
Zherical wrote:
On a totally unrelated note, it's 4am wednesday morning.

I'm dying to know what heppends! :(

What the hell timezone are you in? It must be Oz, right? It's only 20:34CET here and I know that the US West Coast hasn't seen lunch yet.

I live in NZ. It's currently 7:36pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:01 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Zherical wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
Zherical wrote:
On a totally unrelated note, it's 4am wednesday morning.

I'm dying to know what heppends! :(

What the hell timezone are you in? It must be Oz, right? It's only 20:34CET here and I know that the US West Coast hasn't seen lunch yet.

I live in NZ. It's currently 7:36pm

Okay thanks! You're almost exactly 12 hours out from me, in CET.

Post subject: Re: Edited to remove the sodding emoticons :roll: :roll: :v :v etc
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:04 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Forrest wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
I was talking about naturally occuring Dragons. Magical constructs are always an exception :wink:

Then again, Tsuiraku is no slouch in the magic department and they seem to treat it like it's nothing more than neat fancy physics, no gods involved, and that 'magical radiation' (from meteorites no less) had something to do with the evolution of different species in the world (see Meji's little rant in the gihugical library in Tsuirakushiti).

But from what we've seen so far, the people on the 'gods exist and created everything' side of things seem to have good evidence in their favor, so it's possible that everything in the world there was just conjured up ex nihlo from the minds of Anilis and Senilis. Or maybe it was just the humanoids, and everything else is naturally evolved or more recently magically created by humanoids. And there's still the question of who or what the gods are, which has been lingering in the back of my mind since chapter 1. I suspect, from Lorenzel Vol 1, that we may discover that they were some sort of aliens or beings from another plane of existence, as they were said to have come here from somewhere else, and that their creation of life here was in atonement for the damage caused in the battle that killed Exitalis. (Harkening back to that old theory of mine).

All this makes me wonder. Is Ellis an ordinary cat who was magically given wings and the ability to think and speak, or was he conjured out of thin air by some Familiar Pet Factory?

I believe that he came out of a Familiar Factory.

Post subject: Re: Edited to remove the sodding emoticons :roll: :roll: :v :v etc
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:19 am 
Native

Slamlander wrote:
Forrest wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
I was talking about naturally occuring Dragons. Magical constructs are always an exception :wink:

...stuff was here...

All this makes me wonder. Is Ellis an ordinary cat who was magically given wings and the ability to think and speak, or was he conjured out of thin air by some Familiar Pet Factory?

I believe that he came out of a Familiar Factory.

Did he? I seem to recall a reference to a different sort of familiar, micro-unicorns, being inbred. Admittedly, this were made by Ellis, but it does seem to imply that at least some familiars are non-factory types.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:35 am 
Addict

Just because something is (magically) mass-produced doesn't mean it wasn't bred.

Look at fish farms.

^-^'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:25 am 
Local

Saturnalia wrote:
I suggest we apply lubricated vibrating objects to Meji and observe what happens.

Too late, if the grafitti on the bathroom wall is to be believed.

Imp-Chan wrote:
Just because something is (magically) mass-produced doesn't mean it wasn't bred.

Look at fish farms.

^-^'

A Dorkfish familiar?...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:58 am 
Green Text

<table width=400px><tr><td>
Ellis wrote:
She caught me on a corndog! I was swimmin underneath the ocean, and I said 'What's a corndog doin underneath the ocean?' But you know me, I love them corndogs!"
</td></tr></table>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:40 am 
Tourist

The difference in fantasy between dragons and wyverns isn't as cut and dry as 4 limbed vers 6 limbed.

Its more Intelligent vs Beastial.

Dragons are normally intelligent and 6 limbed, but they could also be 4 limbed.

Wyverns are more instinctual and 4 limbed by precedent, but again, its not a garunteed thing.

In reality, they are two different names for the same generic thing, just descriptive of the specifics. And even then, the names aren't set in stone.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9