ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:57 pm 
Local

Michael Poe wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
[
So . . . she's threatening these gentlemen with an empty gun? Cripes, she's got bigger balls than her girlfriend.

We should take up a collection and get her a repeater. The pump carbine Michael Douglas used in Romancing the Stone was a really fun weapon. Of course, Leah would be staring at Kathleen Turner the whole movie.

Sign . . . KT in her prime = Sarine in a good mood

Yeah... that leads into the next page.

Single-shot rifles are still pretty much the norm for the most part.

In fact Veracia only just upgraded their small number of riflemen up from crappy muzzle loaders.

Repeaters exist, but still extremely new and cost a small fortune and in Northern Confederacy would more than likely attract more thugs than it would deter.

There's really only two countries actually producing firearms.

The confederacy, who are intentionally only exporting the cheapest, low-grade stuff they got. (they do have much, much better but those are kept strictly to themselves and often won't even trade between the other city states in the Confederacy)

And Farrel, which retro engineered the cheap confederacy stuff and eventually started producing much better firearms of their own. (still charging out the ass for them, of course, because they can)

The Gewehr Wraiths were particularly fortunate in this regard, as to have a number of VERY clever and quite skilled private blacksmiths who stuck around with them from the Gewehr's days as a 'proper' mercenary guild. And to have gotten a hard start on everyone else, firearm technology wise, by realizing that firearms were going to be the next big thing while the rest of the guilds were still stubbornly sticking with their swords and traditions. There are even a few Gewehr pushing for the group to stop the killing crap and just switch to selling guns, claiming the money would probably be about the same.

Um... yeah, it's pretty obvious that, before being awkwardly wedged into ES, the Gewehr were originally created for a story I was planning about a group of samurai in feudal Japan who encountered firearms for the first time and immediately decide to adopt them as their favored weapons in place of the katana, causing them to be shunned by the rest of Japanese society and eventually degrading into a group of ninja like mercenaries.

The funny thing is Proto-Jon and Proto-Sara both started life as basically the same character. I just could never decide if I wanted the main character to be a smart ass guy in his late twenties, or a sullen, nearly emotionless girl... beside gender/personality, they were nearly identical, same outfit, (okay, almost, the female version didn't have pants) same background, etc.

Do you put this stuff into your novels? Its important info that would be otherwise missed, i rekcon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:10 pm 
Addict

Michael Poe wrote:
The rife (and that whole panel) ended up a bit funky. Probablty because I didn't have a clear idea want I wanted it to look like at the time. The barrel's way too thick, the lever's too small, in the wrong place a bit and hard to notice, the stock's messed up. It's suppose to be a crappy bastardized single shot rifle, straight-pull bolt action, breech loading, etc...

Cool. I had one of those once, though only a .22 rimfire. Used it for firearms safety training in the 6th grade.

Apparently my father and his brothers picked it up used back in the 1920s. They would get sent out with this crude little rifle (the bolt could fall out of it) and a handful of .22 shorts (slightly more potent than a pellet gun) and told to get enough rabbits to feed nine people for supper.

Dead shots, all four of them. Hunger is a great training motivator.

With the single shot bolt Leah can have rounds in her hand and still do the dramatic and ominous Mauser reload click-click , click-click, made famous in The Longest Day.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:20 pm 
Local

Kestenvarn wrote:
Forrest wrote:
Is there a world map of the Poeverse online anywhere?

Wiki.

Looked there, found only pictures of individual countries on their respective entries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:33 pm 
Green Text

How did you manage to see the map of each specific entry but not the all-encompassing one on the main page?

:confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:47 pm 
Addict

Location: In front of the computer, doing things best left undescribed
Boss Out of Town wrote:
Michael Poe wrote:
The rife (and that whole panel) ended up a bit funky. Probablty because I didn't have a clear idea want I wanted it to look like at the time. The barrel's way too thick, the lever's too small, in the wrong place a bit and hard to notice, the stock's messed up. It's suppose to be a crappy bastardized single shot rifle, straight-pull bolt action, breech loading, etc...

Cool. I had one of those once, though only a .22 rimfire. Used it for firearms safety training in the 6th grade.

Apparently my father and his brothers picked it up used back in the 1920s. They would get sent out with this crude little rifle (the bolt could fall out of it) and a handful of .22 shorts (slightly more potent than a pellet gun) and told to get enough rabbits to feed nine people for supper.

With the single shot bolt Leah can have rounds in her hand and still do the dramatic and ominous Mauser reload click-click , click-click, made famous in The Longest Day.

The Cricket is a rather popular .22 bolt-action rifle, breech-loader. There was a variant called the Davy Cricket, back when Davy Crocket was having a come-back as a tall tale/folk music icon.

A bolt-action breech loader can be reloaded QUITE rapidly. Heck, just this morning I watched a clip of a WWI Austro-Hungarian soldier emptying his bolt-action rifle (five shots) in a about ten seconds. Then he snatched a cartridge from a pouch on his belt, chambered it, fired. Lather, rinse, repeat. He had a pretty good rhythm going and was firing a shot about every four seconds. That's crazy skill.

Poe, if you need visual references to old-fashioned or unique looking firearms, just ask me. I have a folder with a couple THOUSAND firearm images in it, many of which could be modified with little effort to fit into the ES visual style.

Pyro: Noun. Practicioner of the ancient and gentle arts of burning shit down and blowing shit up.

DNI'd by actor_au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:53 pm 
Addict

If that is one of the piece of crap, mass produced early rifles referenced earlier... the thing is probably barely more accurate than a blunderbuss. The guy standing behind yon lesbian probably wouldn't be safe. We can only hope that she has been using that same gun for enough years that she can compensate for whatever fuckery it pulls. And pray it doesn't explode in her hands as a lot of early guns were known to if they got wet or dinged a bit in combat or were just having a bad day.

Of course, there is something vaguely appealing about carrying a big stick of everybody dies... in a shit your pants sort of way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:59 pm 
Local

Labrat wrote:
Of course, there is something vaguely appealing about carrying a big stick of everybody dies... in a shit your pants sort of way.

Yes, yes there is that.

I can't even imagine what the first people to go up against guns in a battle must have thought. I'm sure it was painfully obvious that swords were on the way out. It is interesting to me that Poe has chosen to set his story in a time when the gun is just becoming the popular way to kill your enemies.

The contrast is nice and meaty, you have on one side, the very traditionalist sword and knife wielding guys, and on the other side, the very modernist "shoot you from a freaking long way off and laugh all the way to the bank" kind of guys.

From a purely sporting and "moral" standpoint, I'd have to side with the traditionalist guys. But, from a survivalist POV, Gimmie a gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:38 pm 
Addict

Of course we are just reinventing all the crap the dwarves had already cooked up millions of years ago. Rayguns are the least of what they brandished. Not enough to kill an enboobened moth, but enough to scour everything to the horizon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:04 am 
Local

Enboobend moth?

Pics or it didn't happen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:22 am 
Local

Labrat wrote:
Of course we are just reinventing all the crap the dwarves had already cooked up millions of years ago. Rayguns are the least of what they brandished. Not enough to kill an enboobened moth, but enough to scour everything to the horizon.

:-o

Millions of years?

Rayguns?

Bwah?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:49 am 
Local

Killjoy wrote:
Labrat wrote:

Millions of years?

Rayguns?

Bwah?

The Paedagousi Coquette's lecture to her cohort, The Paedagousi Copulation, concerning the subtle differences in boom-stickery as wielded by grumpy hominids. Aka '"Vmm-BOOM!" vs. "pow-pow!"'.

Millions of years because that seems to be the time-scales the back-story operates on here. Anilis was rejuvinating at least a few hundred thousand years according to Nookie, and that doesn't even ecompass the entirety of the Elven race's existence, and they're the toddlers of the piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:02 am 
Expatriate

Killjoy wrote:
Labrat wrote:

Millions of years?

Rayguns?

Bwah?

I doubt the millions of years statement, that is a mite to long for anything to survive. Maybe tens of thousands at most.

He is referring to a statement by Kawaii. The sound of the weapon that the dwarf shot her with makes me believe it was something like a gauss rifle though.

Not quite sure about where the "scour everything to the horizon" came from. Maybe someone else can fill us in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:08 am 
Addict

Boss Out of Town wrote:
Michael Poe wrote:

My Grandfather had a .22 when he was a kid in the Depression. Passed on to my Dad who passed it on to Nasty Nate. (Dad and I haven't really talk for the last few years so Nate's the only one he really considers his son. I'm pretty much Persona Non Grata) Needs to be cleaned up a bit and the barrel re-blued but she still fires. In fact I on a couple occasions of using it I accidentally pulled the bolt back so fast that it did slide all the way off. Made me wonder if it was still good but the sights are still dead-on.

We also had a 12-gauge shotgun called "The Mule" but it got lost in the shuffle during my father's second divorce.

Sifu of Corpse Child

Caecus fides est hostilis veritatis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:54 am 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Zherical wrote:
Enboobend moth?

Pics or it didn't happen!

You know, a bunch of y'all really do need to spend some time with the Wiki.

The wiki is good, the wiki knows all, the wiki can cure n00bs of n00bishness.

Ellis was the first to call them 'moths with tits', aka 'enboobend moth'. As for what 'them' are, look up Paedagogusi in the wiki.

Notes:
1: I think we just coined a new term, RTFW, as opposed to RTFM.
2: I just finished adding in [to the wiki] Poe's revelations of last night.
3: I gotta get back to work on my stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:48 am 
Green Text

Slamlander wrote:
1: I think we just coined a new term, RTFW, as opposed to RTFM.

Thank you. I will be using this term.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:45 am 
Addict

Labrat wrote:
If that is one of the piece of crap, mass produced early rifles referenced earlier... the thing is probably barely more accurate than a blunderbuss. The guy standing behind yon lesbian probably wouldn't be safe. We can only hope that she has been using that same gun for enough years that she can compensate for whatever fuckery it pulls. And pray it doesn't explode in her hands as a lot of early guns were known to if they got wet or dinged a bit in combat or were just having a bad day.

Damn, what kind of gun manufacturers did you have to deal with in your youth? Are you referring to the stuff produced for government contracts? In the American Civil War, they popularized new term, "shoddy," for all the trash crooked contractors sold to to the army. American civilians didn't usually have to put up with boom-sticks that went boom in their faces. Free market economy and all that. But it sounds like info I should add to my mental library.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:11 pm 
Local

Kestenvarn wrote:
How did you manage to see the map of each specific entry but not the all-encompassing one on the main page?

:confused:

Because I usually start with <A HREF="http://www.errantstory.com/wiki/">this page</A> and never bothered to click the "community portal" link, which I figured was for people interested in editing the wiki (which I do not have the time to do).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:58 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
He has a point Kest. That is a rather non-standard location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:21 pm 
Addict

Location: In front of the computer, doing things best left undescribed
Boss Out of Town wrote:
Labrat wrote:

Damn, what kind of gun manufacturers did you have to deal with in your youth? Are you referring to the stuff produced for government contracts? In the American Civil War, they popularized new term, "shoddy," for all the trash crooked contractors sold to to the army. American civilians didn't usually have to put up with boom-sticks that went boom in their faces. Free market economy and all that. But it sounds like info I should add to my mental library.

It should be noted that a large of firearms, preferred by "urban youth" due to their incredibly low prices, are pieces of shit. Raven, Jennings, Lorcin, Vulcan/Hesse, and the jamomatic Tec-9 all come readily to mind.

Heck, I've held a Jennings 9mm pistol. It wasn't a shitty gun, it was a manually-detonated hand grenade. It was literally made of pot metal that didn't even have a uniform consistency.

But, in the 1800's and early 1900's, when firearms were largely made by hand and customers were more discriminating, quality skyrocketed. The Colt 1873 SAA is still considered the finest single-action revolver of all time. Mauser c1896 pistols were so well-made, the vast majority of them are still operational today. Can't say as much for the Spanish and Chinese copies of them, now can we. Heck, a large number of firearms invented from the 50's to the present day have come and gone, but guns made from the mid-1800's to 1940's are still popular and still operational today. John Moses Browning's inventions are still going strong; his BAR and 1919 machine guns were used in both world wars (the 1919 being a slight improvement of his earlier machine gun, explaining why the design was used in both wars when the model year is after the first one), his 1911 pistol was used by all branches of the military until the late 70's and still remains in use by some marine units and special forces (and is the single most popular pistol design in the world), and his M2 .50-cal machine gun is STILL in use today.

It would definitely not surprise me if the majority of firearms available in the world of ES were high quality and designed to out-last the user.

Pyro: Noun. Practicioner of the ancient and gentle arts of burning shit down and blowing shit up.

DNI'd by actor_au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:31 pm 
Local

I wonder if the wraiths get more pissed off about cut up guns then people being killed? Back when Sara was kicking ass waaaay at the start, she cut up one gun, but seems to have left the other ones alone. Think they went back for the guns and ammo?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next