ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:58 pm 
Addict

Its from one of Mark Twain's works, published after his death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:45 pm 
Native

BloodHenge wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
[...]bound labor (white and black sharecroppers) still worked southern fields into the 1960s.

True enough. All eight of my great grandparents were (white) sharecroppers in Edgecombe County, North Carolina. My mother used to go to her grandparents' farm and help loop tobacco during the harvest.

On the flipside of this our neighbor's great grandfather bought a 1904 Case Steam Tractor as soon as they arrived in the area, within a few years they had replaced every pieces of manual driven equipment with mechanized equivalents by about 1915.
But we have such a limited population up here that we traded the horse and the work crew for full mechanization as soon as we could because it cost a good deal of money to keep on full work crews and horses (especially once the winds scoured everything).
So depending on their population situation they could be using large scale mechanized industry or they could be relying on a massive workforce of largely unskilled labor. Of course the ruling government would also have a hand in this. They could be using manual labor for a lot simply because it is quite cheap to keep them around while establishing heavy industry can be taxing on a countries coffers. But we have to assume that they at least have the technical means to establish machine and foundry works to produce relatively modern firearms. Guns of the type shown so far didn't really come into widespread use till the mid 1800's in the United States.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:42 pm 
Addict

Gerbera345 wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
[...]bound labor (white and black sharecroppers) still worked southern fields into the 1960s.

True enough. All eight of my great grandparents were (white) sharecroppers in Edgecombe County, North Carolina. My mother used to go to her grandparents' farm and help loop tobacco during the harvest.

On the flipside of this our neighbor's great grandfather bought a 1904 Case Steam Tractor as soon as they arrived in the area, within a few years they had replaced every pieces of manual driven equipment with mechanized equivalents by about 1915.

But we have such a limited population up here that we traded the horse and the work crew for full mechanization as soon as we could because it cost a good deal of money to keep on full work crews and horses (especially once the winds scoured everything) . . .

Sounds about right. Full mechanization of farming would would naturally occur first in areas where partial mechanization had already occurred. That first stage, in the American Midwest, began with the invention of the McCormick reaper (1831) and continued in the following decades with the invention of many other kinds of horse-drawn and horse and mule-powered farm-implements. This eliminated an entire class of farm laborers and kept rural population density well below levels in similar regions around the world. It also made the farm economy very efficient, which powered the American export economy and provided a steady capital flow into urban banking systems. So, when engineers started producing machines that could replace horses and mules, the capital was there to build them and the rural economy was "lean" enough to absorb the new machinery without social disruption.

"We are not going to die! And do you know why? Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die. And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and <i>polka will never die!</i>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:26 am 
Expatriate

Lean populations might be why the NC is intact.. at least it seems to be.
Then again it's a confederacy and the different areas seems quite independant of each other.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3