ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:01 am 
Addict

Graybeard wrote:
Anyway, Ian and Meji should be showing up soon to kiss it and make it better, so we'll see how Anilis-powered healing works on these little curiosities.

I would prefer to see either Ian or Meji try it with Riley. Now that would be smexyness.
Mmmm.... Ian going down on Riley. Mmmm....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:01 am 
Addict

Location: In front of the computer, doing things best left undescribed
Being asthmatic myself, I can definitely confirm that sometimes, it just hits you out of nowhere. At first it's just a cough, that quickly becomes a choking, gagging struggle for breath that leaves you wheezing and dizzy anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

Needs something to trigger it though, whether it's an allergic reaction or sudden and intense physical exertion (such as fleeing for your life from a bunch of horny, pissed off drunks).

Pyro: Noun. Practicioner of the ancient and gentle arts of burning shit down and blowing shit up.

DNI'd by actor_au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:42 am 
Tourist

Labrat wrote:
'Make due' can be correct... if archaic. A due being a sum of money or a budget or a tax. The word can also mean 'fitting' or 'rightful', thus explaining 'due cause' and 'due north' respectively.

Or Poe could have just been spelling out a bit of an accent or, slightly more likely, intentional mis-pronunciation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:55 am 
Local

Forrest wrote:
drunk wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
normalphil wrote:
Would half-elf resistance keep a person from being magically healed from consumption? If so, could be that. Asthma is more of a wheezing gasping for breath that isn't there than full blown chest-spasm that creeps up on you then floors you.

Nah, Tuberculosis isn't due to a genetic fault. Antibiotics puts paid to that bug fairly nicely. I would guess something on the order of asthma or something similar.

I think the point was that they don't have antibiotics to put pay that bug, and therefore should someone get it the normal cure would probably be magic. Half elves being genetically resistant to magic could make the disease uncureable. Assuming, of course, that they don't have antibiotics for it.

Except that a magic cure wouldn't be cast on the half-elf herself, since she's not the thing that's broken; it would be cast on any little buggers inside of her. Same way antibiotics work; our bodies are naturally resistant to them, since we have rather kick ass immune systems, and that's why they don't kill us. But the little bacteria that make us sick aren't so resistant to the antibiotics, so they all die off.

Which might make magic-resistant half-elves easier to cure of contagious diseases, because you can use a bigger "dose" of whatever magic kills the germs. Unless, of course, it's something like a personal anti-magic field, negating all magic that tries tot ake effect within your bodily space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:49 pm 
Addict

Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.
Graybeard wrote:
If you really want to get into a discussion of the biochemistry of antibiotics here, we can do that; there are people present who actually know something about the subject (paging Gaalec, and btw, Slamlander, I'm really impressed at the number of things you're wrong about on this one).

Well, considering that I flunked Organic Chem, no wonder, doh! :-)

I cook and I make my herbs the same way, I follow recipies, with modifications. I'm a physicist/engineer and don't mind bio-sciences types knowing shit that looks like magic to me :-)

However, I do know a bit of herbal. I make Willow bark tea and know which California mushrooms won't destroy your kidneys. I also know which combination of spices to use to get just the right amount of afterburn in your chile, burritos, or Nasi Goreng. Is there a science to it, no way. That stuff is ritual and magic (art), supplanted by a lot of trial and error, to me.

However, I am also an historian and you would be surprised at greco-roman and chinese pharmacopae. It's a hobby of mine. :-D

All I'm saying is that it doesn't take high-tech to have a basic pharmacology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:28 pm 
Local

Well, I passed my O-chem (albeit barely), but we should probably go at stuff like that from history. I recall there being a pretty damn significant gap between the discovery of penicillin and the application of penicillin (literally a generation or more), owing to the technology to purify it just not being there when they found out about its potential. Heck, the guy that discovered it had to go to the guy that eventually figured out how to refine it in order to get some. A bread-mold poultice just isn't the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:58 pm 
Addict

What she might be having is an immune response to something... the high lord of all allergy attacks. They can take you down real quick. The whole elven anti-magic thing might actually me a magically enhanced, overactive immune system.

If you want to see the freaky stuff something like that can do, read A Planet Called Treason by Orson Scott Card. On an isolated (read interdicted) world one nation state selectively bred themselves for about three thousand years. By the time the story begins, members can regrow any bodypart that is lost in minutes, hours, or days. The cost is that about 1% or their population goes horribly mutant, literally growing extra limbs or going herm or otherwise deforming until the stacked deformities eventually kill them. Cut an extra limb off and two more grow in its place due to overcompensation.

Considering a possibility such as this, I figure that the half elves have got it pretty easy.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2