ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: "I just want to be there for someone I care about"
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:31 am 
Offline
Local
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:56 pm
Posts: 162
Location: The last freedom moped out of Nowhere City
aneuteloi wrote:
RMG wrote:
"I'm sure he and I will adjust to Texas just fine."


This bugged me too. I was wondering if those two would hook up or are just really good friends. I know I wouldn't switch states so easily for someone else. Note the ff. strips. They kinda hint at something...


The latest comic* seems to shed a bit of light on the subject, although it doesn't resolve the ongoing 'will they/won't they' uncertainty...

(Edited at Randy's request - 02-20-2006 in the archives)

* Image

_________________
... and brush yer teeth three times a day. Lord Cthulhu commands it, seeds of man!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:45 am 
Offline
n00b
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:16 am
Posts: 4
Location: Washington,DC
I'm divided whether they should begin a romantic relationship or not. On one hand, it could be the begining of the end of the series (as someone said on the livejournal comment board the "X-Files" factor. While it could be the hilarious begining of a lovely relationship. I really hope that it's the latter.

I wonder if ChooChoobear would play hide and go seek with Davan/PeeJee's kid, if they ever had one. :3nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:03 am 
Offline
n00b

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:48 am
Posts: 10
this is a good one,

he shows, as if often ignored in american media, that actions, how openhearted they may have been, can of will always have an undesired effect. "think before you act, idiot".

well done randy,
sculy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:15 pm 
Offline
n00b

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:09 pm
Posts: 1
The way he writes, it will either be something passively attempted and simply ignored and/or forgotten by at least one of the characters, or the even more awkward direct and aggresive approach in which they try to work something out, but no matter how they begin their's the highest probability that it won't work. It's a good thing, as passive aggressive writing is very boring. Also, having two of the main characters have a serious relationship without ending it in a somewhat major story shift is poor writing. The story becomes generic and bland that way.

_________________
Awaken the Third


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: my lousy 2 cents.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:37 pm 
Offline
n00b

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:01 pm
Posts: 5
while 2 main characters have hooked up, i.e. Jason and Aubrey, hooking up a central character with another main character has its consequences. the love interests of Davan provided expansion of the world, e.g. Branwen and Mike. Mike's character would not have developed if Davan was not dating Branwen. Granted Monette brought in Lisa. I really don't know what the fuck I am talking about. I just have a feeling about the whole thing between them not going to happen yet. There is still the Jhim issue, and whether or not that needs to be resolved at all.

Moreover, there is only so much a friend can do without the others consent. But thats just the view of a bored Filipino kid.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:18 pm 
Offline
n00b

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:52 am
Posts: 3
Of course, there's the fact that Davan is just about the only guy who's never let PeeJee down. After a series of bad relationships and fairly substantial changes in the lives of those around her, PeeJee is finding herself alone - even Mike is seeing someone else, instead of spending all his hours forlornly stalking her. Davan has long been a constant for PeeJee, and she may very well simply be refusing to accept that he might leave and have a life without her in it. Jason has a point here - he's trying to subtly tell PeeJee that what she thinks is best for Davan or wants for Davan isn't necessarily what he wants or needs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:09 am 
Offline
n00b
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:01 am
Posts: 2
Location: Somewhere that sucks... in the US
superfrogsavesdc wrote:
I wonder if ChooChoobear would play hide and go seek with Davan/PeeJee's kid, if they ever had one. :3nod:


If they had a kid Davan would probably eat it XD

But ya a part of me would like to see the relationship happen as they both make each other happy yet another part says "NO! Don't it's to cliche!" So I'm divided on it. The comics gotten kinda depressing for me lately... although I haven't kept up with it till about a week ago when I dug into the archieves and read from begining to end. I nearly cried when Faye died just cause I'd gotten to so well know the characters and become attatched to them... it was depressing to say that least.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:35 am 
Offline
n00b

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:18 pm
Posts: 1
Personally, I'll be very surprised if Peejee and Davan ever develops into something more than it is. The only way I could imagine it happening is just before Jhim/Branwyn was set to re-enter the picture with renewed interest. Their friendship just seems like such a cornerstone of their lives, I can't see that changing anytime soon. I have been wrong before.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:21 am 
Offline
Native
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:17 am
Posts: 871
Location: New York City
Davan is just as attached and just as willing to do anything for Aubrey also, but since she is with Jason, he hasnt realyl needed to, but the thought and the love is still there.
The only reason that this issue is even coming up is because they are both single and everyone is still subconciously brainwashed by watching desperate housewives....
now if everyone was watching 24 like they are supposed to, then they too woudl be clamoring for the return of that anti furry activist who freed peejees teddy bear from the clutches of the eBaybeast.

or if they were watching Lost everyone would want Davan to see what is in Peejee's "Hatch"

Blue Sun Missile
because Jack Baur would have killed all of the "others" on the island by now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:54 am 
Offline
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 4330
Location: The Murky depths of Northern Virginia
Blue Sun Missile wrote:
Davan is just as attached and just as willing to do anything for Aubrey also, but since she is with Jason, he hasnt realyl needed to, but the thought and the love is still there.
The only reason that this issue is even coming up is because they are both single and everyone is still subconciously brainwashed by watching desperate housewives....
now if everyone was watching 24 like they are supposed to, then they too woudl be clamoring for the return of that anti furry activist who freed peejees teddy bear from the clutches of the eBaybeast.

or if they were watching Lost everyone would want Davan to see what is in Peejee's "Hatch"

Blue Sun Missile
because Jack Baur would have killed all of the "others" on the island by now.


TELL ME WHERE THE CAT IS DAMNIT!

_________________
BDM was here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:20 pm 
Offline
Native
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:17 am
Posts: 871
Location: New York City
While i cannot in good faith reveal the location of the cat in question, i pose this comment...Dinner will be ready in another five minutes.

Blue Sun Missile
putting together two completely unrelated comments...or are they???

_________________
Image
Pintsize wrote:
"If Aliens ever really tried to contact us, it'd be through the internet, then 4CHAN would probably scare them off"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:30 pm 
Offline
Tourist
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:18 pm
Posts: 31
Location: Crossroads, Booger County
As much as I would love to see Davan happy, any lasting happiness would ruin the strip. His overwhelming bitterness/loneliness is the basis for the strip. It's why I tune in to S*P every day.

A relationship with PeeJee would kill the funny =(

Pix

_________________
Image
http://cobc.comicgenesis.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:47 pm 
Offline
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3142
Location: Detroit
Pixiest wrote:
As much as I would love to see Davan happy, any lasting happiness would ruin the strip. His overwhelming bitterness/loneliness is the basis for the strip. It's why I tune in to S*P every day.

A relationship with PeeJee would kill the funny =(

Pix


While I disagree with your assessment of whether or not it would kill the funny it has indeed been the basis to much of the humor. However Randy has shown that he can do many types of humor for many different characters. Davan's cynical nature and biting wit won't disappear just because he's with someone or happy. He was happy with Bran and the comic was still great.

I think that if Randy wants to take us down a different road as an artist he will do so with much laughter and enjoyment. While the funny may change a little in the direction it is coming from I don't think it will decrease at all. But then again Randy is my god and he can do no wrong.

_________________
Why are you not wearing my pants?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:05 pm 
Offline
n00b
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:41 pm
Posts: 1
Location: Sarasota, FL
I've recently re-read the entire series from the beginning, and I was surprised at how much it's drastically altered in tone and content over the years. The brazen, youthful snarkiness has really been replaced with a melancholy "dawning-of-adulthood" somberness. You never see the trio of Aubrey, Peejee and Davan just... hanging out like they used to. As much as I miss this element, I also acknowledge that this is the story that Randy needs to tell, and I've seen enough of his work to know that where he's taking us is more than worth the ride. For better or worse, this comic has grown up quite a bit. And as I step back and look at my own life, I think I've made a mutual progression.

Speaking of progression, I think a Peejee/Davan relationship is where this comic has always been heading. Sappy? Maybe. Realistic? Hell yeah. Welcome? It seems we're pretty mixed on that account. But I'm looking forward to it. That said, I don't believe Randy would leave behind the whole cast of characters to write a comic about Davan and Peejee living with an old man with a severe case of Alzheimers. I expect that would doom the book more than any pairing of main characters ever would. If they do move back to Texas, it'll be temporary and brief, which will make it all that more heart-wrenching.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:44 pm 
Offline
Local
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Posts: 368
Location: Washington
The sad parts aren't over yet, not within this chain of sad goings-on that's for sure. But if the persistent idiocy of characters like Kharisma is any clue, the jackassery isn't lapsing either : P
(Is jackassery ever going to be a real word? I don't think there are enough synonyms for the state of being dumb.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:41 pm 
Offline
n00b
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:39 am
Posts: 7
I'm sure there is an actual term for a comic like SP but, since I don't know it, this is going to be very wordy.

SP isn't a gag-a-day strip but it also doesn't have a big epic story-line. It's like a TV sitcom. It's got a beginning, it has an end (if we're lucky) but the middle is just this big grey area that the writer can do what he wants with. There are ongoing story-lines but they're sort of secondary.

Now, what's the quickest way to kill a sitcom? Pair off a main character with another and watch them live happily ever afer. They can have an awkward one-night stand or a bittersweet kiss or even a short relationship but it really HAS to be doomed. If it's not, it gets boring. That's why things end with "and they lived happily ever after," it's because nobody cares about that shit. I don't want SP to end and I don't want to see nasty breakups between characters i'm meant to like.

So, no. I don't think it would even be sort of a good idea for pee-jee and davan to hook up. To be honest, I didn't even like it when Aubrey and Jason got together.


(edit: fixed. i like to type things up, tear them apart, and put them back together again without giving them a proper once-over.)


Last edited by meli on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:31 pm 
Offline
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3142
Location: Detroit
[pedant]

meli wrote:
So, no. I don't think it would even be sort of a good idea for pee-jee and davan to hook up. To be honest, I didn't even like it when Aubrey and Jason got together.


[/pedant]

_________________
Why are you not wearing my pants?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:44 pm 
Offline
n00b
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:42 am
Posts: 5
Location: Portland, Or
Actually it was the fact I didn't really like that Aubrey and Jason got together that made the whole thing come together right for me.

I mean honestly, do you always like the pairing people you are around. Hell no. I can list off pairs I'd rather break apart with a sledgehammer.

If he does decide to have them hook up it'd be interesting. They do tend to balance certain aspects of eachother's personality out a lot.

_________________
'I'd offer to open the door for you, but that might disrupt the normal flow of Chauvinist energy out there and bring the whole world crashing down on me. I don't think I could survive an onslaught like that.' - Random Guy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:46 am 
Offline
Local
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Posts: 368
Location: Washington
meli wrote:
Now, what's the quickest way to kill a sitcom? Pair off a main character with another and watch them live happily ever afer. They can have an awkward one-night stand or a bittersweet kiss or even a short relationship but it really HAS to be doomed. If it's not, it gets boring. That's why things end with "and they lived happily ever after," it's because nobody cares about that shit. I don't want SP to end and I don't want to see nasty breakups between characters i'm meant to like.


Agreed, the only other reason being a higher cause: comedy. Because Davan tends to attract women whose personalities practically have barbed tentacles and retractable jaws. It would be a bad idea to deprive the strip of a major comical fuel source.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:00 am 
Offline
Native
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:17 am
Posts: 871
Location: New York City
people in general are not romanced by the actual concept of happiness.
they are romanced by the PURSUIT of happiness....


basically...
its not the desitination.
it is the chase to get there.
and the fun is enjoying the scenery along the way.


Blue Sun Missile
who will get there when we get there.

_________________
Image
Pintsize wrote:
"If Aliens ever really tried to contact us, it'd be through the internet, then 4CHAN would probably scare them off"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group