ZOMBIE FORUMS

It's a stinking, shambling corpse grotesquely parodying life.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I just love the shading in this story.
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:59 pm 
n00b

No really: it is so appropriate to the genre, and helps set this out as a different reality than the one we normally see these characters in.

The shading of this western RPG is also, well, just plain pretty.

But what's really nice is to see Randy's considerable artistic talent put to such a well balanced storytelling decision. It is the mark of someone who is a cut above the rest of the online storytellers you normally come across.

Thanks R! Love the work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:54 pm 
Local

I whole heartedly agree. If we're talking about Randy's artistic talent, I mostly enjoy how his style doesn't really seem to mimic much of any other style you'll see on the webernets, particularly the character designs themselves. Unless it's done really...really well, anime style characters are boring because of how commonplace the method is nowadays, so deviation is always welcomed.

There's life in his work, and it's the personality woven into both the art and the stories that has kept me coming back all these years : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:46 am 
n00b

I will not argue against the "anime" style of artwork's popularity and the design's exhaustion as of late; however, it is popular amongst both the moronic masses and minority of intellectual individuals for good reasons.

I hate to criticise Randy, but many of his character designs look rather similar in construction. (In opposition to your point.) This may be intentional or otherwise. It is to the point that someone with sufficient coding experience could create a "Randy Comic Creator" (Or titled otherwise, if you dislike puns) to bang out your very own characters. There are few different facial construction styles and methods of creating emotional facial features.

...but I digress. He did an excellent job in these recent comics. The shading is very interesting. However, I wouldn't report that his artwork is truly amazing-- especially for a comic. It's the storyline that keeps me coming back. If you're just looking for pretty pictures in a comic, then go no further than Megatokyo. Unfortunately, it's evolved to little beyond that. The artist has no grasp of closure. Milholland is just a cut above the rest in his verbalism.

I entreat you not to put something off simply because it is popular (i.e.- Randy's artwork)-- that's being closed-minded in its own right. It's as bigoted as disliking something simply because it is not popular. We're hitting back onto my main point. Don't dislike something simply because it's anime, or "jock"-esque, or gothic, or not gothic, or whatever your mad little heart desires. It's reverse prejudice, and that is as equally wrong and pathetic as normal prejudices. In short, the meaning preached by about 80% of Something Positive.

I've more to say, but I'd stopped caring by this point.